The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wright is pissed... he's gonna light it up for sure.  Kinda reminds me of Chychrun falling all the way down to the mid 1st round.  He had a serious chip on his shoulder after that and he's proving a ton of people wrong. 

Not good for us though …

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if he topped out at 6'1 200..which is average. 

It's no secret that I'm unhappy with most of the last 2 days but I'm thrilled with this pick. He wasn't on my radar because I thought he'd be looooong gone by 15.

I depends on his current height, he was not measured at the combine. My guess would be 5'10.5" 172 lbs. Likely tops out at 6' 190lbs if he grows more, hard to predict though everyone is different. I do think he will be fine in the NHL though once he adds some strength, will just have to keep his head up.  

7 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Really like that our guy was the #1 choice for taking the PP drop pass to carry the puck into the D zone.  Shows just how smart he is.  Damn this pick has got us another elite key core piece!  Thank God Benning is gone and we have our high picks again. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

My steals were:

1. Wright

2. Lekkerimaki

3. Kemell

4. Miro

5. Yurov

6. Kulich

7. Howard

Amazing value for draft position for all of them.

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Lambert and Luneau will look like really good value in hindsight as well.

Steals of the draft in my opinion: Lekkerimaki at 15, Howard 31, Casey 46, Luneau 53, Odelius 65.

Best reaches for me - hard to really know what was a reach without seeing other teams' lists, but just going by media rankings - Reid Schaefer at 32, Cam Lund 34, Topias Leinonen 41, Gavin Hayes 66.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Wright is pissed... he's gonna light it up for sure.  Kinda reminds me of Chychrun falling all the way down to the mid 1st round.  He had a serious chip on his shoulder after that and he's proving a ton of people wrong. 

I don't know why he's so put out.  Slafkovsky was considered the #1 pick by an awful lot of people and NJ had the

luxury of using their pick for a team need.  Sure,  the Coyotes went out on a limb, but hey...who you want to play

for, the Coyotes with their tiny arena and 500 fans; or the Kraken that have a real fan base and a great arena?

Neither is probably what you're thinking, but one of them were bound to pick him anyways.:sadno:

• Vintage 1

Why are people acting like Wright is somehow going to be better now that he was passed over by a few teams rather than being 1st?   If this is the situation then maybe we have the reason why he was passed over?  Shouldn't any team that drafted him, at any number, expect his absolute best no matter what?

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Why are people acting like Wright is somehow going to be better now that he was passed over by a few teams rather than being 1st?   If this is the situation then maybe we have the reason why he was passed over?  Shouldn't any team that drafted him, at any number, expect his absolute best no matter what?

It's a human thing and not something that is purely statistical.  Having something to play for, having a chip on your shoulder, etc makes a difference.   How often do we hear, "They just wanted it more."  

You can bet it's probably something that motivated Chychrun as well.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

He was 1 on lot of teams and scouts boards that’s why. And he’s been expecting and building towards being 1 for years. And he was passed on by a Canadian team when he thought they were gonna take him.

these kids are hyper competitive 

he gave them a death stare like ur gonna regret this too 

he’s got another log on the motivation fire 

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know why he's so put out.  Slafkovsky was considered the #1 pick by an awful lot of people and NJ had the

luxury of using their pick for a team need.  Sure,  the Coyotes went out on a limb, but hey...who you want to play

for, the Coyotes with their tiny arena and 500 fans; or the Kraken that have a real fan base and a great arena?

Neither is probably what you're thinking, but one of them were bound to pick him anyways.:sadno:

True....

Still, I'm sure for personal pride at least, it still matters, at which number you get picked....

Remember 'it is, what it is....'

He was quoted saying, he should be 1OA, so probably the first real slap in the face the boy has had...

16 hours ago, Muttley said:

This is hard for me to watch. I was really hoping watching these that I would see something I was missing with him when I watched the games the first time around and was tryng to watch all of the players of interest. #23

Pro's: I see a player that is incredibly offence minded. He offers great puck support in the offensive zone. He's good with quick stick lifts and pick plays to support team mates. He's sneaky af back door slides into open ice and we all know what he can do with his shot. He's got really good shake n bake getting defenders to move one way then catching them flat footed. I can see where his goal totals are coming from and it is hugely encouraging that he's able to score from everywhere and beat goalies clean. I also like that at least he was making superficial contact finishing some checks 

Cons: Pretty sure he didn't make a single play on the defensive side of the puck in this entire 23min video. He's not Pete. Not one take away, not one hard backcheck. I saw a kid flying the zone the moment his team touched the puck looking to poach a breakaway on every puck possession.

Maybe he was instructed to do this I don't know? When he did get those opportunities he didn't have the separation speed and was easily neutralized on one occasion leading to a goal against where he could have curled and waited for puck support maintaining possession.

Camping out completely covered for that 2 line pass. 

I won't go through the whole thing but you get the idea. I need to see more than goal scoring from him to get excited about. It's a good shift by shift there is lots to watch he's involved all of the time and his team is really looking to run the offence through his stick. 

I really hope that we can get him in camp and relay some messages to him. He is incredibly talented but there are aspects he is going to need to take seriously to reach his NHL potential. I really want to see this kid evolve into an elite all situations goal scorer. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1