The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is everybody giving up on Hoglander?

Rate this topic

MikeyD

Yeah I definitely agree with this take. 

I still have a lot of hope for Hoglander and he had a great first season. The dude is a physical beast (despite his size) which is always a good sign and has a really good hockey IQ. 

Yeah he had a down year, but that's okay. It'll take time to figure out the NHL and what his game in this league might be. The amount of trade proposals on here where we give him up for little to nothing is so strange. Why sell on him when his value is down? 

Who knows maybe he never makes it past the AHL level, but I still think the kid has a lot of potential and that the team should not give up on him at all. 

• Cheers 1

I agree, I think he just had a sophomore slump.  For me he is part of the 3rd line with the ability to move up based on injuries or performance.  He is valuable due to be a higher energy guy with some offence.  Gives us different looks if we need against other teams.  If I include Miller in the opening day lineup (Which I think he won't be there), and Pearson traded I see it as the following:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Podkolzin Miller Garland

Hoglander Horvat Mikheyev

Dickinson Lazar Lockwood

or if Garland is moved instead of Pearson:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Podkolzin Miller Mikheyev

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Dickinson Lazar Lockwood

Either setup gives you a 2nd line that can play 1st line mins if needed, a 3rd line that can play 2nd line mins if needed, but not really a 4th line that should be playing 3rd line mins quite yet.  Good depth regardless and Hogz is part of it regardless.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

No one has given up on him.  He is still on the roster and hasn't been traded away for scraps.  He has a lot to prove as a player though.  Hockey people who know a lot more than us say that he still needs to learn to be more complete of a player and he doesn't provide enough offence to cheat on the defensive side.

He will be in a big battle with our other wingers for ice time though and that is a good thing.  We have guys like Pearson and Mikheyev who are also really good penalty killers and can provide the same level of offence as Hoglander on top of that.  Garland is a beast 5v5.  I can see Hoglander being in the press box if he just can't beat out those guys and find himself a niche.

He isn't a lot cause, but he is by no means a legit top 6 winger in the NHL yet.

If no moves happen before the season (which I still don't expect) I could see lines being like.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Garland
Kuzmenko-Dickenson-Hoglander
Joshua-Lazar-Pearson

In that sort of configuration, Hoglander gets amongst the lowest ice time of all the forwards as Mikheyev, Lazar, and Dickenson would be primary penalty killers.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

EP

Miller

Bo

Garland

BB

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Podkolzin

Pearson

Assuming this is our top 9 in some combo, I don't see a role for Hoglander here.  I don't see him as better than these guys, nor do I see him as a 4th liner.

If we can move him and fill a whole, now or down the road, on D, he is our most tradable/least impact guy that can be dealt.

To me it is managing assets moreso than giving up on him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

EP

Miller

Bo

Garland

BB

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Podkolzin

Pearson

Assuming this is our top 9 in some combo, I don't see a role for Hoglander here.  I don't see him as better than these guys, nor do I see him as a 4th liner.

If we can move him and fill a whole, now or down the road, on D, he is our most tradable/least impact guy that can be dealt.

To me it is managing assets moreso than giving up on him.

Use Hogs as sugar to dump a contract?

Might be the plan to use Hogs and Mikey D as sugar.  Add these guys to Dump two Benning mistakes.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

This past season I've been perplexed with many Canucks fans who seem to have given up on Nils Hoglander and quite frankly somebody needs to give y'all a smack upside the damn head! The kid is still young, projected better than most of his age group and still has the capability of really adding to this forward group. I've even seen people post their lineups without the kid even in it. Hate to break it to ya, but he's gonna end up in our top 9 and he's going to be a pivotal player for us in that role. 

It isn't as if the kid has forgotten how to provide offense, he just had an off sophomore season which happens to majority of the rookies that enter the league. His hands are still great, he still has solid offensive IQ, he was just cheating the offense a bit throughout the season under a new head coach who didn't give him much of a leash. We shouldn't be tethering this kid and examining his game under a microscope. I personally think one of the few errors Bruce Boudreau made with this roster and the handling of it is his management of Hoglander. I get that you need to teach young players to "play the right way", but when you have a young offensive talent like we do in Nils, you kind of need to let him spread his wings a little. The defense will come. That's something that takes plenty of time regardless of whether you're an offensive or defensive player in the league. He'll figure it out. I don't think it was fair to scrutinize his defensive play as harshly as Canuck-land did, yet ignore other players who clearly were making the same mistakes run amuck in the line-up unhindered.

And dare I say it, his defense isn't even that bad. He has 25 takeaways in 60 games played. Those are pretty good numbers for a young talent. He had 25 giveaways as well. To have a young player not have a negative rating in takeaway/giveaway metrics is pretty good and shows responsibility. In his first season he had 42 takeaways. Those are good numbers for the amount of ice time he gets. Like I said though, he cheated offensively and didn't offer proper support up-ice in case of turnovers, but that's an easy fix. Off the puck he was better his first year defensively, but again, it's a down year. If that's as bad as he gets defensively, that's not bad. He's young. He'll figure it out. 

This kid is still a talent. I get that he's not a 1st round draft wonderboy like Podkolzin is (who many give an extreme amount of grace room for around here) but he's clearly shown he's capable of being an impact player when he's going. Many people have him written off and I don't get it. Before last season he was projected as a top six player, now all of a sudden he's not even good enough to make the team? Give your heads a shake. This kid is good, and if Brucey boy let's him figure it out the way he's let other players figure it out (that's right, Petey, I'm talking about you) then this kid should still have top six projection. People within the organization and outside of the organization should have a little faith in the guy. He's a good player. He's not perfect, but he is an asset to the team and he's one of those players that will have a great contract for cheap.  

He was 8th place in Calder voting for a reason. We need to let this kid develop on the team and give him some leeway to grow. He has good offensive upside and has the work ethic to be a good player. Stop giving up on the kid. 

I agree with you on your great post.. You need speed and skill and Hoglander has both and only 21 yrs old.. Way to early to trade hime and a great contract under 900,000. I sure Hope we don't trade Hoglander or Rathbone.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I like the kid, but it doesn't appear that Boudreau does.

Its not BB job to like or dislike    its his job to get a player like NH to overcome his shortcoming    that's coaching

He seems like a player with a good attitude 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1