The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will thrive and who won't survive under Rick?

Rate this topic

DownUndaCanuck

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I want to see how Miller performs. Whether we like it or not, he’s going to be here for the next 5-7 years and will be playing center. He’s going to have to take on Horvat duties and he’s going to need to elevate his play.

Unless we somehow get Bedard, he will also most likely be the next captain. It will be interesting to see how Miller takes on the added responsibility once Horvat is officially traded. Guys are going to lean on him for support, he’s going to have to be that guy for them. I have my doubts though. He doesn’t have to be likeable but he sure as hell needs to be bearable.

Tocchet made it sound like he’s going to lessen Miller’s load. 

I think Miller’s gonna be regulated to strictly more offensive usage. I don’t think he’ll be taking much of Horvat’s workload. It’ll be interesting to see how they address that. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Good stuff thanks.

On the Boeser bit: I dislike this part of Brock and always have.  When "Titties" was here, he said (on miked up) You and me Brock, we're the only Beauties on this team."  I know, the Beauty League etc, but I don't like this type of stuff as time goes on; leave it behind, or for the summer; like then Toffoli went to Calgary and there was another soft check, etc.  I don't like that shit on the ice.  In fact, I don't really like any of it off the ice during the season and (dare I say it) the playoffs either.  Brock is definitely under the gun.

Agree wit you - and I am a Boeser supporter.  I think having these hard nosed guys behind the bench may influence him the right way. Finish checks, quit the friendly banter - use 210lb frame more effectively.  I know people think this player is slow, and he looks like he is, but you see bursts from him sometimes that make you scratch your head.  He needs to have a better effort, throw a few more hits, and just add more bite in general.  If these guys cant coach that into him I dont know who can.

OEL won't and maybe he'll want out.

Miller might not either if he gets reigned in for continual lazy forechecking/passing plays.

I see the bottom six and PK doing better. I think we'll see 2-1, 1-0 games now so as a whole guys like Lockwood, Dries, Pods, Bear...those guys will do well.

54 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is just a prediction.

Thrive:

• Garland
  • Lazar
  • Lockwood
  • Mikheyev
  • Studnicka
  • Burroughs
  • Schenn

Struggle:

• Boeser
  • Kuzmenko
  • Miller
  • OEL

The rest are question marks.

I think both Mikehyev and Kuzmenko will thrive tbh.

KHL systems even though they encourage personal skill / creativity they are sill pretty structured system wise and low event compared to where the NHL is right now.

I know its a clear step below but Russia is a pretty strict country in general and I think he is going to be better in this style of play than people are expecting.

I think Miller / OEL / Boeser / Myers are the big ones.

For OEL and Myers, can a new system insulate them better? Can he squeeze more out of them or optimize their usage better?

For Boeser, he has been quoted to be a sensitive guy. He's slow and has looked out of the play a lot this season.

How hard will they be on him? Will it be a more personal touch like a Dad / Son knowing he's lost his father or will it be Militant? And honestly I don't know what would work best for Boeser on the relationship side. But I do think Tocchet made a comment that was about Boeser. He said with a more structured system, where its predictable for teammates to know where they will be on he ice it can help players who aren't as quick or mobile. So Boeser who has looked out of the play, or chasing he play a lot would look a lot quicker, and have better opportunities with the puck or to make a play with a better structured team. I am summarizing my interpretation of what he said but I can buy into that.

There will be a lot of pressure on the Miller Toch relationship and his on ice performance and emotional outbursts. I am going to hope for the best and can visualize a scenario that goes well and there is clear growth in Miller. But I could also see a world where its a volatile relationship and explodes on a losing streak or during a bad game at C.

We will see!

But after this little tenure here to end the year we will have clear proof on what players suck / aren't a fit with the core here going froward.

And as a reminder Green and Shaw put the system in place and the offence dried up.

Even If we have an adrenaline bump for a week or 2 of games vs basement of the league.

I am expecting our offence to dry up, our goaltending to be just below league average, our PK to still struggle and for our PP to keep us in games.

And for us to continue losing more than we win. I hope we stay in bottom 6 because we really do need to add a game breaking talent and at least have another solid pick / lottery ticket with an early second if we dont add any picks.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Literally no one will do well under this convict.  This dirtbag is worse than Keenan and the team has too much character to give him any respect.

join the kraken board and leave this one maybe!? I sense you will be sticking around to whine and bitch about the Canucks on here tho...

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, sassbs said:

I’ll be cheering for the opposition regardless of who they play.   I truly want to see new coaching staff burn, and if they burn management will burn! If management burns so will owner 

hulk smash GIF

Ironically, losing out would be the best possible thing they could do. 

i think under tocchet's structure the offensive players are really going to suffer.. he's gonna want them to play grind it out hockey even if they are skill and finess players.. i think the top 6 will suffer a bit in production while not much will happen to the bottom 6 coz that's basically how they play anyways.. we'll prolly see a decent drop in offence but not much change with defence coz really.. it's the players on defence that is an issue

Guys that are here now, in the lineup for 2023/24?

Pettersson

Horvat - Podkolzin

Miller - Mikheyev

Lazar - Studnicka

Pederson

Lockwood

Hughes

Myers

OEL - Bear

Dermott - Burroughs

OUT - Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Schenn, Joshua, Martin, Rathbone, Dries (Abby), Stillman (Abby) 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Miller’s gonna be regulated to strictly more offensive usage. I don’t think he’ll be taking much of Horvat’s workload. It’ll be interesting to see how they address that. 

Alot of miller's back checking issue are because he's gassed. Imo he needs shorter shifts and less overall ice time and we will see that sort of thing decline. 

• There it is 2

One guy that I think is ecstatic with the coaching change is Garland.  Coner started his NHL career with Tocchet

as the head coach and has stated that he credits him for helping him to become an NHL player.  I don't think Gar

was disappointed to see Bruce leave the building.

As for the others, it's anyone's guess.  These players have spent most of their lives dealing with coaches with

various styles.  They know the adjustment they need to make to be on the right side of whomever is coaching

the team.  In the end, we all know that JR already has a long list of trade bait, so there will still be changes

coming.

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Alot of miller's back checking issue are because he's gassed. Imo he needs shorter shifts and less overall ice time and we will see that sort of thing decline. 

Partially. The main thing is he isn’t a good defensive player(and has never been really) and a lot of his turnovers are more a result of poor decision making than fatigue. 

Mainly I think Tocchet will shelter Miller away from defensive responsibilities and strictly utilize him offensively. 

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Partially. The main thing is he isn’t a good defensive player(and has never been really) and a lot of his turnovers are more a result of poor decision making than fatigue. 

Mainly I think Tocchet will shelter Miller away from defensive responsibilities and strictly utilize him offensively. 

Bo will get the sheltered man nukes.  Petey and Miller will match up.  

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Miller’s gonna be regulated to strictly more offensive usage. I don’t think he’ll be taking much of Horvat’s workload. It’ll be interesting to see how they address that

shane wright.jpg

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Simple question - with a complete change in structural philosophy, who will do well and who won't under Tocchet?

I think Myers will have a resurgence of his game and become solid defensively again as will OEL. Can't really get much worse but I think there's still some peak Myers in there and Rick will unlock it (already looks like he's paired with Hughes).

I think Miller will struggle to score to be honest and drop his points a fair bit as will Horvat.

I think Petey will drop a bit of offence but not really noticeably as will Hughes, their superstar skills will pull them through.

I wonder if Myers and OEL will thrive... because of Foote and Gonchar respectively.  From their IG story, Foote was working with the guys on their play at RD, and he's the beast of a defensive RD that we could only hope Myers becomes.  As for Gonchar, he was seen talking with Hughes so hope he helps him and OEL bring up their games as PP QB seeing how successful Sergei was in his heyday.  As for Tocchet, it's tough to say who would do well, but I think Tocchet may either be the tough love that gets Miller to become more detail oriented to get Coach off his back, or he'll be so tough on him that Miller wants out (which would be a good thing IMO).  Seeing how much he's a self-starter, I hope he's not that tough on Petey when EP's already tough on himself.  As for the other vets with good character (e.g., Schenn, Boeser, Horvat) I hope Tocchet knows when to be tough and when and how to let up, since morale in the room already can't be too high given the firing of the popular coach and the current team's standing.  Grate a hard worker down and they'll just burn out so he's gotta be conscious of that.