The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

3 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’d love that even though management has other plans for whatever reason, the two rumoured guys clashing with one another in the room was Horvat and Miller. You ship them both out for futures and create a better culture.

This draft alone should land us at least a solid second line Center or first line 1a 1b with Pettersson. We are very lucky that this is the draft we are tanking in. If we manage to get into the top 3 we are getting another franchise Center, exactly what JR and Allvin won with in Pittsburg along with a very skilled offensive dman in Crosby, Malkin, Letang. 

We are only one piece away from that build and the draft lottery this year is HUGE for this franchise. 

Yup. Petey, Carlsson, Raty would be friggin’ awesome as our three top centres. Need to find D to help out Hughes though. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He's actually doing pretty well.  6 of those 8 points are at even strength too.  Not to mention his faceoff % has really improved.

I like Miller and would like nothing more than for him to be part of the team's long-term success moving forward but I worry about this current group's commitment to the details...Miller is a vet and a leader who could build in that accountability throughout the team if he wanted to...but we haven't seen it yet. For the same reason, I am glad they traded Horvat...give a new leadership group a try. Hopefully Miller steps up and helps this team take another step.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Trading Demko for a D prospect and then signing Jarry would speed up our rebuild/retool. 

Kevin Woodley said he doesn’t think Jarry is an Ian Clark guy, just in raw physical tools / build and style. And he also comes with injury / reliability ??? Too

im not sure if Jarry is the answer 

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Kevin Woodley said he doesn’t think Jarry is an Ian Clark guy, just in raw physical tools / build and style. And he also comes with injury / reliability ??? Too

im not sure if Jarry is the answer 

Yeah, after watching Silovs for a couple of games I think that Clark likes the big rangy guys who can move.  Jarry is not like that.  Silovs I think is going to be a star, so I wouldn't commit to any goalie long term, including Jarry.  I think at this point we can just ride it out with Demko who is on a good contract for 3 more years.  By the time Demko is done, Silovs will be ready to go...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

Not a comment on the Miller stuff, but does anyone get the sense that, every time Frank Seravalli talks on the radio, he makes a point of saying he knew a certain piece of news before other "insiders" reported it? It sounds pretty amateurish to be honest.

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

Not a comment on the Miller stuff, but does anyone get the sense that, every time Frank Seravalli talks on the radio, he makes a point of saying he knew a certain piece of news before other "insiders" reported it? It sounds pretty amateurish to be honest.

Yup gets him a pay check

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, after watching Silovs for a couple of games I think that Clark likes the big rangy guys who can move.  Jarry is not like that.  Silovs I think is going to be a star, so I wouldn't commit to any goalie long term, including Jarry.  I think at this point we can just ride it out with Demko who is on a good contract for 3 more years.  By the time Demko is done, Silovs will be ready to go...

IF we trade Demko - has to be out of our the division.   This LA stuff, Friedman, well sure they might want him, but they'd better pay huge otherwise no thanks.   Blake/LA did it right.    As a result their Doughty/Kopitar transition likely won't be as bumpy as ours was with the Sedins and shouldn't be doing them any favours.    It's very possible, that by the time Doughty and Kopitar are done, they've got the ability on their roster - to use up that cash to fill holes.    Not even sure what id want from their roster.

Not opposed to a Demko trade.  But don't see a succession plan in place.    And well you don't win cups without top ten goaltending.    Sure guys get hot like Binnignton and Murray.    If we trade Demko it needs to include a solid goalie prospect, and a high pick.   LA no thanks.   EDM is a little better but I think Steve Staois might have been that high water mark as far as all-time trades go with them - Biestra might know of others.    Trading Demko could be a huge mistake.    So the return needs to be something special.    Rarely happens with goalie trades. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

IF we trade Demko - has to be out of our the division.   This LA stuff, Friedman, well sure they might want him, but they'd better pay huge otherwise no thanks.   Blake/LA did it right.    As a result their Doughty/Kopitar transition likely won't be as bumpy as ours was with the Sedins and shouldn't be doing them any favours.    It's very possible, that by the time Doughty and Kopitar are done, they've got the ability on their roster - to use up that cash to fill holes.    Not even sure what id want from their roster.

Not opposed to a Demko trade.  But don't see a succession plan in place.    And well you don't win cups without top ten goaltending.    Sure guys get hot like Binnignton and Murray.    If we trade Demko it needs to include a solid goalie prospect, and a high pick.   LA no thanks.   EDM is a little better but I think Steve Staois might have been that high water mark as far as all-time trades go with them - Biestra might know of others.    Trading Demko could be a huge mistake.    So the return needs to be something special.    Rarely happens with goalie trades. 

Oilers...  Only one I can think of that we maybe won was before the 1982 run we got Blair MacDonald (had scored 90 points with the Oilers) for Ken Berry and Garry Lariviere.  Lariviere was decent though...part of the 1977 AVCO Cup Nordiques with King Richard and Andre Boudrias.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

100 % correct

If there was a flaw to Clark is that he seems bent on one “shape” of goalie. He’s been interviewed in the past about what he looks for. He likes range, but also quickness/reaction time…that’s what he scouts for…he then quickly says even a smaller goalie has range under the right circumstances…basically he wants his goalies long limbed I think. He can teach everything else in between.

Look at Mikey DiPietro. He couldn’t shape or mould him at all. 

I am starting to wonder if this may also be his downfall. He can find good goalies in the later rounds for us. But none of his prodigies have ever become great consistent year after year goalies other than Bobrovski, Marky and Demko (and all 3 still have their issues with consistency)

Columbus: he has his hands all over that ie:Reshaping Bobrovski, developing Korpisalo, Merzkilins, plus the young fellow who died in that freak fire works incident at manny legacies house a few years ago..Tarasov I think. All hand picked by Clark. All good goalies. But I wouldn’t say top goalies in the league.

We have given Clark a lot more reign in Vancouver so time will tell if his ways are correct. So far he recovered Marky into a really good goalie, built up Demko into one heck of a goalie (but I think we have rode him too much and may have broke him!), he sank DiPietro, and he has salvaged Delia and Martin from ECHL despair…he has drafted a couple interesting guys ie: Silovs (who I love and am cheering for) and Kosuveno (spelling??)…it will be interesting what other talent he comes up with this draft. I still think we need a few more horses in the stable goalie wise because none can replace what a top end/healthy Demko brings.

I don’t know if I could stomach another season of mediocre goaltending. It just kills your team’s confidence and performance. Plus do we really want to ruin Silovs next year by trotting him out as a starter…I think this market would eat him alive if it doesn’t work out…and then where the hell do you go after that doesn’t work?? We don’t have any guaranteed top end goalies in the pipeline to replace Demko, none other than the slight hope Silovs could do it…no way am I gonna bet on that.

Only if we sign a good ufa back up goalie in the off season would I let Demko go. Good target would be Raanta or Varlamiv imo.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

100 % correct

If there was a flaw to Clark is that he seems bent on one “shape” of goalie. He’s been interviewed in the past about what he looks for. He likes range, but also quickness/reaction time…that’s what he scouts for…he then quickly says even a smaller goalie has range under the right circumstances…basically he wants his goalies long limbed I think. He can teach everything else in between.

Look at Mikey DiPietro. He couldn’t shape or mould him at all. 

I am starting to wonder if this may also be his downfall. He can find good goalies in the later rounds for us. But none of his prodigies have ever become great consistent year after year goalies other than Bobrovski, Marky and Demko (and all 3 still have their issues with consistency)

Columbus: he has his hands all over that ie:Reshaping Bobrovski, developing Korpisalo, Merzkilins, plus the young fellow who died in that freak fire works incident at manny legacies house a few years ago..Tarasov I think. All hand picked by Clark. All good goalies. But I wouldn’t say top goalies in the league.

We have given Clark a lot more reign in Vancouver so time will tell if his ways are correct. So far he recovered Marky into a really good goalie, built up Demko into one heck of a goalie (but I think we have rode him too much and may have broke him!), he sank DiPietro, and he has salvaged Delia and Martin from ECHL despair…he has drafted a couple interesting guys ie: Silovs (who I love and am cheering for) and Kosuveno (spelling??)…it will be interesting what other talent he comes up with this draft. I still think we need a few more horses in the stable goalie wise because none can replace what a top end/healthy Demko brings.

I don’t know if I could stomach another season of mediocre goaltending. It just kills your team’s confidence and performance. Plus do we really want to ruin Silovs next year by trotting him out as a starter…I think this market would eat him alive if it doesn’t work out…and then where the hell do you go after that doesn’t work?? We don’t have any guaranteed top end goalies in the pipeline to replace Demko, none other than the slight hope Silovs could do it…no way am I gonna bet on that.

Only if we sign a good ufa back up goalie in the off season would I let Demko go. Good target would be Raanta or Varlamiv imo.

Please don't tell me we're gonna chase arguably the best goalie coach in the NHL out of town.

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Please don't tell me we're gonna chase arguably the best goalie coach in the NHL out of town.

Where did you get that from lol?

My point was that even as good as Clark is you just don’t find goalies like Demko every day. Clark for all that he has been given can only do so much.

Edit: I mention his downfall to highlight the fact that even tho he is a great goalie coach there are others out there with their own unique process. Clark isn’t the only one. And everyone has a weak point that could potentially be their undoing. I think his single minded focus on what makes the best goalie could be flawed. But nowhere did I mention chasing him out of town. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit more.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

Where did you get that from lol?

My point was that even as good as Clark is you just don’t find goalies like Demko every day. Clark for all that he has been given can only do so much.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to trade Demko unless the organization is going full on rebuild mode. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Oilers...  Only one I can think of that we maybe won was before the 1982 run we got Blair MacDonald (had scored 90 points with the Oilers) for Ken Berry and Garry Lariviere.  Lariviere was decent though...part of the 1977 AVCO Cup Nordiques with King Richard and Andre Boudrias.

Funny how the memory fails.   I forgot we exposed him to Atlanta, then he went on to be traded to EDM.   Pretty sure he was an alternate captain for them (they sucked at the time).     But that makes an even bigger point - we simply haven't traded with EDM.   Suppose it has something to do with the hate/rivalry built up during the 80's and early 90's with Alberta.      Maybe things will change.   Kesler is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest deals we've made in our own division.    Vancouver has done a pretty great job of avoiding that overall.   Maybe one day that will change.    Certainly would be shocked to see Demko traded to LA. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yet Horvat is still excelling and JT has been good only in spurts since Bo left.

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

You do realize since Horvat has gone, Miller has at least 1 point in every single game except 1?  He has 8 points in 8 games during that span.

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That’s on me been travelling the last week he’s just looked meh, the games I have watched with sporadic good play. 

This is the problem

We have an opinion on a player without really watching the games.

I dunno how Horvat has played but Miller has been fine

I was frustrated in the Philly game because he went back to his braindead ways but that was a day when he was just trying to pad his stats. He went back to playing good 2 way hockey after. Maybe RT talked to him after and asked him what the hell he was doing...

He's outproducing Horvat since Horvat getting traded  (Miller =1.0 pt/game Horvat = 0.78 pt/gm)

He's also doing great in the dot.

Beau has even outproduced him (0.88 pts/ game)

We then have a 1st AND Raty

No problem here...

I dont want Horvat to suck. He was a good capain here. He signed for a crap ton of money to better his life.  Now the pressure is on and I hope he can produce and earn it because we all know what happens when you sign for a lot of money and dont produce (LE, Boeser, OEL Myers...) Life becomes really hard.  I wish the best for Bo.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is the problem

We have an opinion on a player without really watching the games.

I dunno how Horvat has played but Miller has been fine

I was frustrated in the Philly game because he went back to his braindead ways but that was a day when he was just trying to pad his stats. He went back to playing good 2 way hockey after. Maybe RT talked to him after and asked him what the hell he was doing...

He's outproducing Horvat since Horvat getting traded  (Miller =1.0 pt/game Horvat = 0.78 pt/gm)

He's also doing great in the dot.

Beau has even outproduced him (0.88 pts/ game)

We then have a 1st AND Raty

No problem here...

I dont want Horvat to suck. He was a good capain here. He signed for a crap ton of money to better his life.  Now the pressure is on and I hope he can produce and earn it because we all know what happens when you sign for a lot of money and dont produce (LE, Boeser, OEL Myers...) Life becomes really hard.  I wish the best for Bo.

I was going off the Philly game which was mediocre despite him having a point, I have watched a few Islanders games now and Horvat is very noticeable even when not scoring. I think that is the divide here. JT for whatever reason despite producing just isn't noticeable at times. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Points wise sure, overall Bo is the more effective player at a more important role, including games with 70% FO too.

Beau was a throw in in the trade to make the cap work.  You would think BO would be outproducing him big time, instead Beau is keeping pace with BO point for point.  Plus, on top of that we got their top prospect plus a 1st round pick.

At the end of the day, if Beau is getting 50 points, then we win this trade easy if you include the other assets in the trade.  It's actually a lopsided trade if Raty turns into a 2C/3C tweener and the 1st round pick is an NHL player...

• Vintage 2
  • elephant 1