The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading your captain when you didn't have to is horrible management. Signing a player who was still under contract for this whole season, to an 7 year deal, when he's 29 is horrible management. 

Benning's no longer the GM, in case you didn't notice, but I guess if you want to buttress part of your tenuous argument on previous management, you will. 

Allvin has no plan, and it shows. He got decent pieces back in the trade, yet failed to address in any significant way the most glaring weakness on the team.....you know, the defense. I'm looking at this pragmatically, so there's really no emotion involved here, only an observation that this team has a poor management group, on par with the previous one. 

Maybe it wasn’t there? No chance they were getting Dobson. So maybe they got the best deal that was on the table. Not like contending teams are gonna trade their top 4 young Dmen. 

It’s rare for teams to trade D men especially young RHD for a forward on an expiring contract. I know what Canucks fans expected but most of the time their expectations are irrational. I know Benning isn’t the GM lol I was making fun of this fan base and using an example. 

There was talk of Brandon Carlo for Bo, would that have been preferred in your eyes? Cause he’s one hit away from retiring due to concussions. 

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Absolutely. Some awesome D prospects are being muscleled out of some deserving top 10 positions because of some  insane depth at Center this year. Honestly, what I wanted most from this trade was another mid first rounder. If Raty develops into a full time NHLer, this is a win. It's obviously a win for the Isles right now but this could shift over time.

Absolutely! There's some good D who would likely go top 10 in an "average" draft, that should be available there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ouch. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I mean so is general hockey smarts.

Smart thing would have been to not re-sign Miller after a career year last year when he wasn't even in his final year and extend Bo to a 7M deal before his contract year. There was no way Miller was going to re-create a 99pt season, and there's always a good chance a player plays out of their socks in their contract year, especially with offence going up. Any relatively smart person could have connected those dots.

Then we'd have Bo down for 7M x say 6-7 years, and Miller scoring at a 70 point pace who we could have traded or haggle down to a 6-7M deal.

Management have really done Bo and Bruce dirty here and it's a crying shame how they've treated two of the best people in hockey. I know it's all a business but don't know what they saw in Miller over Bo to pick him over our captain.

They got it wrong for sure. 

At least they know it now and have made their first big move to turn the roster around. 

• elephant 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Will be very interesting to see if Bo signs a long-term deal with them.

He’ll go UFA.    almost guarantee it..  once he gets the numbers coming back he’ll want to return here for 7m per.

We’ll off load cap where we can and see if he’s available.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Feel bad. But he could have stayed for less money

Where do you get the idea Bo was somehow asking for too much?

There has been zero information regarding the offers to Bo.

Bo has been underpaid in every year he has been a Canuck... they were getting excellent value at $5.2 million.

And to suggest somehow he was asking for more than Miller... I don't buy it.

Let's wait and see what he actually signs for on the Island or in free agency.

If he get put on the first unit PP with Barzal and starts filling the net... (which would not be a surprise) he might get a big pay package... but if not, he will probably get less than Miller.  And he would have been asking for less than that.. less than market in Vancouver... he didn't want to move... he is the team's captain, he has a young family, Vancouver has been his home.

I think management low balled him in the summer... and Bo said... no thanks, I will put in my best effort this season and come back at the end of the year.... he did and now management has egg all over their faces because he has delivered on his performance.

I'm on team tank, so I'm good with this deal.

Would I prefer that Canucks had signed Bo in the offseason and were trading Miller right now? Sure, but that isn't what happened.

As I see it, we got a player on a short term, a prospect with a lot of upside and a first round pick in a good draft. That's a pretty decent return for a pending FA whom everyone on the planet knew we had to trade.

As far as getting a RHD "Instead". why? Are we looking for a guy who will improve the team's defensively play right now? Not me. I want at least a shot at Bedard. This team is nowhere close to contending, so I see zero point in trying to acquire a defender to rescue this season. We've got draft capital now. We can use that and find a defender who will come into his own a few years down the road....

I still think this management team has sucked balls.....but I think this was as good as they could have done....and I'm down with it.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Can you delete all your posts since October 28th while you are at it?

ethan-bear-canucks-twitter.jpeg

I love Bear but come on.

He was barely top 4 in bloody edmonton

Was a scratched 7th d in Carolina

But is our top 4 rhd

Stretching things a bit here no?

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

the question now is

can the 13-18th and Canucks 1st

get you 1st OA?

I was watching Hey Burkie earlier today

so far, there is no Hey Allvinie

lol 

Ask the Habs if they'd do it for pick 6 and 13.  I can promise you the answer is no

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just shows how much he loved Vancouver.

He absolutely must be gutted but had to have known the entire year this was coming after Miller was signed.  It would explain how hard he's played all year.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Well from what gather lou just doubled down on a roster that has proven to be bad for 2 seasons now and the fans all want them to be collecting youth haha! 

LOU just gave away 2 top prospects and a 1st rounder. like what? Who would do that, and why would any any Canuck fan complain about such a huge haul? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1