The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

True....but one way of looking at it is that this team now has an emotional leader who can back up the bark all locked up for years to come.  They didn't just get the player, they got the identity of the team as the other players will know the expectation is to follow his lead.  This is worth more than a couple of average players.  I'm good with it as long as he keeps to his identity.  

Again, no disagreement. Miller is a really good player, with loads of intangibles. Having a player like him is a good thing. One of many reasons I was one of the few people here that was quite happy when we acquired him.

Boeser/Garland are better than "average" players FWIW. As may Rathbone be (time will tell).

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes true there's no free lunch, but there are ways to upgrade without moving key young pieces...

One decent example was the trade idea by @Canuckster86 recently with a proposal for Pearson + a pick in exchange for Demelo. That exchanges similar assets but improves our D without eroding our F corps too drastically.

Another idea is to move Myers next off season, after his $5m signing bonus is paid. This means he will cost only $1m in salary and a team such as Chicago might be keen to take him on as a top 4 RD for cheap (cap space not an issue for CHI at that point), might have to add a late pick to move him. CHI might be able to move him at the following TDL for picks with retained salary. This would give VAN another $6m next season to spend on upgrading our D corps for 2023/24. $6m would probably get us close to signing a UFA such as Severson.

Dickinson and Poolman can be bought out in 2023 to save cap too. Maybe sign a big 4RW that can play C too like McCarron.

Roster for 2023/24 could be something like:

Garland Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko (3.5) Pettersson Podkolzin

Mikheyev Horvat (7) Hogs (1.5)

Joshua Lazar McCarron (1)

Lockwood (0.8)

Hughes Severson (6)

OEL Demelo

Rathbone Schenn (1)

Dermott Burroughs 

Demko, Martin

Those are all fine moves. However, if we move Myers and replace his cap with Severson's, we no longer have Myers expiring cap to pay for raises.

Nevermind that in the current environment, it's unlikely we move ALL of Myers cap out in a trade (and/or certainly not for a late pick).

So we still need to move out a forward, and cap out.

There really is no free lunch here.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

He wasn’t only playing bottom 6 minutes, he was up and down the lineup for Tampa. From 1st line to 4th line, big reason they moved him was cause of consistency according to Tampa fans. Though 47 points with 75 games is pretty good. I believe he was playing on Tampa’s 3rd line when we acquired him.

That’s my entire point…. Did you miss it?  

10 hours ago, mll said:

Moving cap has proved to be challenging this off-season with Rutherford saying they would need to add picks.  He was probably not talking of Dickinson (who was expected to cost to move) but of players they thought had some trade interest.  It might not be any easier next off-season with the cap raising by only 1M - the escrow balance is not expected to be paid off just yet.  

Using CapFriendly they have about 14M with a roster of 16 - assuming Rathbone/Joshua make the team and the cap goes up by 1M.  Give about half to Horvat and it leaves roughly 7M to complete the roster - 5 to 6 players to reach 22 or 23 including Kuzmenko, Höglander and Dermott and replacing Schenn.  There might also be a bonus carryover - Podkolzin, Kuzmenko and Höglander have a combined bonus target of 2M.  

Without clearing cap they aren't really in position to upgrade on D.  

this is why I think we'll end up moving Garland for free or close to it. Garland to Ottawa for future considerations might have to be a thing to clear cap. 

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes true there's no free lunch, but there are ways to upgrade without moving key young pieces...

One decent example was the trade idea by @Canuckster86 recently with a proposal for Pearson + a pick in exchange for Demelo. That exchanges similar assets but improves our D without eroding our F corps too drastically.

Another idea is to move Myers next off season, after his $5m signing bonus is paid. This means he will cost only $1m in salary and a team such as Chicago might be keen to take him on as a top 4 RD for cheap (cap space not an issue for CHI at that point), might have to add a late pick to move him. CHI might be able to move him at the following TDL for picks with retained salary. This would give VAN another $6m next season to spend on upgrading our D corps for 2023/24. $6m would probably get us close to signing a UFA such as Severson.

Dickinson and Poolman can be bought out in 2023 to save cap too. Maybe sign a big 4RW that can play C too like McCarron.

Roster for 2023/24 could be something like:

Garland Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko (3.5) Pettersson Podkolzin

Mikheyev Horvat (7) Hogs (1.5)

Joshua Lazar McCarron (1)

Lockwood (0.8)

Hughes Severson (6)

OEL Demelo

Rathbone Schenn (1)

Dermott Burroughs 

Demko, Martin

They likely already went through all possible scenarios to try and move a F for a D.  Rutherford explains that they couldn't find trade partners and that it will take longer than they hoped to fix the right side of the defence.

Winnipeg's blue line has been rather mediocre and they might not want to weaken it further.  They also only have 2 RHDs - the others shoot left.  They insisted that they are committed to winning now after Scheifele questioned their direction.  They have upcoming UFAs that need to see they can win to stay.  Not sure they would put much value on a pick unless it's a high one.

Chicago and Arizona are deliberately tanking - they might not want to add any vet that can improve their team unless there's a significant asset attached.  Myers has a 10 team no trade.

Several teams have talked of how little cap space there is around the league and how difficult it has been to move cap.  Poile for one thinks it will be just as challenging next season.

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

"We like Bo and we're communicating with his camp. We'll see if there is a deal to be made," Allvin said, noting that every contract negotiation takes its own unique path. "He's been a good player for his stint in Vancouver, so hopefully we can figure something out here."

Hmmm this could lead to wild speculation .... also

"When you're doing a deal like this long term, we took our time and looked into the roster," said general manager Patrik Allvin, "The cap situation moving forward, obviously, is important. And then we looked at options. What's out there in terms of players being available, potentially, for next summer?

"I don't think you just go from being a non-playoff team to be a Stanley Cup winner," Allvin said. "I think this is a process over time.

"I think in today's game, our goal is to be a very competitive team over time. By being that, we need to make a big step this year. I believe that the players are prepared and their mindset is ready to come in here for day one training camp."

Looks like they were in a pickle no matter which way they went and took the path of least resistance, or the at least we know what we've got route, which seems reasonable given the landscape.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Alex Chiasson on a PTO.

Ugh.  Do you think Bruce will spend his time looking for the best plug for next year?   Or actually bring the team together and start rolling lines.    To me this was JB/Greens biggest mistake last season.    And it's more on JB then Green.   Every year Green had a ton of players coming in and out and managed it well.   Calder finalist and winner back to back.   Deserves some credit for that. Actually both Brock and EP haven't had a better season since even with Bruce and older now.   On a worse team as well.  

Bruce - he needs to get these guys to camp and not dither over the 13th man.   Get them in a groove.    It's ok to try the young guys out ... but do we even have them?   Would rather we just roll over the pre-season ... get the guys in game shape and start off with a bang. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

"We like Bo and we're communicating with his camp. We'll see if there is a deal to be made," Allvin said, noting that every contract negotiation takes its own unique path. "He's been a good player for his stint in Vancouver, so hopefully we can figure something out here."

Hmmm this could lead to wild speculation .... also

"When you're doing a deal like this long term, we took our time and looked into the roster," said general manager Patrik Allvin, "The cap situation moving forward, obviously, is important. And then we looked at options. What's out there in terms of players being available, potentially, for next summer?

"I don't think you just go from being a non-playoff team to be a Stanley Cup winner," Allvin said. "I think this is a process over time.

"I think in today's game, our goal is to be a very competitive team over time. By being that, we need to make a big step this year. I believe that the players are prepared and their mindset is ready to come in here for day one training camp."

Looks like they were in a pickle no matter which way they went and took the path of least resistance, or the at least we know what we've got route, which seems reasonable given the landscape.

That's funny because i can also find quotes that say he's going to be signed before camp.

The only thing that is concerning is "his stint in Vancouver".    Plus well Miller signed lol.   Ugh.   We better the heck sign him or he's going back to TO or OTT.   Which i suppose is ok.    His "stint in Vancouver" is concerning i suppose but maybe i'm just believing stuff on  the CDC without fact checking myself.   Who the heck does what Horvat does next season?  I'm not that worried ... he's earned a modest raise only. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's funny because i can also find quotes that say he's going to be signed before camp.

The only thing that is concerning is "his stint in Vancouver".    Plus well Miller signed lol.   Ugh.   We better the heck sign him or he's going back to TO or OTT.   Which i suppose is ok.    His "stint in Vancouver" is concerning i suppose but maybe i'm just believing stuff on  the CDC without fact checking myself.   Who the heck does what Horvat does next season?  I'm not that worried ... he's earned a modest raise only. 

Yeah, some of the uncertainty and the tone PA put out there is probably a bit of ESL and hard line posturing. imo oc

They're gonna sign Bo, most likely at the suggested 8 x 6.5 - 7 imo imo imo.

I don't think we have too much more to worry about really; although we have our perma-fretters and their sky will be falling evermore.

Just get Bo done and then we can concentrate on the Young Stars in a few days.

I wish they would release more pics and vids of all the guys, young and old, everybody.

This is a great time of year to be in Vancouver and these young guys have the world by the short and curlies.

I'd like to see more of everyone having fun and getting ready and just flat out living the way I wish I still could.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Ugh.  Do you think Bruce will spend his time looking for the best plug for next year?   Or actually bring the team together and start rolling lines.    To me this was JB/Greens biggest mistake last season.    And it's more on JB then Green.   Every year Green had a ton of players coming in and out and managed it well.   Calder finalist and winner back to back.   Deserves some credit for that. Actually both Brock and EP haven't had a better season since even with Bruce and older now.   On a worse team as well.  

Bruce - he needs to get these guys to camp and not dither over the 13th man.   Get them in a groove.    It's ok to try the young guys out ... but do we even have them?   Would rather we just roll over the pre-season ... get the guys in game shape and start off with a bang. 

Teams start better having their NHL roster play the entire preseason together.I hate that Green would leave that to the last couple games of preseason and a reason we started off on the wrong foot.

• Sad 1