The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

12 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I wouldn't be surprised if management let's rumors swirl, Seems like they quite enjoy them.

Seems that way

There's a fine line between quashing things and allowing things to swirl in order to potentially generate interest

If management has any sense they're leaking what they want leaked to the media 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Allvin was a little cagey when asked about Demko after the Columbus game. He started saying the All Star Break would be good for players to get rest, then landed on 3 weeks as when he expected Demko to return. 

Wonder what’s going on there, as he seemed to be biding time with that response, could just be related to the injury, but who knows

yeah, I found it interesting as well. felt like he was coming up with a meaningless number off the top of his head for the timeframe -- meaningless because he knows thatcher will be traded before he returns from injury? who knows?

4 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, I found it interesting as well. felt like he was coming up with a meaningless number off the top of his head for the timeframe -- meaningless because he knows thatcher will be traded before he returns from injury? who knows?

Okay, so not just me. They’re usually pretty blunt and share (if anything) more than you’d expect. Last time Allvin was bluffing (when asked about Horvat before the trade), he said ‘we’ll see what happens here.” So now when he’s vague, I assume something is in the works. 

Edited by Kenny Powers

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Allvin was a little cagey when asked about Demko after the Columbus game. He started saying the All Star Break would be good for players to get rest, then landed on 3 weeks as when he expected Demko to return. 

Wonder what’s going on there, as he seemed to be biding time with that response, could just be related to the injury, but who knows

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems that way

There's a fine line between quashing things and allowing things to swirl in order to potentially generate interest

If management has any sense they're leaking what they want leaked to the media 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

It's crystal clear that this management group doesn't have a clue how to deal with media in a Canadian market.  They haven't figured out that everything they say/do will be examined under a microscope not to mention that even the most trivial baseless conjecture, unless snuffed out, will snowball into an unwieldy, social media-fed monster. 

They also haven't figured out that Canadian market fans know the game, and know it well - and that they will be able to see directly through the fact the messages that this management group says versus what they actually do - don't add up. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Okay, so not just me. They’re usually pretty blunt and share (if anything) more than you’d expect. Last time Allvin was bluffing (when asked about Horvat before the trade), he said ‘we’ll see what happens here.” So now when he’s vague, I assume something is in the works. 

not really related, but I'd really like someone to pointedly ask rutherford what changed with horvat. prior to signing miller, rutherford's statements were always very luke warm and non-committal towards jt, yet at the same when he was asked about horvat his response was glowing and warm and very confident that he'd be here for the long haul. 

curious. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

It's crystal clear that this management group doesn't have a clue how to deal with media in a Canadian market.  They haven't figured out that everything they say/do will be examined under a microscope not to mention that even the most trivial baseless conjecture, unless snuffed out, will snowball into an unwieldy, social media-fed monster. 

They also haven't figured out that Canadian market fans know the game, and know it well - and that they will be able to see directly through the fact the messages that this management group says versus what they actually do - don't add up. 

Absolutely agreed. The bit yesterday about our getting three first round picks from Allvin for example was hilarious. They continue to underestimate the BC market and how dialed in this fandom is. If there's something to know, real or not, and it gets out, we'll catch wind.

BC and Vancouver ain't Pittsburgh, totally different animal.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

not really related, but I'd really like someone to pointedly ask rutherford what changed with horvat. prior to signing miller, rutherford's statements were always very luke warm and non-committal towards jt, yet at the same when he was asked about horvat his response was glowing and warm and very confident that he'd be here for the long haul. 

curious. 

Probably because JT had a great season prior and JR got trigger happy.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuck You said:

Probably because JT had a great season prior and JR got trigger happy.

that was already in the books when rutherford was sounding far more sold on horvat sticking around than miller. something changed in that equation and i'm not sure what, when or why. maybe they were banking on bo being more likely to take a discount, and when it became clear he wanted to max out they went in a different direction? no idea, but something definitely changed. 

On 1/30/2023 at 11:33 AM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Goalies historically don't get good hauls.  Schneider got us a top 10 pick. That's it, one piece. We are lucky Horvat worked out because draft picks are a gamble.

Go look at the return Montreal received for a prime Patrick Roy.

Demko is more valuable on the Canucks than the return he would garner, imo.

Yes, the Schneider trade, at the time, was a terrible one. Schneider was healthy and was looking like he was a legit goalie. Yet we only garnered an unknown asset as you alluded to.

Just because it works out in hindsight doesn't mean it was a good trade. Schneider could've gone on to become Brodeur 2.0 and Horvat could've busted. That situation could've been possible as well.

We've had three pretty bad managers in a row, all of them bad for their own reasons.

Edited by Dazzle

I'm likely in the minority here but I don't think Demko is that good so a trade would be welcomed. I do believe he is part of the problem for our PK. Although our penalty killing skaters aren't great they aren't historical levels of bad. Poor goaltending skill on the PK has destroyed it. What's the saying, your goalie has to be your best PKer? 

Edited by AK_19
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm likely in the minority here but I don't think Demko is that good so a trade would be welcomed. I do believe he is part of the problem for our PK. Although our penalty killing skaters aren't great they aren't historical levels of bad. Poor goaltending skill on the PK has destroyed it. What's the saying, your goalie has to be your best PKer? 

I’m also in the minority I always felt Demkos been a bit overrated by fanbase and media.

If we can get a 1st and some solid dman in return I say pull the trigger!

• Like 1

They're not rushing Demko back because there's no need to.  If he's garnering attention, he could come back to play for his new team, ready to go, should we trade him.

Could we shake out a RHD for Demko is another question.  Clarke from LA is the dream and as usual who do the Pens give up if they want him?

If he does end up getting traded, maybe we can trade Boeser to CGY for Marky as he could be happy to be back with Ian Clark and waive his NMC.   

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Demko is the only reason we were close to playoffs last year. You really think other goalies will do great with those defense that has Schenn on the top pairing and 2 ECHL defenders in OEL and Myers in the top 4? Even Prime Hasek would miss the playoffs with this group. 

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Demko is the only reason we were close to playoffs last year. You really think other goalies will do great with those defense that has Schenn on the top pairing and 2 ECHL defenders in OEL and Myers in the top 4? Even Prime Hasek would miss the playoffs with this group. 

I'm not saying he's a bad goalie 5v5 but I do think specifically for the PK he has been godawful. Calling Myers/OEL ECHL defenders is completely unwarranted. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

curious. 

Good point.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Absolutely agreed. The bit yesterday about our getting three first round picks from Allvin for example was hilarious. They continue to underestimate the BC market and how dialed in this fandom is. If there's something to know, real or not, and it gets out, we'll catch wind.

BC and Vancouver ain't Pittsburgh, totally different animal.

Well. Steelers and Pitt football are number one there. Give them time. They are slowly getting it and are shocked and kind of pumped on the questions they are getting.

27 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Definitely a minority but I see where you're coming from, as do friends of mine who aren't Canucks fans.

He's slipped this year for sure, and we could still get a haul for him. 

I'm of the belief that a good team infront of the goaltender can make anyone look good. As can a bad team in from of the goaltender make anyone look bad. I'm not opposed to finding a cheaper option and improving the team infront of the goaltender with that money.

I think he's a solid goalie. Not Elite, but he has star quality. 

It would sting if he left and we couldn't find a solid replacement though, and goaltending became our downfall. I'm so used to having good goaltending since Luongo, us fans could be biting off more than we can chew by encouraging a Demko trade.

Torn on this one...

Personally I'd hold onto him for the rest of the season and see how he performs. If he struggles it could diminish his trade value a little but I think there would still be teams lining up for him in the offseason.