The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers shopping Nils Lundkvist

19 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Lots of guys talking about Hogs and Rathbone for Lundkivist and Kravtsov

no thx Rathbone was over a ppg in Ahl as a rookie lol, you let that kid show his stuff unless you are trading him for a stud man like chych

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

no thx Rathbone was over a pig in Ahl as a rookie lol, you let that kid show his stuff unless you are trading him for a stud man like chych

Agree we really need to see what Rathbone can do unless it is for a top end rhd.He did not look bad in a Canuck jersey but needed more time in the AHL.Now he should be ready and take his spot for good.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Lots of guys talking about Hogs and Rathbone for Lundkvist and Kravtsov

Honestly, at least on paper that's too lateral for my liking (we'd get an RHD candidate but neither of them has seen much time in the NHL either, so if management sees some upside in the other pair ahead of our own and manages to swing a trade then so be it).  Until then I think it's too close to call which pair is better without extensive scouting and reports on each (I think the Rangers duo should be projected for higher potential strictly due to their 1st round selections, but again I'd view it as roughly equal).

19 hours ago, King Heffy said:

So you're willing to give up assets for a guy with attitude issues and a defenceman who can't play defence?

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Every other teams young players are better than ours didn’t you know?

19 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Well we do have a depleted pool due to having so few 1st and 2nd rounders recently, but that's even more reason to not give up our few good prospects for trash.

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well yea.

Not to mention Hoglander and a Rathbone are just as good if not better. Why not just give them a chance?

I didn't say I wanted to trade Hoggie and/or Boner for them - but adding two young players with big upside from a team that's very deep would be good for this org.

Kravtsov can play C and Lundkvist is a RHD, whereas Hoggie can only play W and Rathone is a LHD.

Both Krav and Lund are waiver exempt next year so they would be playing to earn a spot, plus be depth for injuries. They'd be adding important competition to the roster spots. If Bruce wants to load up the top-6 with Miller, Petey and Horvat, then Krav can also be tried as a third line center, potentially between Kuzie and Pods. The Lundkvist can't play defense statement is pretty unfounded, he played well defensively in Lulea winning the Salming award and in his short NHL stints.

It's hard to gauge the value of unhappy players on their first ELC who have requested trade, there hasn't been a ton moved in their situation in the past year from what I can remember. Senyshyn was moved for scraps but he was already waiver eligible and ... is not that good, Dahlen was traded for a younger prospect worth slightly less than himself (at the time).

Canucks have developed a strong relationship with Milstein this summer. Lundkvist comes from a team Allvin has scouted intensely for the Pens, drafting Hallander and Gustavsson from the same team; plus the Canucks have a long history of Swedish talent obviously.

If the Canucks can somehow buy low on these two players, I would be pretty stoked. Joni Jurmo, Mike Dipietro, NYR's 4th round pick 2023 & Canucks' 2nd in 2025 for Kravtsov & Lundkvist? I'd be all over something like that.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I didn't say I wanted to trade Hoggie and/or Boner for them - but adding two young players with big upside from a team that's very deep would be good for this org.

Kravtsov can play C and Lundkvist is a RHD, whereas Hoggie can only play W and Rathone is a LHD.

Both Krav and Lund are waiver exempt next year so they would be playing to earn a spot, plus be depth for injuries. They'd be adding important competition to the roster spots. If Bruce wants to load up the top-6 with Miller, Petey and Horvat, then Krav can also be tried as a third line center, potentially between Kuzie and Pods. The Lundkvist can't play defense statement is pretty unfounded, he played well defensively in Lulea winning the Salming award and in his short NHL stints.

It's hard to gauge the value of unhappy players on their first ELC who have requested trade, there hasn't been a ton moved in their situation in the past year from what I can remember. Senyshyn was moved for scraps but he was already waiver eligible and ... is not that good, Dahlen was traded for a younger prospect worth slightly less than himself (at the time).

Canucks have developed a strong relationship with Milstein this summer. Lundkvist comes from a team Allvin has scouted intensely for the Pens, drafting Hallander and Gustavsson from the same team; plus the Canucks have a long history of Swedish talent obviously.

If the Canucks can somehow buy low on these two players, I would be pretty stoked. Joni Jurmo, Mike Dipietro, NYR's 4th round pick 2023 & Canucks' 2nd in 2025 for Kravtsov & Lundkvist? I'd be all over something like that.

I would take the Boner/Hogz deal there in a second. Boner probably best player but we get better at two premium positions where we lack significant depth.

This would also be the very strange concept of dealing from strength to fill weaknesses. Losing a winger and a LD for a centre and RD is a win. 
Not much opportunity for Boner for foreseeable future with Q and OEL ahead of him. 
We even get bigger in that deal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'd be more interested in Ethan Bear straight off the Res...

Weird, but ok. Ignoring that second part, Bears and Nils are similar type of players really. Neither being really what we need. That being said Lundkvist likely has a higher upside, so depending on the price obviously I think it's something we should be kicking tires on.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Weird, but ok. Ignoring that second part, Bears and Nils are similar type of players really. Neither being really what we need. That being said Lundkvist likely has a higher upside, so depending on the price obviously I think it's something we should be kicking tires on.

Obviously kick the tires. It’s a RHD that has top 4 upside. At the moment though I’d say he’s an undersized bottom pairing/7th dman. Now we have Hughes and Rathbone who I think are both better on the roster already so I’m not too thrilled on the idea of adding another small guy on the backend. But if they’re basically giving him away for a 3rd rounder or less I’d take a flyer. But I honestly wouldn’t even give up a 2nd rounder for him.

Need to give Hogz and Boner more time and allow some “homegrown” talent to develop through our system. We’ve always been apt to look elsewhere before we give our talent pool a real measurable crack. Both Hogz and Boner are the type of guys you hold on to until/unless an absolute better option emerges. Need to instil club confidence in them because they are still so young. 

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't really see what is weird? The Canucks need more color on the team. This is a diverse fanbase and city. Having some more representation in personnel especially on ice would be a boon for the BIPOC community of fans and would only be a plus especially if they are useful players on ice and can fit as pieces of the puzzle.

43 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I don't really see what is weird? The Canucks need more color on the team. This is a diverse fanbase and city. Having some more representation in personnel especially on ice would be a boon for the BIPOC community of fans and would only be a plus especially if they are useful players on ice and can fit as pieces of the puzzle.

That's fine... And happy to have more of that when it's an organizational need... But, while I do think Bear is a solid (if small), 3rd pair RD... It's just more of what we already have/don't need. 

Love the player, but not a fit for what the roster needs. And as @Shayster007pointed out, at least Lundkvist has a higher ceiling. Just a shame about his ethnicity :lol:

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

If they fit a clear need and are the best available for then for sure diversity is good. Just for the sake of it though? No I don’t think I would want the Canucks to operate that way.

Unfortunately Bear is not really the answer to any need on the Canucks currently. He is a 3rd pairing type guy and we have enough of those already. 

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Hogs Petey and Podz was also good

My boy Podz can run with anyone. I am thinking they might wanna stick em with Mikheyev for a little bit though. Being a fellow Russian and if we can get some of that defensive dog in Pod? Oh boy. He'll be an absolute unit for us. Also I really think Petey needs Miller to babysit him, and I'll say that til Petey proves to me otherwise.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's fine... And happy to have more of that when it's an organizational need... But, while I do think Bear is a solid (if small), 3rd pair RD... It's just more of what we already have/don't need. 

Love the player, but not a fit for what the roster needs. And as @Shayster007pointed out, at least Lundkvist has a higher ceiling. Just a shame about his ethnicity :lol:

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If they fit a clear need and are the best available for then for sure diversity is good. Just for the sake of it though? No I don’t think I would want the Canucks to operate that way.

Unfortunately Bear is not really the answer to any need on the Canucks currently. He is a 3rd pairing type guy and we have enough of those already. 

Maybe the Canucks can kick the tires on PK Subban and see if he would be open to a 1 year deal for around 2.75 million?

Maybe he eventually settles for a PTO if he is trying to extend his career on ice before he gets into the off ice stuff and broadcasting career he has lined up.