The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

It's not fair to Tocchet to arrive with so much hate around him. Think about it, with fans angry about Bruce its not fair at all to Tocchet and to the way he is being recieved. 

Could someone please explain just what terrible treatment management inflicted on Bruce that was so dire some fans are even jumping off the bandwagon?

From what I garnered:

After a second disastrous start to a season, even though Bruce had his training camp and new season to start, rumours started flying about him being fired. 

- Not unusual in the pro sports world

Hints, or jabs if you want, by JR since last season about the team's defensive structure not being good enough.  - - But was he wrong?  And he gave him another chance to fix it this season.

Is it that Bruce all but knew he was getting canned a full month in advance, and still had to pretend to care about the team and face reporters?

- He didn't have to pretend. I think he did still care about the team and winning right to his last game. He loved coaching, even if he suspected he was toast. Could they have fired him earlier and just elevated Yeo until Tocchet could be released from his media gig? I suppose, but I believe that if you had asked Bruce if he wanted to stay until his replacement was available or just leave a month ago now, he'd probably want to stay and coach to the bitter end. 

Bruce was paid well, and is already a wealthy man regardless. He's had a great career. As a player and a coach. I would have loved to see him have success here. It sucks that the team sucked so much for him.  But it didn't work out, and we all know who gets fired first on a losing team.....the coach. Its not surprising is it?

Now personally, I would have like to keep Bruce on....if he choose to knowing his fate...to the end of the season.  If he didn't want to stay on the job knowing that clearly, he could have had the option of leaving in December already. Either way probably less of this stoked up outrage by media and fans. But Bruce is a big boy, its a rough business, he knows that better than anyone.

I also am leary of Tocchet.  They should have played out the season with Boudreau, or one of his assistant coaches, and then had a more extensive search once the season was over.  They are firing a winning coach and hiring a losing one with way less games experience. And hearing how he's dumb enough to cheer on the Crybaby Convoy is troubling.  It makes me suspect his overall mental strength if he can be duped so easily by internet trolls and whacky conspiracy theories. 

But saying that, he's not a politician, I don't care about his politics as long as he does his job well, and establishes a winning culture for the team.  I gotta give him a chance.  Face it, we are living in a dictatorship....no not Trudeau's.......but we live and die by a billionaire's whims.  And there is nothing we can do but hope he is right this time, or the President he hired is right to be more precise.

So I wish Briuce a happy retirement if that's what he chooses, Too bad his coaching career had to end in this $%^# show but he can look back and be proud of his time coaching. And i also wish Tocchet success here, for obvious reasons.  He may be just what the doctor ordered.  I only hope his message doesn't sink in until the beginning of next season. No bump please.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, management was supposed to be handling this. 

It doesn't really reflect well on them that they missed the mark. And are now trying to adjust without the means to do so. I don't like that they're "blaming" the situation on the past like they're victims...they took the roles on knowing the situation. Quit whining and go about your business. 

Agreed, it’s on management, and I’m not happy with how they handled this. Not knowing BB had a 2 year deal? That’s inexcusable.

That said, evaluating our team while playing a loose, run and gun system, for a coach whose been disempowered, doesn’t give the most accurate picture of how they’ll fare going forward.

If Tocchet’s our guy for 3 years, let’s see how the players perform under his vision for 6 weeks before the TDL, and end of the season. We might uncover some hidden gems, and identify more quickly who doesn’t fit.

I'm a bit mixed right now.

I want the Canucks to win and support the new coaching staff and hope to see them impove the team but this season is a write off. The team should be gunning for a top 5 pick.

I think the best I could hope for is to see the Canucks continue to tank and lose but at least make the games entertaining and have solid efforts from all players.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Could someone please explain just what terrible treatment management inflicted on Bruce that was so dire some fans are even jumping off the bandwagon?

From what I garnered:

After a second disastrous start to a season, even though Bruce had his training camp and new season to start, rumours started flying about him being fired. 

Hints, or jabs if you want, by JR since last season about the team's defensive structure not being good enough.  - - But was he wrong?  And he gave him another chance to fix it this season.

Is it that Bruce all but knew he was getting canned a full month in advance, and still had to pretend to care about the team and face reporters?

- He didn't have to pretend. I think he did still care about the team and winning right to his last game. He loved coaching, even if he suspected he was toast. Could they have fired him earlier and just elevated Yeo until Tocchet could be released from his media gig? I suppose, but I believe that if you had asked Bruce if he wanted to stay until his replacement was available or just leave a month ago now, he'd probably want to stay and coach to the bitter end. 

Bruce was paid well, and is already a wealthy man regardless. He's had a great career. As a player and a coach. I would have loved to see him have success here. It sucks that the team sucked so much for him.  But it didn't work out, and we all know who gets fired first on a losing team.....the coach. Its not surprising is it?

Now personally, I would have like to keep Bruce on....if he choose to knowing his fate...to the end of the season.  If he didn't want to stay on the job knowing that clearly, he could have had the option of leaving in December already. Either way probably less of this stoked up outrage by media and fans. But Bruce is a big boy, its a rough business, he knows that better than anyone.

I also am leary of Tocchet.  They should have played out the season with Boudreau, or one of his assistant coaches, and then had a more extensive search once the season was over.  They are firing a winning coach and hiring a losing one with way less games experience. And hearing how he's dumb enough to cheer on the Crybaby Convoy is troubling.  It makes me suspect his overall mental strength if he can be duped so easily by internet trolls and whacky conspiracy theories. 

But saying that, he's not a politician, I don't care about his politics as long as he does his job well, and establishes a winning culture for the team.  I gotta give him a chance.  Face it, we are living in a dictatorship....no not Trudeau's.......but we live and die by a billionaire's whims.  And there is nothing we can do but hope he is right this time, or the President he hired is right to be more precise.

So I wish Briuce a happy retirement if that's what he chooses, Too bad his coaching career had to end in this $%^# show but he can look back and be proud of his time coaching. And i also wish Tocchet success here, for obvious reasons.  He may be just what the doctor ordered.  I only hope his message doesn't sink in until the beginning of next season. No bump please.

Lol.  He's also a convict for that gambling stuff.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Totally disgusted by ownership/managent's treatment of BB and how it ended but, what's done is done. I have lost some respect for both but, it's done.

My question now is; What does bringing in Tocchet and Co. change?

Answer. Nothing.

This team is still a clusterf#$&k. Bringing in a new coach changes nothing.

One positive is that now JR and PA have now hired their coach. From now on this teams failures will now be hung around their necks.

The only real fix is for ownership to understand and accept the fact that re-tools don't work. We're now into this teams second attempt at this idea and it's, once again, destined to fail.

Until ownership gets it, no President, GM, or coach will fix this team.

I still hold to a statement I made a couple yrs ago. 

We will be looking at 60 yrs without a cup.

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

From what I garnered:

Bruce is very well off. Wealthy is the man who signed his paychecks.  ;) 

My issue around the Boudreau firing, is the way it came about. Everyone knew (including Bruce) that he would not

be re-signed.  Leaving him to face the media, his team and the fans for days/weeks, not when the axe would fall,

incredibly disrespectful. It’s a big company management style we see often enough these days. 

I don’t know a lot about Toccett, but I do remember thinking he was doing an amazing job with a terrible Coyotes

hockey team.  I do like the Foote and Gonchar additions.

I haven’t changed mind to wait until after the TDL, draft and offseason to see what changes have been

made, before deciding if l need to take an extended break.

For now, I wait to see if there's a coach bump and subsequent run for a playoff spot.:sadno:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, management was supposed to be handling this. 

It doesn't really reflect well on them that they missed the mark. And are now trying to adjust without the means to do so. I don't like that they're "blaming" the situation on the past like they're victims...they took the roles on knowing the situation. Quit whining and go about your business. 

Thing is, BB was not their coach going into this. I think they gave him an opportunity to continue what he did with this group last year. That failed so they moved on with bringing in what they thought should have happened last year.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Bruce is very well off. Wealthy is the man who signed his paychecks.  ;) 

He is and I think his most endearing quality is that he clearly wasn't in it for the money.

Bruce was all in and his emotions show his character, passion for his players, team and the fans.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I don't think he's the right coach for bedard but maybe he can add the grit needed.

A bit ahead of ourselves,  no?-_-

With the inevitable 'coaching change bump' in performance,  and possible Demko return,  we could very easily be drafting in the 10-15 overall range.   A perfect spot to keep the record of absolute mediocrity going strong!

Edited by Fanuck

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

A bit ahead of ourselves,  no?-_-

With the inevitable 'coaching change bump' in performance,  and possible Demko return,  we could very easily be drafting in the 10-15 overall range. 

Not to mention Bedard has seen how much of a scumbag Rutherford is and may choose not to report to an organization run by that dirtbag.