The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers shopping Nils Lundkvist

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I still think we have to give Rathbone a solid chance to succeed and become the #2 LHD behind Hughes later this year or next, which I believe is management's plan. Unless PA can make a quality rhd Miller trade, I think we'll see him traded for picks and then give our current plethora of depth D guys a chance to step up. Then, if no one does, we'll figure out what to do with our back end restructuring down the road. 

I think so too. We'd have to find a new LHD partner for Lundkvist thats not currently in the lineup, and also keep him in Abby for at least one more year to grow his game. 

If the kid is looking for a "now" team maybe AZ is his best bet. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I think so too. We'd have to find a new LHD partner for Lundkvist thats not currently in the lineup, and also keep him in Abby for at least one more year to grow his game. 

If the kid is looking for a "now" team maybe AZ is his best bet. 

Funny but true. 

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep, thats exactly how you sell it :ph34r:

I could see Lundkvist maybe entering the picture after a year in Abby, once we know whats going on with our top pair and if thats going to be Hughes-OEL or not. We also need to upgrade the middle pair so maybe if we picked up a  big, reliable LHD that might work?

The big concern for me is that he is asking for a trade as there is little opportunity for him to become a top

4 dman with PP (in other words, the Rangers right side is full to the brim).

https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/rangers-trying-to-trade-frustrated-nils-lundkvist/

a top 4

He still has some AHL time to learn the defensive end of the game, so I don't think the Canucks could

offer him what he wants.  He is an offensive dman, but is in no way a 'plug.'  Unfortunately, that's not what

our team needs though. 

I'll pass and continue hoping that they sign FA Stralman (great depth) for a year to allow more time to acquire a

younger/better RD via trade. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The big concern for me is that he is asking for a trade as there is little opportunity for him to become a top

https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/rangers-trying-to-trade-frustrated-nils-lundkvist/

a top 4

He still has some AHL time to learn the defensive end of the game, so I don't think the Canucks could

offer him what he wants.  He is an offensive dman, but is in no way a 'plug.'  Unfortunately, that's not what

our team needs though. 

I'll pass and continue hoping that they sign FA Stralman (great depth) for a year to allow more time to acquire a

younger/better RD via trade. 

NYR RIGHT DMEN - Fox 24 -7 yr deal ---Trouba 28 - 4 yr deal --Schneider 20 - 6'2 -ELC-- future #2 D man -NHL

Lundkvist 23 -5'11- ELC-- AHL - No future with NYR and depth they have...

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

the funniest thing on this thread is that people think DiPietro has any value. he's a 4th string goalie with a slight chance of improving. he will likely never make it even as a backup in the NHL

Actually it’s fact Dipietro has current

y more trade value than the craperolla bustaroo bonsai that is that “little people” Lundqvist.  That guy has NO VALUE.  Unless it’s Bennng, of course.  Then a bustaroo is worth a second rounder.  (Vey; Baertschi). Bennng! :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Think they'll take Myers too? :ph34r:

Gunning thing is the Benning contract given to Myers is so God Awful that we actually couldn’t trade Myers (clearly an NHL D) for a piece of craperolla bustaroo like Lundquist.  Now what does that say about Benning?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Gunning thing is the Benning contract given to Myers is so God Awful that we actually couldn’t trade Myers (clearly an NHL D) for a piece of craperolla bustaroo like Lundquist.  Now what does that say about Benning?  

I don't think he's bad. Even at 6mil. I just don't think he fits very well with OEL and Hughes. It's more of a fit issue than a talent issue. For me anyway. I am sure others think Myers is straight garbo. But 6mil isn't too bad for the minutes he eats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Wonder if a team like SJ would play ball. Lundqvist could learn from Karlson and take the top 4 minutes and PP time when Karlson misses 25+ games. But seriously, why not eh.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m old enough to remember when Lundkvist was a central figure in a JT Miller trade. Now we may be able to pick him up for free on waivers. 

I wouldn’t discount his value so much just yet though. Just because he doesn’t fit into our plans, and is spare parts for a loaded NYR d corps, doesn’t mean a team like OTT won’t be in on him for value. They’ve been looking for RHD as well. Lundkvist may not be the idea “now” candidate but he might fit in nice with their timeline 

5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I dont know about that.  He’s a very capable defensemen. I really want to see how he does under a Boudreau system. But if he’s not good to go he might end up on LTIR anyways so force a trade/give up a really good player in Hoglander?  Speaking of which, cant believe how quickly people are giving up on this kid-he’s got a ton of upside.

For sure, I see your point. I honestly hope Hoglander lights it up this year but I'm struggling to figure out where he fits in with our group - only real spot for him is on the 4th line as he isn't going to beat out Mikheyev/Pearson/Kuzmenko for that spot. On the other hand, I feel like most around here are undervaluing Lundkvist - the kid put up unbelievable numbers in the SHL as a 19/20 year old. Never got much opportunity in New York, averaging less than 14 mins a game on their bottom pairing. He's also a year younger than Rathbone and has more playing time in professional leagues. Just a year ago, he was considered one of the top prospects league wide. 

All I'm saying is it would be foolish not to consider clearing cap with Poolman's contract (or someone else like Dickinson), packaging a floundering forward who looked terrible last year (also our biggest surplus) for a young, projectable RHD with a good track record and is under contract for 2 more seasons at league minimum.

I honestly think NYR would reject that deal, rather than the other way around.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

the funniest thing on this thread is that people think DiPietro has any value. he's a 4th string goalie with a slight chance of improving. he will likely never make it even as a backup in the NHL

Well, to be fair. He’s the fourth string goalie in the Canucks Organization. Which has become one of the better goaltending mines in the NHL. He’s fourth in Clarke’s Hierarchy of things. Probably much higher on some other teams though.

Why would we trade a young forward on an ELC?

We need to be adding more young players not trading them.

We also need D men that are strong in their own end. Lundqvist is not that.

Id take a flyer on him if he’s willing to work on his game in Abby, if not forget it.

• Vintage 1