The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

Hopefully it's only a matter of time till there is Hugfy Bear fever in Van.

Hughes-Bear sounds like a good pairing on paper.

I would contend that it only sounds good as a fun naming gimmick. As far as I understand it, Bear is more focused on offense than defense, so I think it would be a mismatch. For reference, he was paired with Slavin when he was highly prized at the start of Carolina's year--one of the league's premier defensive defensemen.

• Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would contend that it only sounds good as a fun naming gimmick. As far as I understand it, Bear is more focused on offense than defense, so I think it would be a mismatch. For reference, he was paired with Slavin when he was highly prized at the start of Carolina's year--one of the league's premier defensive defensemen.

The Canucks had some success with Edler and Ehrhoff. Both were 40 point dmen.

But maybe then fully healthy they go..

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Bear 

Dermott-Myers

On 10/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I will wait and see if Bear can both recapture some of the form that made him quite promising a few years ago, and whether he can gel with this D core.

Not a bad acquisition for a 5th Rd pick.  He's still under team control after this year.

At the very least management is doing something to address the D core.  Burroughs has been a great story but he really shouldn't be an everyday RHD.

The pessimist in me can't help but see the last two deals as current management's Linden Vey and Adam Clendening, but both Studnicka and Bear hold more promise.

Will just do my best to enjoy the ride!

Riley Stillman reminds of Ryan Stanton.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, CanucksCountry said:

Wasn't the biggest fan of the player before we got him but I'll be honest I've been impressed with what I've saw so far with the small sample size, hopefully he can even get better  

I felt the same way Bear. I would say so far so good on this trade, especially considering we didn't have to give up much acquire him. However, it is early. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

Interesting quotes from Bear after yesterday's loss:

“I think it's frustrating because you take a breath out there,” Canuck defenceman Ethan Bear said, “maybe don't make a hard play, and in this league it comes back down and a lot of times it ends up in the back your net. In Carolina, I really learned that: you have to be consistent in the same way. Sometimes it's not fun and it's not flashy, but it does get the job done. I think we just get away from making the simple play sometimes and it comes back to haunt us. 

“You’ve got to be predictable. I've seen it work.”

“Is it hard to believe?” Bear said when asked about Vancouver’s six blown games, four of which preceded his arrival. “Not really. I see why. Honestly, it's just details, little details. Little habits like stopping on pucks and, honestly, just communicating a little more in our own zone. I know it's tough to be robotic, but playing a simple, predictable game is what works in this league. When we're on the same page, we're a good team. We have a really good lineup, and I think it's just a matter of time. We've got to keep working at it.”

Edit for source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/its-been-killing-us-canucks-suffer-yet-another-multi-goal-collapse-vs-maple-leafs/

this kids a keeper. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

“I think it's frustrating because you take a breath out there,” Canuck defenceman Ethan Bear said, “maybe don't make a hard play, and in this league it comes back down and a lot of times it ends up in the back your net. In Carolina, I really learned that: you have to be consistent in the same way. Sometimes it's not fun and it's not flashy, but it does get the job done. I think we just get away from making the simple play sometimes and it comes back to haunt us. 

“Is it hard to believe?” Bear said when asked about Vancouver’s six blown games, four of which preceded his arrival. “Not really. I see why. Honestly, it's just details, little details. Little habits like stopping on pucks and, honestly, just communicating a little more in our own zone. I know it's tough to be robotic, but playing a simple, predictable game is what works in this league. When we're on the same page, we're a good team. We have a really good lineup, and I think it's just a matter of time. We've got to keep working at it.”

Edit for source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/its-been-killing-us-canucks-suffer-yet-another-multi-goal-collapse-vs-maple-leafs/

Pretty sure he's bang on. Our small details are off, which collapses everything else. Doesn't help that we don't have particularly great goaltending either.

6 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

He is someone who came from a very regiment like structure/system in Carolina that has been very well implemented by Rod Brindamour and co.

As much as people dislike Rutherford's comments to slight Bruce, Ethan is a testimony to Jim's comments, there is no structure. The lack of details, structure, and effective systems are hurting the team. yes players are a big part of executing that, but after trying to watch the team for the first 15 games, its not very clear what their structure is. It looks like a haphazard group on the ice that looks like they have no idea where to be half the time.

Its pretty telling, that the players haven't bought into the coaching staffs systems and are choosing to play a rogue style.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He is someone who came from a very regiment like structure/system in Carolina that has been very well implemented by Rod Brindamour and co.

As much as people dislike Rutherford's comments to slight Bruce, Ethan is a testimony to Jim's comments, there is no structure. The lack of details, structure, and effective systems are hurting the team. yes players are a big part of executing that, but after trying to watch the team for the first 15 games, its not very clear what their structure is. It looks like a haphazard group on the ice that looks like they have no idea where to be half the time.

Its pretty telling, that the players haven't bought into the coaching staffs systems and are choosing to play a rogue style.

Wouldn't not buying into the system and going rogue be on the players though?  These are similar problems to what we saw under Green at the start of last season.  I'm not saying it's just the players but it's hard to believe that two consecutive coaching groups, one of which has a lot of NHL experience, cannot communicate a defensive system.  Is it the terminology?  Is it the way it's being communicated?

IMHO, Bear's comments seem more critical of the players than the system itself.  Regularly failing to make the hard play or the safe play doesn't usually seem to be a coaching issue.

Another big game against Colorado, scores the gwg, is strong defensively alongside OEL and has stolen Myer's shutdown role but finding ways to contribute offensively.

He's silently scored 4 points in 11 games, a +1 while playing 20 minutes a night. From Carolina's 7th guy to our top RD.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another big game against Colorado, scores the gwg, is strong defensively alongside OEL and has stolen Myer's shutdown role but finding ways to contribute offensively.

He's silently scored 4 points in 11 games, a +1 while playing 20 minutes a night. From Carolina's 7th guy to our top RD.

It's a small sample and right after two-point game, but Bear's offensive rate right now is the highest of his career. If he plays all remaining games and finishes with 73 games, he's on pace for 27 points.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's a small sample and right after two-point game, but Bear's offensive rate right now is the highest of his career. If he plays all remaining games and finishes with 73 games, he's on pace for 27 points.

Management has been taking some hits on here lately. Bear is working out really well. 

• Cheers 1