The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I'm going to the game.

Wearing my BRUCE mask and going to chant so this coach knows he was appreciated (and loved) here.  He gave us hope last year and this group was re-energized with him on board. Wasn't enough to keep him here, but he hardly had a good sample size. Hope some of those new assistant coaches also get put under the microscope too.

While I don't disagree with changing coaches when it's not working, there's a way to do that to ensure there's dignity and respect shown in the process. This is totally missing the mark.

Bring a sign saying "Fire Alvin and the Chipmunks"

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

A lot of questions were asked when this all went down. Aqua mismanaged the timing of the hires. President and GM should have been hired before the coach.

The whole thing had a “running by the seat of your pants” vibe to it.

The problem is... the owner should keep his hands off of operations. PERIOD. Or transfer control, or sell the team.

He's delusional believing that he has any clue how to run a winning "hockey" organization. He had Linden, and still has Smyl, 

who both would have gone to the wall to create a championship caliber team.

FA was lucky from 2004 until we made it to the Cup final, 2011. 

After that, he's screwed up royally. He should have started the rebuild in 2013. 

Stop messing with the club. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

AQ.

You still have time.

You dont have to do this.

Do not let your brass bring in Tocshit.

He is not the only option.

Wait till the season is over and reverse the mistake that is JR.

Better, promote Smyl to president and don't let JR do any more damage than he already has.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Truly. Honestly this could have all been avoided by letting Bruce play out the year.

The team is a broken and divided roster where half of the players are probably waiting for the call from their agent. Making a coaching change now makes no sense and won’t serve to improve anything this season. 

It really shows just how lost Rutherford and Allvin are here. The fanbase has no confidence in them at all and Tocchet won’t change that one iota. 

Absolutely, or they should have done it last summer. If BB doesn’t play their system nor match their players, they should have made the unpopular change then with class and dignity. Then, make the player changes to suit your system over the next year, sticking to your priorities in the summer; free up cap (less Beoser walk, do not sign Mik, and let JT play out his contract), rebuild defense (a tough task….they did nothing).

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Benning and Green were dragged out even longer.  Considering how badly they did in the Canadian Division only to roll into an even worse start to last season.  

It was like a year and a half of misery.  But at least Benning wasn’t taking pot shots at Green and trying to publicly hire people behind his back.  (I did hear a rumour he had asked for a coaching change before they were all let go.)

JB shouldn't have extended TG, but perhaps he felt it was unfair to him due to covid. 

Then he didn't pull the trigger last yr when the team was struggling. That was his last move that he could make. But since he didn't, AQ cleaned house and had to go hire a replacement on his own, although he did spoke to JR for advice according to the reports. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Absolutely, or they should have done it last summer. If BB doesn’t play their system nor match their players, they should have made the unpopular change then with class and dignity. Then, make the player changes to suit your system over the next year, sticking to your priorities in the summer; free up cap (less Beoser walk, do not sign Mik, and let JT play out his contract), rebuild defense (a tough task….they did nothing).

Exactly. You broke it down simply and clearly, yet somehow management convoluted the same situation.  

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I'm going to the game.

Wearing my BRUCE mask and going to chant so this coach knows he was appreciated (and loved) here.  He gave us hope last year and this group was re-energized with him on board. Wasn't enough to keep him here, but he hardly had a good sample size. Hope some of those new assistant coaches also get put under the microscope too.

While I don't disagree with changing coaches when it's not working, there's a way to do that to ensure there's dignity and respect shown in the process. This is totally missing the mark.

If this is his last game I think it would be cool if Canuck fans borrowed Liverpool's theme song and serenaded Bruce with it:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The problem is... the owner should keep his hands off of operations. PERIOD. Or transfer control, or sell the team.

He's delusional believing that he has any clue how to run a winning "hockey" organization. He had Linden, and still has Smyl, 

who both would have gone to the wall to create a championship caliber team.

FA was lucky from 2004 until we made it to the Cup final, 2011. 

After that, he's screwed up royally. He should have started the rebuild in 2013. 

Stop messing with the club. 

He should.

But if we are stuck with him fiddling then hopefully his business sense will kick in and realise that JR is not the dinosaur for this job.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The insanity starts at the top. 

He's an idiot, who is clearly incapable of creating a winning environment, 

Until he stops meddling with the team, we're doomed. 

Perhaps that means we get a top pick, but then what? 

He's going to screw that up too. 

Are you talking about the owner?  

I don’t think he’s meddling in day to day decisions but he’s clearly set the path that he doesn’t want a full reset rebuild.  Alright.  Sounds like they’re about to move their captain, though, so he’s likely okay with major movement.

He was the owner during the 2011 team too so I’m not sure he can’t be around for a winner.  It’s a dark time and people are looking to place blame - but I still think we can be back on course sooner than later as long as they’re okay taking a step back in the short term.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

AQ.

You still have time.

He might be the only option 

who in their right minds wants to work for this classless franchise 

after how Bruce-is getting  treated the list is probably pretty short. 

I wonder if there taking bets if new guy can last the duration of his contract before getting treated like crap and replaced with a down grade.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

AQ.

You still have time.

It's too late for that now. I'm kinda glad they ****** this up so royally. This is the current state of the franchise and I hope everyone knows it.

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, John McClane said:

Living in Medicine Hat for the last year and a half. Took my girls to their first Tigers game a few months ago. I was shocked to look up in the rafters and see that the Tigers have never retired Linden’s Jerseys. I would have thought this would be a no brainer, but apparently not. Lanny McDonald was the last former Tiger to have his number raised. 

That is whack.