The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I can think of more situations than pro sports where people want to lock up a replacement before letting someone go.

But don't they usually let the person they're letting go know their days are numbered? Mixed messages were being sent.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Gonchar teaching defence via video? How does he teach a 5'11" guy to play like a 6'3" guy? One is much bigger, heavier and likely stronger with a much longer reach.

Club Chaos, Allvin runs the show and he has since being hired, Rutherford confirmed that and so did Allvin.

They are still saying we want a banner not which one or when or how or with who on the team. 

Can't find the presser on the Canucks website

Was thinking the same thing. 

How is Foote supposed to teach via zoom? 

And, does RT intend for Hughes to play more physically? 

So many questions. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Aqua in the cranberries, with sheep?

Our PP hasn't been terrible unlike every other aspect of the team. I'm ok with King keeping his job for now. Our PK on the other hand continuing to be league worst after adding top end pkers Mik and Lazar is inexcusabe.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Was thinking the same thing. 

How is Foote supposed to teach via zoom? 

And, does RT intend for Hughes to play more physically? 

So many questions. 

"Our players will now be joining us for the game tonight via Zoom. Your starting line up is...".

Now stand for the national anthem.

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

But don't they usually let the person they're letting go know their days are numbered? Mixed messages were being sent.

I don’t like the way they let Bruce dangle for the last few weeks but I’m pretty sure he had a feeling he was on thin ice.  

No extension in place and plummeting to the bottom of the standings. 

Is it common practice to give him 2 weeks notice?  I don’t think that usually happens to coaches.  

So, my take on this, everything was set to hire Tocchet days, if not a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't want to put him in place when the team was heading into a really hard stretch of opponents. They let Bruce take the losses so that the new coaching group would have a good chance of starting with a winning streak.

Although I agree in principle with taking the team in a new direction coaching wise, they should have waited till summer and then done a full sweep. In the meantime, they should have supported Bruce better, the management team did nothing to improve our defense during summer, and the Stillman trade REALLY fizzled. 

I look at this as a defining moment for JR and management team, they need to be held to accountability for handling this whole situation and how this new coaching staff performs through the end of the year, as well as the trades they make at the deadline. 

They have made their defining move, their clock is now ticking, loudly.

• Vintage 1