The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stepping back from sports fandom

Coconuts

My problem is I spend far too much time during the summer months trying to follow every move, every trade. It actually kinda makes me sick. Checking out the JT Miller thread every day etc.

I think people really need to think moderation before it becomes a problem and you lose a passion for something you really love. With that I think I will try and take a step back as well. Now watch JT Miller signing or trade happen tomorrow or something haha 

Cheers Nuts! 

• Cheers 1

I have always watched the Canucks, actually I used to listen on the radio

Some times I waste tooo much time here

I just went camping for a week, (didja miss me?) I thought not, I didn't miss you either

But it was pretty much the first thing I did when I returned, check CDC.

I took up dancing 6 years ago, its fun too, but can take up too much time also

so, I bought an old car, done that before, but not for several years

I also took up cello and Spanish

I try to practice cello every day, Spanish , not so much

I took up trying to ride a unicycle, if I stop posting all together, its probably because I cracked my head

I go to a lot of live music shows

I hate the NHL, and sometime I don't even like the Canucks, but somehow I still pay attention

If I have an addiction, its probably to this team, and this place 

• Cheers 1

I completely understand where you are coming from, though my issue is more from the sources - I am finding it increasingly aggravating/tiring etc to read, follow and listen to Canuck information. I mostly blame social media as now any fool has a platform, and "negativity sells" so we mostly seem to get randoms spouting off on all things wrong....as opposed to all things right and positive. I am 46 and I used to love reading the Province Sports section in paper form (I know, it did exist) and there was never this much negativity. Also loved Sports Page with Taylor, Barry Macdonald and even Shorthouse.

I think Sekeres and Price finally destroyed my faith in media as positives seemed to always be minimized while negatives maximized, I just hate that and I find myself reading it, and there is so much of it, perhaps that is part of it?

I am trying to stay away from the junk and will always support my Canucks, stay positive and support as you can Canuck Brother!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess I am wired differently than most.  All the social media posts.....radio hosts....online writers....trade rumors affect my life in 0 ways. 

Then again I am a pretty mellow guy.

There are much more important things to worry about that actually have a bearing on my life.

The closest I have gotten to Fandom is when we were in Bermuda in 1994  visiting a high school friend who moved there..  Bermuda is 5 hours ahead so I stayed up til 4 am watching game 6 and drinking Goslings Black Seal rum. 

Or as I call it doing the Micheal Buble.

Michael Buble has everything. Except a Stanley Cup.

The four-time Grammy winner said he was in Italy on his honeymoon the night of this game, which saw the Canucks dispatch the team that eliminated them in each of the previous two playoffs

“75 million records, Junos, Grammys, no Stanley Cups,” the Vancouver Canucks super fan said with a sigh during Sportsnet’s NHL Rewind Watch Party Saturday, which replayed Game 7 of the 2011 Western Conference quarterfinals between the Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks. which saw the Canucks dispatch the team that eliminated them in each of the previous two playoffs

“This game in particular, I was wasted,” Buble said of that night. “It would have been really quite early in the morning in Italy. I was on a balcony with a bottle of vodka or something. My wife had gone to sleep and I was terrified. I was terrified

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

Let’s be honest. 
This place is a huge waste of time.  Straight up, and nothing more than a big old waste of time.  
Being a fan and not getting anything back is what cheering for the Canucks is all about!

Enjoying a sport and being a fan doesn’t need to take up any real valuable time. 
It should just be fun.  

Take a break from this place and I bet sports are less of a chore.

Good luck in school @Coconuts!

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

TBH, I took a step back about a decade ago....

The last time I lived and died with a team was the 2011 Canucks, (and possibly the 2015 Jays) but after decades of super fandom, I've realized that I did something really bad in a previous life and am now cursed. (at least as it pertains to my sports teams)

We all know the Canucks' story, (and I've been following the team since day 1 of the franchise) but I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan, and in International football, I cheer for the Netherlands.

This is why I laugh, when I read that the Bills are the preseason Super Bowl favorites....I can't have nice things....

• Cheers 3

I've found that people who follow just 1 team will get burnt out more quickly. We haven't had much success for the past decade, so it's a lot of time invested with little payoff.

Personally I get much more enjoyment by following the league as a whole. Every year there are teams that are exciting to watch. The trades, signings, etc are also fun. I kind of think of it all as a soap opera haha.

I play a lot of fantasy sports, so being able to apply that league-wide knowledge is rewarding. Even when the Canucks are having a terrible season, I can still get excited when they score if it's a player on my team. Likewise it adds to the interest in watching other teams. Gives me a sense of control too, as I can choose my players, whereas when just watching a team, you don't have that aspect. Keeps things interesting/engaging.

Moderation always important too. I used to play a lot of chess and poker, but got burnt out of both. I've since learned how to moderate my hobbies better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was kind of a loser growing up, so I had lots of time to commit to sports.

However, when I got more "popular" and starting hanging out with people more, I didn't dedicate myself to sports as much.

It was also easier to do because Vancouver wasn't very good for that stretch, but I used to watch every televised game (especially Saturdays on CBC), but now I don't (if I'm hanging out or whatever).

Losing Jim Hughson was huge, as Saturday games suck if it's not John and John or Chris Cuthbert calling them, and the team is only middle of the pack versus a serious contender.

This goes for other sports as well, though NFL is easier to accommodate for since Sunday and Monday are more like rest days for me.

I still love the Canucks and sports, but I like enjoying life along with it, rather than revolving my life around sports.

• Cheers 1

On 8/18/2022 at 1:57 PM, Coconuts said:

Wasn't too sure where to put this so off-topic it goes. 

Obviously this is a Canucks forum so we're all sports fans here on some level, but I've been pondering the other side of deeply invested fandom for a while now. The taking steps back, the not following it as closely, the not reading, investing in, or watching as much. Or the simply giving the up hockey or sports bits. I've had friends who used to be hardcore Canucks fans step back to following it more casually, I've had other friends who've just given up the sport or other sports entirely. I'm curious as to what people's experiences here have been regarding this subject, not just strictly with hockey but with sports fandom in general. 

I've been thinking about it for a month or so now as I've spent a lottt of time here, other forums, and either glued to my phone, laptop, or TV consuming hockey content over the years. I'm questioning the time investment, particularly with my beginning my bachelors of social work in September. It doesn't really have anything to do with the team, the players, the direction, or any of that so much as the return on the time I've been putting in. And it's been a lottttt of time between the reading and discussion. Within the last couple months I gave up a hobby that I'd spent at least a little bit of time on every day for at least the last five years, it was a mobile game that'll end in September, but breaking the consumption habit was a lot easier than I thought it'd be and now I've turned my eyes to hockey because that's something I've put even more time into. 

I haven't been round the last week, I've just casually peeked at reddit now and again to see what's going on around the league and I've enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I'd come back. Still haven't decided. Take me back a couple years and I'd never have considered it, but the reality is I go down rabbit holes and lose chunks of time before I realize how much I've lost on a regular basis. So yeah, I dunno. I enjoy hockey, I enjoy engaging with Canucks content, but maybe I'd enjoy investing that time elsewhere more. 

Surely some of you think about and experience this as well? 

I feel like it's a personal thing that's often based on people's lives.

For me, sports is EVERYTHING when my family's not around (which is 75% of the time). So I have no reason to back off and would be lost without them...COVID gave me a bit of a taste of what that's like. Emptiness.

I try to keep it in check...the summer, for me, has me way more disconnected as there's so much else to do. Plus, the "talk" often goes around in circles so I'm not here nearly as much as in the winter. But, during the season, I'm all in and that won't ever change. This is the time of year when the summer's winding down, the days are getting shorter and I start really getting excited about sports. Lions are in full stride, NFL's just getting going and hockey's right around the corner. In between there's Whitecaps and tennis. I LOVE it. 

FTR I have not missed listening to/watching a Canuck's game in over 10 years (probably more like 20).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

There were a few seasons where I kind of fell out of watching hockey (not sure if I was just too busy or had other interests). Last season, I pretty much watched every game. The few I missed were because I had remembered the wrong time of the game. I think I'll miss most of the games this season because I'll be too busy with work and studies. For me, hockey is a way to unwind from the day and watch a bunch of guys on the ice chase a puck and fight each other. Peak entertainment. :P Wish I had more time in a day to watch the games.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I’ve continuously followed the team since I was kid. Watched every game, except for half a season (the 2011 season and playoffs - sigh) when I had relocated to live in China and didn’t have a way to follow games - still watched highlights and standings watched.

Where I found my time investment decreasing was actually on this site. I was an early joiner and had about 8000-9000 posts I think over just a few years when I was in university. There was a post reset somewhere along the line when it upgraded. Lost all the posts and I suddenly felt Less motivation to post, just lurking and occasionally chipping in.

Find your priorities and cut things out that you don’t have time. For me, it wasn’t fandom of sports (Canucks and Lions (but instead the things that came along with it).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Been a hockey fan since the Polluck Habs. When the Canucks entered the NHL I transferred somewhat reluctantly but did so all the same. Being a fan has transitioned from watching games on TV or listening on the radio. Today it is also this website. I look for news on our players but also have spent time on the Off-Topic side, especially since the Ukraine war started. I am weaning my self off this as it is rather pointless. Not the war coverage but the other topics.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

I guess I am wired differently than most.  All the social media posts.....radio hosts....online writers....trade rumors affect my life in 0 ways. 

Then again I am a pretty mellow guy.

There are much more important things to worry about that actually have a bearing on my life.

The closest I have gotten to Fandom is when we were in Bermuda in 1994  visiting a high school friend who moved there..  Bermuda is 5 hours ahead so I stayed up til 4 am watching game 6 and drinking Goslings Black Seal rum. 

Or as I call it doing the Micheal Buble.

Michael Buble has everything. Except a Stanley Cup.

The four-time Grammy winner said he was in Italy on his honeymoon the night of this game, which saw the Canucks dispatch the team that eliminated them in each of the previous two playoffs

“75 million records, Junos, Grammys, no Stanley Cups,” the Vancouver Canucks super fan said with a sigh during Sportsnet’s NHL Rewind Watch Party Saturday, which replayed Game 7 of the 2011 Western Conference quarterfinals between the Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks. which saw the Canucks dispatch the team that eliminated them in each of the previous two playoffs

“This game in particular, I was wasted,” Buble said of that night. “It would have been really quite early in the morning in Italy. I was on a balcony with a bottle of vodka or something. My wife had gone to sleep and I was terrified. I was terrified

I like your first line there.

I find it interesting that many who disagree with my take on things, comment that I listen to too much media.

CDC is the media that I hear. ( i don't know why this just went italic)

There is another thread titled " the hypocrisy in media and fanbase..."  some folks really want to spread the blame

I guess a lot of people really do believe the media, but I don't, and you sound like you don't either

It is there and almost impossible not to hear, but believing is a different matter

• Cheers 1

I find sports related talk to be as tribal as political discourse much of the time.

People are immediately entrenched in their camp, team, player, coach and nothing will ever sway them.

As such I find myself in those times, down times for a team or player etc pulling back and spending less time as invested as I might be.  Which is entirely healthy but also sad.

Sports is supposed to be a uniter.  If you feel ir find it has become too tribal or not enjoyable, take as long a break as needed 

• Cheers 1

On 8/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, kanucks25 said:

Moderation, of course.

I don't think you should feel bad about enjoying something as long as it's not detrimental to the other/more important aspects of your life.

At the same time, perhaps you need to give time to other things to see if you enjoy them more, or enjoy everything a little bit more just because you've given yourself variety.

Good luck :)

I think so, I've been scaling it back from forums the last few years even it doesn't show, which is weird considering I basically grew up on them as a 90 baby. Moderation is tricky but you're likely right, it's probably the way to go.

Thanks!

On 8/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, JM_ said:

Time here is supposed to be fun. If it isn't anymore or its costing you in other ways, you should look after yourself. And its not going anywhere, its here for you to check in on.

It's usually fun, it's just a matter of how much time is spent really. I used to get super angry after every loss, last season I found I'd have a bit of a laugh at times. And I mean, maybe that sounds off but given how the season spiraled so quickly all I could think of was man, this is a classic Canucks season. 

On 8/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Been there, experienced that.  Actually still practicing it in some form, but (obviously) not with this site at present.

I used to be a major contributor on another forum completely unrelated to hockey, but was noticing that it was a major time suck.  I got married, and was finding that time was scarce to do all the things I wanted to, so I ended up scaling back my involvement with that site (oddly enough, it meant more quality time here, if such a thing as quality time here could exist).  I'm now on a one-year hiatus from that site.

At the end of the day, you need to figure out what you want your priorities to be, what benefit you feel you can gain from them, and how you correspondingly want to allocate your time.  It's ok to set aside sports and entertainment for other goals, such as academic, financial, or emotional - life is always about some give and take.

Coming back to sports, I used to follow tennis, racing (F1/Indy), and one or two others in addition to hockey.  Nowadays, I'll catch the highlights on the 6 o'clock news or when I'm surfing, but I no longer follow them as closely as I used to, and it's because there's other things in my life that I hold as higher priority than those sports.  

Good luck with your studies.  Social work is an important program that many people depend on; I have nothing but respect for people who seek to help others they don't know through their difficult times.

I think that's the tricky part, but at the same time it's liberating. I've always been the friend my friends come to for an opinion on hockey news, movements, ect because I've always tried to be so dialed in. But it's time consuming and as fun as sports can be there are other things I could be doing you know? Doesn't mean I've gotta give up sports or hockey, but in the end none of what I post here really matters all that much you know? Except to the individuals I've developed rapport with, but that's literally it. 

And thanks, it's gonna be tough! But it's interesting, and having spent most of the last year working on a wet site with street entrenched homeless individuals I definitely see more of a need for social services and the humanities sectors. 

On 8/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, gurn said:

As the pandemic wains, the desire to resume all the stuff we couldn't do, rises back towards the top.

It can be good to take a step back, especially if a team loss ruins your day, or a team win; (play off games exempt) makes your day.

Will add this is basically the only forum/site I read and post on, so it isn't just about stepping back on sports, but the off topic stuff as well.

Personally I've  been staying home a lot- even post? covid; as I wanted to save as much as possible and pay off my mortgage. Since that should been done by Sept 6 of this year; I will begin looking into the following, rather than being  online at CDC.

Form an over the board chess club, instead of online.

Join the local martial arts club

square dancing

More swims/laps

maybe a part time job

Volunteer gig-probably within the special needs community.

Same, I'll browse reddit hockey for quick info too as a lot of every team is posted there, every trade, ect. Makes it quick and I don't have to dig for anything. Vintage does great work here but there are so many more users posting stuff over there. 

Off topic applies to me too, this site is how I've tracked the Ukraine bit and other political bits. Mostly because I respect a lot of the contributors and I don't have to wade through a bunch of sources. 

And that sounds great, lot of diversity, I'm rooting for ya!

On 8/18/2022 at 2:58 PM, -AJ- said:

I definitely watch far fewer games when times are tough, though I have to admit CDC is pretty much a mainstay. That said, when we're losing a lot and negativity reigns supreme, I distance myself from hockey-related talk. I either get angry myself or jealous of the success of other teams and find that it's not healthy for me.

Regarding taking a break altogether, I haven't done it strictly with hockey, but I have done a similar thing with watching YouTube videos. I used to be subscribed to several YouTube channels that put out a couple videos each day and began to find it incredibly draining to watch their content, even though I enjoyed it at first. It became a chore, another task to complete. I ended up cutting out a lot of YouTube from my life and although I now still watch quite a bit, I'm more disciplined about making sure I only subscribe to channels that infrequently put out content and I manage how many videos I want to watch.

The closest I've come to this with hockey outside of the darker times of 2015 through 2018 or so was during the 2011 playoffs. During that run, I realized that my emotions were so severely affected by the outcome of the games (especially in the Finals) that it worried me. Should I be invested so deeply in something that has little to do with my life directly, yet also controls my emotions so heavily?

Honestly, I'm not sure what I concluded after that, but suffice it to say that in tense moments during games, I try to remind myself of the perspective I gained in that time and not lose sight of the fact that, while I'm passionate and care deeply about how my Canucks perform, there are many things more important in life and the results of the game are not life and death.

The first bit is why I've always tracked the league as a whole as opposed to just the Canucks, I guess I can thank my growing up playing the EA NHL games for that though haha. Tracking one team puts a lot of weight on that one team, which isn't to say the Canucks aren't my team, I'm just not as invested in them as I am hockey in general.

Discipline is great, and being able to cut back offers some wonderful perspective. 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, Angry Goose said:

With you starting your social work degree soon Im sure that will be what you mainly invest your time in.  Maybe its just what you needed in a way.  When you do have more time to invest into say the Canucks, it might be more about quality rather than quantity.

My sports fandom/other interests fluctuate as well.  I suffered a bad back injury and am just now finally getting to the point where I can safely pursue power lifting again.  Ill invest more time into that and say maybe a bit less in other things (like video games :lol:). 

Yeah, I think it all works out nicely you know? I know I'll come here to procrastinate or get away from it, but doing less of it will be healthy too I think. 

That's awesome, be safe with it! I hope your improving health allows you to get back into other hobbies soon too. 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, Devron said:

My problem is I spend far too much time during the summer months trying to follow every move, every trade. It actually kinda makes me sick. Checking out the JT Miller thread every day etc.

I think people really need to think moderation before it becomes a problem and you lose a passion for something you really love. With that I think I will try and take a step back as well. Now watch JT Miller signing or trade happen tomorrow or something haha 

Cheers Nuts! 

Yeah, I totally get that. It was the Gaudreau signing that sucked me back in.. :P 

And for sure, it's tough, I'd like more diversity in my hobbies again and there's a lot I wanna do going forward. I just won't have time, and don't wanna make as much time. In the end it's just hockey right?

I hope pulling back makes you happier too! 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, lmm said:

I have always watched the Canucks, actually I used to listen on the radio

Some times I waste tooo much time here

I just went camping for a week, (didja miss me?) I thought not, I didn't miss you either

But it was pretty much the first thing I did when I returned, check CDC.

I took up dancing 6 years ago, its fun too, but can take up too much time also

so, I bought an old car, done that before, but not for several years

I also took up cello and Spanish

I try to practice cello every day, Spanish , not so much

I took up trying to ride a unicycle, if I stop posting all together, its probably because I cracked my head

I go to a lot of live music shows

I hate the NHL, and sometime I don't even like the Canucks, but somehow I still pay attention

If I have an addiction, its probably to this team, and this place 

Cello is a rad instrument, good choice

On 8/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, Lunar Poetry said:

I completely understand where you are coming from, though my issue is more from the sources - I am finding it increasingly aggravating/tiring etc to read, follow and listen to Canuck information. I mostly blame social media as now any fool has a platform, and "negativity sells" so we mostly seem to get randoms spouting off on all things wrong....as opposed to all things right and positive. I am 46 and I used to love reading the Province Sports section in paper form (I know, it did exist) and there was never this much negativity. Also loved Sports Page with Taylor, Barry Macdonald and even Shorthouse.

I think Sekeres and Price finally destroyed my faith in media as positives seemed to always be minimized while negatives maximized, I just hate that and I find myself reading it, and there is so much of it, perhaps that is part of it?

I am trying to stay away from the junk and will always support my Canucks, stay positive and support as you can Canuck Brother!

I think @-Vintage Canuck- has spoiled me in that sense, I don't pay attention to the local media unless someone posts a twitter link. I get it from reddit too, everything is sourced and I don't gotta dig through twitter or anything, or read about pundits. I'll get rumours, what may happen, or what has happened. I dunno, local media definitely leans negative.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, bishopshodan said:

Sports is all candy to me.

Never gets me riled. It's a part of my life where I get to be tribalistic and silly.

I dont watch too much drama tv shows or movies. I prefer the harmless real life drama of millionaires playing games. 

Best way to approach it imo

On 8/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, D.B Cooper said:

Let’s be honest. 
This place is a huge waste of time.  Straight up, and nothing more than a big old waste of time.  
Being a fan and not getting anything back is what cheering for the Canucks is all about!

Enjoying a sport and being a fan doesn’t need to take up any real valuable time. 
It should just be fun.  

Take a break from this place and I bet sports are less of a chore.

Good luck in school @Coconuts!

Totally, in the end we're all just yelling into the big internet void 

And thanks!

On 8/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, Master Mind said:

I've found that people who follow just 1 team will get burnt out more quickly. We haven't had much success for the past decade, so it's a lot of time invested with little payoff.

Personally I get much more enjoyment by following the league as a whole. Every year there are teams that are exciting to watch. The trades, signings, etc are also fun. I kind of think of it all as a soap opera haha.

I play a lot of fantasy sports, so being able to apply that league-wide knowledge is rewarding. Even when the Canucks are having a terrible season, I can still get excited when they score if it's a player on my team. Likewise it adds to the interest in watching other teams. Gives me a sense of control too, as I can choose my players, whereas when just watching a team, you don't have that aspect. Keeps things interesting/engaging.

Moderation always important too. I used to play a lot of chess and poker, but got burnt out of both. I've since learned how to moderate my hobbies better.

Agreed on all counts 

Everyone experiences fandom differently but I personally feel like I enjoy hockey more following the league as a whole than just the Canucks

On 8/19/2022 at 6:56 PM, -DLC- said:

I feel like it's a personal thing that's often based on people's lives.

For me, sports is EVERYTHING when my family's not around (which is 75% of the time). So I have no reason to back off and would be lost without them...COVID gave me a bit of a taste of what that's like. Emptiness.

I try to keep it in check...the summer, for me, has me way more disconnected as there's so much else to do. Plus, the "talk" often goes around in circles so I'm not here nearly as much as in the winter. But, during the season, I'm all in and that won't ever change. This is the time of year when the summer's winding down, the days are getting shorter and I start really getting excited about sports. Lions are in full stride, NFL's just getting going and hockey's right around the corner. In between there's Whitecaps and tennis. I LOVE it. 

FTR I have not missed listening to/watching a Canuck's game in over 10 years (probably more like 20).

Oh definitely, a person's connection to a sport or team is massively personal for a lot of people 

Makes sense that you step back more during the season, offseason is for getting out and enjoying life imo 

It's been a longgg time since I've watched every game or even listened to em, but everyone does things differently and that's totally cool

On 8/20/2022 at 7:43 AM, Boudrias said:

Been a hockey fan since the Polluck Habs. When the Canucks entered the NHL I transferred somewhat reluctantly but did so all the same. Being a fan has transitioned from watching games on TV or listening on the radio. Today it is also this website. I look for news on our players but also have spent time on the Off-Topic side, especially since the Ukraine war started. I am weaning my self off this as it is rather pointless. Not the war coverage but the other topics.  

I've def trended more towards lurking in off-topic since Covid hit tbh 

Having grown up on forum sites they're definitely fun, but a lot of us spend a lotttt more time on them than the people in our lives realize and sometimes it's just too much 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's usually fun, it's just a matter of how much time is spent really. I used to get super angry after every loss, last season I found I'd have a bit of a laugh at times. And I mean, maybe that sounds off but given how the season spiraled so quickly all I could think of was man, this is a classic Canucks season. 

I think like. a number of people here, CDC is open in a window during the workday as a nice distraction. I stopped looking at the game day threads for the most part because I found the anger part was too big a part of the comments in that and it kind of sucks the enjoyment out for me. 

I get the laughing about last season, it was a wild ride and Bruce was such a breath of fresh air it was nice just to enjoy some games.

• Cheers 1

I've pretty much stepped away as well. I remember sitting in the stands after my friend bailed on going to the game with me and just wondering what the hell I was doing.  I just had a hard time justifying why I spent so much time, energy and money on watching other people play a game. My life could be so much further ahead if I didn't focus so much on something I had no control over.

I still love the Canucks and want them to win, and I still pop in here once in awhile to post my insipid comments when something wild happens or I'm really bored, but I've gone from watching every Canucks game I can, highlight games around the league, every NFL game I can, going to local hockey games etc, to basically watching a marquee game if I don't have anything else going on.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:15 AM, McBackup said:

I've pretty much stepped away as well. I remember sitting in the stands after my friend bailed on going to the game with me and just wondering what the hell I was doing.  I just had a hard time justifying why I spent so much time, energy and money on watching other people play a game. My life could be so much further ahead if I didn't focus so much on something I had no control over.

I still love the Canucks and want them to win, and I still pop in here once in awhile to post my insipid comments when something wild happens or I'm really bored, but I've gone from watching every Canucks game I can, highlight games around the league, every NFL game I can, going to local hockey games etc, to basically watching a marquee game if I don't have anything else going on.

It's definitely time one could invest elsewhere for sure. Sports are a tough thing for a lot of people, there's history and years of investment put in for a lot of folks. Attachments to players, to a city, to a team. Memories of past teams, hopes for prospects, that sort of thing. There's a tribalism that goes hand in hand with fandom too to an extent, so for some folks there's a sense of belonging to something and that's a powerful thing. Sometimes it's a shared interest, or someone grew up playing hockey. Could be a lot of things. 

But we only get so much time, I think taking a hard look at all hobbies is a healthy thing. Having fun is healthy, hobbies are healthy, but moderation is important and sometimes we get too deep into this or that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1