The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will thrive and who won't survive under Rick?

Rate this topic

DownUndaCanuck

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

where is there a mention of race in my comment. your entitled to your opinion, but it is just as toxic and the team right now. desi never said anything positive either.

desi had an account on here and was banned. his disageement for everything canucks was very apparent.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

55 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Simple question - with a complete change in structural philosophy, who will do well and who won't under Tocchet?

I think Myers will have a resurgence of his game and become solid defensively again as will OEL. Can't really get much worse but I think there's still some peak Myers in there and Rick will unlock it (already looks like he's paired with Hughes).

I think Miller will struggle to score to be honest and drop his points a fair bit as will Horvat.

I think Petey will drop a bit of offence but not really noticeably as will Hughes, their superstar skills will pull them through.

Didn't Tocchet and OEL have 'issues' in AZ which Tocchet tried really hard to downplay at the presser?

Tocchet's systems are well known.  He wants the defensive side of the puck taken care of first and anything else second.   He said at his presser he doesn't mind his players being creative and trying to score, but in the past he's been highly restrictive of those types of players and what he will allow them to get away with on the ice. 

I see offensive output of these guys decreasing to varying degrees:  Petey, Huggy (less so maybe b/c he gets lots of looks on PP), Kuz, Mik, Miller.  BoHo's numbers, not that he'll be around long, will likely go down as well somewhat. 

You look at guys like St. Louis/Vinny in TB when Tocchet was there, they had some of their lowest outputs during his time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I feel with  Miller it could go either way

he’ll either buy in or just carry on doing what he does. He knows he’s basically untouchable retirement contract in his pocket already. 
i don’t see ep or Kuz liking this change 

and really after that the other top F players are just waiting to leave. 

the players that will be rewarded the most with be the bottom 6

like Travis and willie tocchett loves  plugs. 

can’t see Myers  Hughes or oel thriving. 
I just feel we’ll be back to Travis like  hockey protect the 1 goal deficit at all costs. 

When it comes to the big names, I think Petey and Hughes will thrive. These players have not only been vocal about wanting to improve at both ends of the ice, but have clearly put in work trying to improve. On the contrast I think Horvat and Miller will struggle. These are player who say they want to be effective at both ends of the ice, but their own ice play shows they don't give a crap about defense.

Further down, I see Boeser struggling at first but if he doesn't get traded I could actually see him improving greatly. I think Garland will see a bump sooner do to familiarly. I think Kuzmenko could take the change hard.

I think OEL will struggle, but could see Myers doing well with more structure. I also think players like Lazar, Studnicka, and Joshua will do well. Seems like getting more from the bottom part of the lineup will be a focus.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I don't like convicted felons with mob ties. Sorry if you think this piece of $#!+ deserves to be treated with respect.  

Maybe the Stanley Cup falls off a truck and ends up in Vancouver who knows, who could say.

What's a truck?

sad season 12 GIF

Edited by awalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I don't like convicted felons with mob ties. Sorry if you think this piece of $#!+ deserves to be treated with respect.  

With fuzzy memory of that whole thing and refreshing memories via a simple wikipedia page, I've got a couple thoughts:

Tocchet and Janet Gretzky were running it and Gretzky was just like, 'hey Rick, I heard you were doing a bunch of shady stuff with my wife' ?

I'm the biggest Gretzky fan ever, but he was for sure involved.

So Gretzky didn't even get implicated in order to keep his image clean (even though I now think those gambling ads with McDavid are funny af)

Tocchet had to at least get a slap on the wrist in order to keep Gretz clear, but the other no-name dude got years in prison! He better be getting some payback for taking the fall.

So on the one hand it was legit criminal activity - but on the other hand, nobody even ever mentioned Travis Green's ties to it.

Very weird. Also, who cares (unless you're the family of that poor cop).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

OEL is the player, that I am interested in because of his salary and his past experience with Tocchet.  He pulled an LE or the victim card, under Tochhet and it became a mess.  As for the rest, of the roster they have no experience with Tocchet and let's see what happens - but a rise to the middle, is not going to help the team

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

OEL is the player, that I am interested in because of his salary and his passes experience with Tocchet.  He pulled an LE or the victim card, under Tochhet and it was a mess.  As for the rest, of the roster they have no experience with Tocchet and let's see what happens - but a rise to the middle, is not going to help the team

Easy schedule upcoming, thats the only thing.

Counteracted by Demko remaining injured + Bo being traded. 

Time for management to lean into the tank and rip a big fard for bedard

• Haha 1

I could see trades:

Schenn and Boeser to _________ for a 2nd (2023) and 3rd (2024)

Ekman-Larsson (10%) and Kuzmenko to ___________ for peanuts

all about clearing cap, if possible

As for Miller, it really could go either way with him. He'll either buy in or he won't, but there is time until his NTC kicks in with his new contract (July 1st?). They'll assess and make a decision with him. I think he'll buy in though. Miller wants to play here, he's super competitive and he wants to win. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, hammertime said:

Youve been around long enough to remember Desi on this board most negative spam poster up there with Kings of surrey. Kinda like what you're doing. 

Everyone has already heard your opinion. Your childish tantrum has become tiresome.

Oh, so you kind of wish I'd shut my mouth and get things over with by leaving?  Really grinding your gears eh?

• There it is 1