The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

8 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Sadly not the best production we got out of Petey is centering his own line. So best thing for Canucks do is Run Miller Petey Bo down middle. if Canucks are okay paying Bo 6 plus mil to play 15-18 minutes on third line We need move out 2 other contracts.

Jt averaged about 21 minutes a game last year. Bo averaged about 20 minutes and EP40 averaged about 19. your just making stuff up

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

I agree they will rise and it's one of the reasons I wanted to keep JT and have him signed under this cap. Trying to replace him even as soon as next season would likely cost us more. Sure we gave up some term but who's to say the guy targeted to fill the void even chooses us? 

If we had a replacement internally, I might have been OK with moving him but we clearly don't. 

People will say we need to upgrade the D but doing it through UFA almost always sucks nevermind the fact there is seldom a youngish tip RHD hits the market and definitely not for fair market value. We have the option of trading for one with our Forward depth, especially if Kuzmenko becomes a legit player for us. 

Garland for Zub? Hogz+ for Zub or Severson?

Really, how one feels about the Miller deal is reflective of how they feel about the team.

In a vacuum, the extension is fine.  A lot of term, but that's the cost of keeping talent.  As well, the money is reasonable.

But we don't operate in this vaccum.  We operate in a reality where we don't necessarily have a prospect pool with talent ready to come in and play for cheap in these next few years.  Maybe get lucky with Lekkerimaki and Klimovich, but that's just two NHLers.

We might have played at a playoff pace, but we still didn't actually make the playoffs.  And really, the end goal isn't making playoffs, it's actually winning four rounds.  So, unless our plan is to hope for the best, we we're still quite far off with many holes to fix.

Needless to say, if the plan is to win now, there's going to have to be some major moves to be made to fix this team in a short period of time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If we take this seasons cap number as staying solid for 23/24 even though it should (hopefully) increase the Canucks are investing 9.69% of their cap space on JT. When the Canucks signed Louie Eriksson they committed 8.22% of the 2016/17 cap to him. 

If JT gets thrown on Robias Island at the end of the contract this could become a home run. 

Edited by drdeath

51 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I have a lot of confidence in Allvin right now.  7 years for a 29 year old means his contract will end when he’s 36 not 38.  I can live with this.  We might need to do something with Myers contract if we want to extend Pettersson after this season (expect a big year this year) and Podkolzin to a long term contract 

Considering our divisional rivals just signed a 31 year old Kadri to a 7x7 and Miller wanted Zibanejad money ($500k less, 1 year less), this isn't too shabby.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1