The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ticketed for pulling out mobile order at drive thru

wai_lai416

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That part I’m not so sure cops are paid to show up to court nowadays at least from what I know. All my friends that have ticket dispute said their cop showed up. 

Well I drive standard so it was in neutral with handbrakes on so I dunno if that constitute the same

Here's an article about your exact issue: Using your phone in the drive-thru? You could get a ticket | CityNews Vancouver

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That part I’m not so sure cops are paid to show up to court nowadays at least from what I know. All my friends that have ticket dispute said their cop showed up. 

Well I drive standard so it was in neutral with handbrakes on so I dunno if that constitute the same

Yes, that is park for manual. 100%

cop would be a guaranteed no-show. They float these tickets hoping you won’t dispute, he knows he’s wrong. He was probably looking for drunks at the drive through, and got bored.

Edited by Jimmy James
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

nah it happened in PoCo's timmy. maybe i should tag timmy on twitter and ask them to pay for my ticket ahahah

Call the detachment/police station; try talking to the duty sergeant or supervisor- they may be able to fix your problem.

Or try to get a media guy involved, this seems like a slam dunk story for them.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Was your car in park? If so, the cop gave you an invalid ticket. You weren't on a roadway and if the car was in park, you weren't legitimately operating the vehicle at that point. The cop was clearly someone who was looking shoot sitting ducks.  

This is frickin' ridiculous. No way should you be ticketed for this. Cop sitting in the donut shop parking lot...lol, how appropriate. Paying by phone is a thing...has he not heard? What a waste of everyone's time and energy.

I didn't fight the ticket I got (for speeding) based on...I didn't want the cop to get a half day to show up for court. He strongly recommended that I fight it but I paid it instead. 

Lee said drivers can interact with their phones as long as their vehicle is in park. The engine can be on, said Lee, as long as the car is parked lawfully and not impeding traffic.

• Upvote 2

Yeah had a cop gave my buddy a ticket at a tims drivethrough for not turning the engine off, everytime he inches up.  It was a 97 Subaru, that obviously doesn't have start stop.  Meanwhile the entire parking lot is a Save On.  With 10 cars sitting there running.  Some of these guys just like making problems.  

Edited by BCNeil

Y'all know that these law enforcers have quotas to meet right?  Hardly surprising they ticket for petty stuff like this.
Definitely should dispute it (like Deb said, what was the cop doing in a Tim's, in line to buy donuts for himself?  Why is he not working) and bring it to media, at least get idiots like these shamed for wasting public time.

2 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Dispute, then let us know your court date so we can all show up and berate the cop.

season 6 eating GIF

Haha I'm just kidding, I actually appreciate the job that cops have to do, except when they give out petty tickets like this.  You couldn't pay me enough money to go around downtown Eastside and deal with all the mentally ill around there.  Tough job. 

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think the bigger issue with this ticket is the points attached to it i think? i believe i have to pay couple hundred on top of the $368 for too much points or something? i think 1 distracted driver ticket automatically triggers it i prolly have to look it up

Yeah you should 100% dispute it.  

Now you will be faced with a question when you dispute it:  are you disputing if you're guilty, or are you disputing the amount/penalty.  

On 11/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, wai_lai416 said:

i think the bigger issue with this ticket is the points attached to it i think? i believe i have to pay couple hundred on top of the $368 for too much points or something? i think 1 distracted driver ticket automatically triggers it i prolly have to look it up

Distracted driving (using your phone) carries a $368 fine plus 4 penalty points. 4 penalty points is an additional $214 fine. So a total of $582. 

I’m pretty sure the judge will dismiss this case if your car was in park and you were at a Tim Horton’s paying for your coffee with an app. I believe employers can give you time off for this situation. It shouldn’t take a half a day depending on your location. 

I would also call CTV news and tell them your story. Maybe you will get to be on tv and you can tell them you are a member of CDC. Give us a plug. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

trailer park boys sparkle GIF

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would also call CTV news and tell them your story. Maybe you will get to be on tv and you can tell them you are a member of CDC. Give us a plug. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant