The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big time disappointment this off-season so far?

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think it is fair to be disappointed that things didn’t happen today.
Have been waiting a long time for new group to put their stamp on the team and still haven’t. 

If the right deals didn’t come they didn’t come. Better not to be pressured into a bad deal. 
Just hoping for something to hang hat on and say this is PA’s team. 
So far some nice free prospects and a decent trade deadline that got rid of a malcontent and brought in another smallish d-man. 
Still want to see what JR and PA are thinking this team should go.

Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week.  Trader Jim not looking like trader Jim atm.

That's our problem is not enough size to have smallish Dmen not named Hughes when we're in a tough division we'd have to battle through a long season then playoffs on top where it gets crazy rough.

If JR can't find the balance and depth we've needed for all these years then it really doesn't matter what trades he makes. It will end the same as it always has. 

Take your time JR, build what's left around the core and push them hard. 

No more county club bit either as JR put it . All in or nothing.. can't or won't go all in? Bye...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now.... 

I was hoping for a Miller trade today also, but nothing happened. A trade could still happen in the next few days. The next natural trade point is after the top UFAs are gone in the free agency period. Some teams will be on the outside looking in after the top UFAs go, including some Cup contenders who might be willing to provide a good return for Miller at that point.  

I think he has to go before the season starts. Realistically, it would be tough to trade him at the deadline because the Canucks will be at least contending for a playoff spot and no one to trade away a top player in the midst of trying to make a playoff push. 

The Canucks did get a great pick at #15 in the draft today.

Allvin is careful and smart and patient and I would give the benefit of the doubt at this stage.  

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, North Kariya said:

JT is going to get traded to Pittsburgh for garbage. I can see it now!

Pittsburgh isn't going to be able to sign Malkin so they're going to need a centre.  A Miller trade is going to be better for them than free agency because they will be able to lower their cap hit by trading a player or two.  There is still a faint hope of signing Malkin before free agency on July 13.  At that point there will be some real pressure on the Pens to fill the hole at centre because by signing Letang, they have committed to continuing to try to win.  It turns out that Canuck brass prefers draft picks from 2023 anyways.

There was a lot of disappointment coming from the supposed deal that was made with the Islanders today.  The report that I heard on 650 presumed that the deal was involving Miller which was a total assumption.  It may just as well have been a trade involving a defenseman.  The deal with Montreal involved a bottom pair D going to the Islanders (Romanov).  I think that it was more likely a similar deal with the Canucks or simply a swap of 1st round draft picks 13th for 15th +

Keep cool, be patient.

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Petey and the Sedins.

@Heretic is right:  Why would we want to risk drafting another one of those three guys? 

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

How many cups do we have?

Case closed.

Sorry, my bar is very high.  

I hope I am wrong, time will tell.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Case closed.

You're cheering for the wrong team!

I'm a canucks fan because i like getting really close and then blowing it :D

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now. There is a good chance he regresses this year and the years to follow. It’s just such a big risk. We really needed a dman. This just change the team at all if they don’t trade him and I don’t get how you can bring everyone back. I know there is time but man it always feels like we are always the team looking and drooling over other teams  moves. I am tired of hearing how they couldn’t get something done. No picks added and no trade. Where are these so called big moves.? Might still happen but today was a big disappointment.  For those of you who think we need him, you need to give your heads shake. We are not anywhere near contention and our defense sucks. What are we keeping him for then?

He who posts last wins - Imgflip

• Haha 2

I see the usual suspects demanding a Miller trade are out again.

There is time to either:

-  Sign him for a good price and keep him as part of the core

-  Sign him for a good price and trade him for a D after the draft

-  Don't sign him and trade him for a D after the draft

-  Trade him at the deadline

And that doesn't include the fact we'll get a good player with the team to help make the playoffs even if he is traded.

If by disappointment you mean you re not glad we kept our best forward, so I enjoy your disappointment.

under Boudreau we are already a playoff team. One more week and we should have been in the series last year. 

We just need to twerk some settings here and there.

Kuzmenko in, it’s already a good step.

we just need to get ride of Dickinson as our main move and find a 3C replacement. 

Just for the sake of thinking about it : does Pearson at C have ever be tried ? 

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Case closed.

20+ years since a cup final for the current avs dynasty. We are at 11. Expect more growing pains ^_^

35 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was hoping for a Miller trade today also, but nothing happened. A trade could still happen in the next few days. The next natural trade point is after the top UFAs are gone in the free agency period. Some teams will be on the outside looking in after the top UFAs go, including some Cup contenders who might be willing to provide a good return for Miller at that point.  

I think he has to go before the season starts. Realistically, it would be tough to trade him at the deadline because the Canucks will be at least contending for a playoff spot and no one to trade away a top player in the midst of trying to make a playoff push. 

The Canucks did get a great pick at #15 in the draft today.

Allvin is careful and smart and patient and I would give the benefit of the doubt at this stage.  

Very well said. Kudos!

Pathetic whiny thread title lol.

Glad management didn't get impatient like some of the kids. If the right offer isn't there don't make it just for news clips. I swear sometimes we have some of the dumbest fans in the world.

• Cheers 1

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now. There is a good chance he regresses this year and the years to follow. It’s just such a big risk. We really needed a dman. This just change the team at all if they don’t trade him and I don’t get how you can bring everyone back. I know there is time but man it always feels like we are always the team looking and drooling over other teams  moves. I am tired of hearing how they couldn’t get something done. No picks added and no trade. Where are these so called big moves.? Might still happen but today was a big disappointment.  For those of you who think we need him, you need to give your heads shake. We are not anywhere near contention and our defense sucks. What are we keeping him for then?

So you'd rather they trade a 100 point forward for a garbage return? If other teams don't budge thats not the Canucks fault, this day was far from a disappointment, they added a legit goal scorer to their prospect pool who was ranked top 10 in the draft

If we stay mostly the same this year?  There is room.  We will have Andrei Kuzmenko, one absolute boost!

We will also be better if 2 or 3 or 4 of these young players, bolded most likely to do so, show reasonable to expect progress;

Vasili Podkolzin

Elias Pettersson

Brock Boeser

Spencer Martin

Nils Hoglander

Jack Rathbone

Jett Woo

Thatcher Demko

Quinn Hughes

William Lockwood

Linus Karlsson?

Even then? Its fair to think 2/3rds of the above young players have more to give! How hard would it be, for example, to think Spencer Martin can be better than Halak was last year? Rathbone versus Hunt... Being fair, declines from Miller (can he repeat a career year, Myers ar possibly expected? 

All of them, also Bo Horvat, are young enough we have not yet seen their best!  While his cap is not great, OEL is also capable of stepping up.  He produced better when Hughes was out.  What happens if Poolman comes out of hibernation?

The year after Klimovich starts to arrive?

Its not so bad Canuck fans!

• Thanks 1

You realize that we acquired Miller on the 2nd day of the draft right? 
How is holding off on a blockbuster trade for the 1st round of the draft a disappointment?

Maybe don't go into it with expectations next time. 

Edited by Laheys Liquor
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Very fair to be upset after 8 years of what's happened. People calling for patience is also forgetting Giroux was moved ( Tippett, a 2024 first-round draft pick, and a 2023 third-round pick). Hagel was moved for even more (2 1sts Raddysh andKatchuok). The ability to create excuses for management on CDC is amazing, but ok.. 

Seems more like management is undecided if they wanted to keep Miller/Boeser; keep or trade? If they had a clear direction, get it done already. 

But if we trade him before next season for a good return it's the same result right? Really you have no clue what they are doing. You're saying they should have made a move because you're bored even though they technically have 3 months to complete such moves. Okay then.

This is why our fanbase on here is obnoxious sometimes. New management that hasn't had the time allotted to make changes from one year to the next and people are jumping all over them. Is this like an engrained reaction?

Why not see what happens first and then bitch. 

And what are you talking about undecided on Boeser, they signed him to a 3 year contract?

• Cheers 2