The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Need to go to the dirty areas and create your own bounces.  Right now, it's not happening.

Dude I was right there watching the sea of bodies infront of Anderson. Vancouver was first in the corners, in Andersons way. But every deflection went the other way. Honestly, how much time did Buffalo have sustained pressure in our zone compared to ours? I sat in Buffalo’s end and felt that the majority of the game was right infront of me. And good chances too! We had several shifts of sustained pressure. This team is jinxed.

Just now, Bure2Win said:

I don't really think any player should feel safe from being traded at this point. A complete tear down is probably the best case scenario so i can see them be a real cup winning team before i die?

I.dont think it has to be that drastic.  I still think a core of petey, podz, horvat, Hughes kuz, hogz is a decent group to add to. 

2 minutes ago, singing chef said:

I watched the game focussing on every shift that Boeser played.  The only word that came into mind was "ineffective".  What a sad situation this has become.  Regrettably, he's a complete liability when he's on the ice.

He's way too comfortable here. Send him to Philly to play for Torts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I just think we are cursed. I don’t think it really matter who is playing, coaching or managing. We had one of the best teams in history and still lost in the finals. We just weren’t meant for it,

Curse of the Bambino was a real one that was eventually smashed. The way it was done was some of the best baseball I’ve ever seen. It’ll eventually happen to this Canucks team.

• Like 1

This is all about poor defensive coverage, poor positioning and play in their own zone, and lack of effort defensively when even strength.

Complete breakdown.

What I am seeing in the D-Zone:

-  Surrendering entry to opponents

-  Confusion in defensive coverage

-  Over reliance on sticks to check defensively... no physical checking

-  No pursuit of the puck carrier by the assigned Canuck player

Offensively there are bright spots:

-  The Pettersson/Podz/Kuzmenko line are a threat whenever they are on the ice, and could have easily had two goals this game

-  Miller line played better, Garland and Mikheyev work well together

But the problem is the team D play in their own zone... which with the injury to Hughes is being exposed.  Hughes is very good at retrieving the puck and moving it out of the zone quickly... without him there, they are getting hemmed in... then their poor coverage gives the other team opportunities.

BB needs to sit them down and talk about coverage in the D-Zone, getting on the opposing forwards, and Canuck forwards starting to hit in the D-Zone.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, BPA said:

It’s Boeser fault.

He wasn’t on the ice to prevent all 5 Buffalo goals.

Boeser's totally invisible. It doesn't make zero difference whether he's on the ice or in the press box.

Actually come to think about it, it's actually an accomplishment for Boeser not being noticed despite his soft and slow play everywhere. He should thank Miller taking all the heat.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, davidgoliath said:

Obviously bad conflicts in the room. Come on JR make a decision and get it done. The team is without spirit. Trade Miller for Arber Jackeye and get this team some backbone.

Not even sure if anyone wants him now. Whoever is trading for him knows they're having him until he's 36...at 8mil a year with NMC for four years, and M-NTC/NMC for the last three.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

I was at the game tonight as I have season tickets - unfortunately.

Ok here is the report.  This is a lousy team.  No sugar coating, This is a lousy team.

Right now of our vaunted 3 centres only Petey is any good.  Miller is awful and Horvat is disinterested.

Mikhaev is terrible.

Boeser is terrible.

Demko is lousy right now.  I believe in him but he looks like he ate donuts all summer.

Our defense is sub par - but big surprise it is our underperforming overpaid forwards that are killing this team.

This could be a team that finishes last in the league (as they are right now).  

Don't be shocked if they finish well under last year's point total.

They played pretty well in the first two periods but the third killed them.again.and it happens to be fresh in our minds.  That said, I agree, the third was beyond bad