The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] 7 Overall Pick to Habs (Anderson/Dvorak)

I'm guessing MTL's later 1st rounder and/or 2nd rounder (1st from that round) would be involved, otherwise Anderson/Dvorak is an underwhelming return for the 7th overall.

Dorion going all out, since now that Melnyk is gone, whoever takes over as owner (succession or purchase) I'm guessing they'll want to clean the house and start fresh.  His days are numbered.  I think that would be good for that franchise, especially if they want to invest a little more resources in the front office.

Edited by timberz21

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Holy crap, MTL gettin' er done. If this happens they'll have three 1st rounders. That's what a retooling team needs to do....JR

Montreal isn't retooling, they are tearing the entire house down and rebuilding from the foundation up.  Vancouver was never in that position.  The owners never approved that.  Even Gillis talks about this...

This would genuinely be such a god awful deal for Ottawa I couldn't wouldn't be able to describe it in words.

Like, the 7th OA for an injured overpaid 3rd line centre with barely 60 points over the last 3 seasons and Dvorak who is gonna walk the second he gets a chance from a divisional rival who is already loading up and shedding cap.  They'd LOVE this in Montreal and Hughes would be a god.

Meanwhile in Ottawa they'd be thinking Redden is totally better than Chara again

48 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

This would be brutal for the Sens.

7th overall has a good chance of being better than either player. Then you can use the cap space to sign a free agent who's also better than both players.

Well we’ve had 2 top 7 picks in the last 8 years that aren’t as good as those players. If they really like a player you eliminate the risk of drafting a Virtanen or Juolevi. I’ll admit Anderson and Dvorak are very underwhelming names for the 7th overall but Ottawa be crazy. They did just draft Tyler Boucher (ranked late 1rst-2nd round pick) 10th overall just last year. Also maybe Ottawa would be dumping that Matt Murray contract in the deal with the 7th overall.

Edited by flickyoursedin

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well we’ve had 2 top 7 picks in the last 8 years that aren’t as good as those players. If they really like a player you eliminate the risk of drafting a Virtanen or Juolevi. I’ll admit Anderson and Dvorak are very underwhelming names for the 7th overall but Ottawa be crazy. They did just draft Tyler Boucher (ranked early 1rst-2nd round pick) 10th overall just last year.

True, but I don't think our draft misses should impact Ottawa's value of the pick. If they really like Anderson/Dvorak, both should be available for much cheaper. If that's MTL's asking price, best to walk away.

Boucher was a huge reach. Hopefully for their sake they learned from that going forward.

49 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

This would be brutal for the Sens.

7th overall has a good chance of being better than either player. Then you can use the cap space to sign a free agent who's also better than both players.

you can't if you're ottawa and nobody wants to sign there. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Anyone heard of that guy before?  Only roughly 1000 followers.  
No one else seems to be mentioning these rumours.

He’s referencing a recent article by Habs beat reporter Marco D’Amico:

There’s not a lot of meat to chew on in the article. It basically just says the Sens and Habs are talking (like pretty much every team is right now), Ottawa is open to trading their pick (for the right return—like pretty much every team), and speculates that the Sens might target roster players like Anderson and Dvorak, as part of a package return for the 7oa pick.

38 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

True, but that's all the more reason to draft and develop your own players.

Could trade 7th OA and have the players demand out right away.

they're on record wanting to find useful veterans to support the core they already have drafted. that's what their core has asked for. management has actually asked their players to try to convince other players to sign in ottawa. 

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

S***, we should offer them Garland and Pearson for 7oa....

We traded 9 guenther basically for garland so not out of the world of possible 

Amderson is so inconsistent in both his play and health I could never be happy about eating his contract 

id be very unhappy if I was a sens fan and they did that 

It's a confusing thought, a team trading the #7 overall for a couple of mid/late-20 year old middle 6 wingers, but OTT hasn't been a good playoff team in a long time and they want back in the playoffs.  Adding a couple of big, seasoned middle 6 players to their young core, might help them.