The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It’s all garbage after Dem. We would need to sign a FA or trade for a goalie. 

I strongly believe Dem is untouchable. A team needs a top goalie out. QH next most valuable and then Petey. 

I agree, if our goal is a short term retool. Trading any of the 3 you mentioned is not the way to do it. Demko makes 5mil and we seen him when he's on his game. He has top 3 in the league ability. Health is the only question mark. Maybe management doesn't like what they see. I don't have access to Demko's health like that, so like you I also think Demko is too valuable to trade. Which is why I said if we are thinking of doing it, it's gotta be a blow up the roster move. Which management said they don't want to do.

So long story short. Either he's injured to the point management doesn't trust him or the rumor is whatever. Teams can be interested, that doesn't mean we are shopping him or thinking of seriously moving him. It wouldn't make sense for the retool narrative they are pushing.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

don't care about Dumba, but they're trying to move Greenway and Wallstedt was one of my picks too, but I doubt Minny wants to move him

To this day I still find it hilarious how Edmonton passed on Wallstedt for another undersized scoring forward. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

I know the people that rented their condo to Demko prior to the end of last season, or shortly thereafter. The new tenant is Quinn Hughes. The reason TD got out of his lease was that he wanted to buy in Vancouver. Saying that, two hip surgeries are serious regardless if they're only "cleaning" something up. I'm saying they're going to shut him down for the rest of the season, give him an entire summer to train, hopefully the real Demko is ready to go. However......is this another QH's moment when talking about Tanner Pearson?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

That’s all fine and dandy way to think but we have absolutely NOTHING coming down the pipe for goaltending. Dem is young and will still be in his prime when this team eventually turns the tide.

I'm not a tank guy, but the argument to hang onto him for the future is a little nutty.

first of all, he's 27, not young. why would he want to sit around for a few years on a team that knows it's going to be bad?

second of all, keeping him for later only delays the turnaround because you might pick up enough extra points that you're drafting 10th overall instead of 5th.

thirdly, if he's 30 by the time the team is ready to go, who's to say he's still in top form? there's no reason to think he won't be (other than injuries), but it's still a risk when he's a top asset right now.

fourth of all, there's plenty of time to acquire and/or develop goaltending before the team is a playoff team again, assuming they've resigned themselves to not being one for the time being. 

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

To this day I still find it hilarious how Edmonton passed on Wallstedt for another undersized scoring forward. 

that's one of the few deals I'd do with Demko involved.  JW is a legit star in the making

• Like 1

I would not move on from Demko. I honestly cant say who/what goalie is available that would be an upgrade on Demko. And one we can actually get and afford to keep.

I wouldn’t normally give this talk much value but the one thing that worries me is what was said in the presser w. JR a while back was his answer on Demko. He needs to want to vome in and play for us. Can’t remember the exact words but something like that. 

He has been struggling before the injury, big time. But have you seen an angrier face than what he has displayed this season? You wonder if everything is ok there.

37 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

We trade Demko IF we can get Wallstedt or Brandt Clarke or something. Otherwise, we keep him so he can prop up the young guns for our rebuild. Good goaltending is imperative for a successful re-tool. 

Precisely this.

I can see Allvin having a major hard-on for Wallstedt, though.

Gotta believe that Demko's got some Carter Hart in him.  Philly's #1 went 13-24 last season with 3.16 and 0.905 sv% but the Flyers wisely held on to him.  Demko's achieved more than Hart has and this season's blame could easily be divvied up between himself and the defensive structure in front of him, but with recovery and a fresh start and commitment to defense he'll probably rebound.  It's too early to trade him, since we may risk returning to that dreaded goalie graveyard (I'm not sold that either Spencer Martin or Delia are the next coming of Pheonix Copley).

here's another question: does ian clark want to stick around with this new regime and are those feelings mutual? what does his contract look like in terms of ways out?

I'm speculating based on absolutely nothing again (just like a true member of the canucks numedia crowd!), but hey, his world has changed a lot since he signed that deal and maybe he doesn't like the lay of the land. maybe the new group doesn't value his scouting voice the same way, or his game day decisions. or ...

questions, questions everywhere.