The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Two key items:

- if Raty is a better fit with EP (Bo was not a good complimentary 2C). If Raty is as advertised, in that he has a solid 200 foot game with good defensive skills, then he will be great for the team.

- where the Isles pick lands - either middle 1st this year or lotterery next year will be a win

This is a good start and I expect better results now that Bo is gone with a new leadership group taking over

One more item........they took back $4.1m in salary for one more year which means minimal cap savings in the off season and they also retained on Bo this season, so no cap savings for this year, which they really could have wrapinized at the tdk

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pettersson is the clear choice. 

Nobody gets the 'C' this year.

Next year we will see who is still on the team... then they will decide who is Captain midway through the season.

That way they encourage competition between the players.

There is also the fact Pettersson might not want it... and would prefer to wear just an 'A'.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

My point is, don't take that deal........at least not 5 weeks before the deadline.  Give it a couple of weeks and see how lou feels then or find another deal.

At least go for lottery or 5 protected........something.

But that's always going to be an outlier when trading picks.....you will never know what exact # that pick will be? It's always been that way. This year's is protected top 12 and if it is then we get next year's. Where the NYI finish next year is completely irrelevant and out of everyone's control. They are average this year and are an old team. I dont see them taking any major steps forward.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

You are totally accurate stawns but do you see him as a 50 goal guy? He’s having a career year and hats off to him. Timing is everything. Is Bo maybe more realistically a 30 goal 60-70 point guy moving forward? Someone is going to pay him around 8M a year for 7 years. Will he be worth it?

We have a history with Bo but people crapping all over the trade when 1 piece is unknown, another is relatively unknown and the 3rd looks serviceable are perhaps suffering from recency bias.

Let’s hope there are more trades that can help put this one in context.

Hopefully PA is better drafting for us than he was for the Pens.

I'm not sure he'll have a year like this, but his goal scoring progression has been steady. I think he's a dependable 35-40 goal guy.  This year is a big jump, but increasing his goal numbers has been his trend.

4 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

We have actually taken a direction and it’s clear, Canucks fans should be happy that it looks like we are rebuilding and this trade shows that. Management can talk all they want but this move is a rebuilding move. 

Can’t please everyone!

Good.

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Also....lol....

With the right development this kid can really pop off. Was projected 1st overall at one point, strong defensive game…

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

A 1st round pick and a young center in Raty, I think your unrealistic return for a UFA is THE PROBLEM

Lol and a cap dump. Beauvillier is a cap dump however way u want to look at it. It’s not being unrealistic.. it’s the crap spewed out by the current management not looking to rebuild etc etc etc wanting 3 players and not draft pick etc etc everything about this prolly won’t make an impact for anyother 4-5 years. It’s pretty weak return when u have to take on Beauvillier as a cap dump at 4+ mil for his projected 30 points.. that 1st should have at least been unprotected.. 

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Nobody gets the 'C' this year.

Next year we will see who is still on the team... then they will decide who is Captain midway through the season.

That way they encourage competition between the players.

There is also the fact Pettersson might not want it... and would prefer to wear just an 'A'.

Good point. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

But who knows what would have been in 3, 4, 5 weeks as standings change and teams watch other teams load up.  There was potential for a serious arms race in the east and now the Canucks just sit and watch.

Yeah, but that's all speculation. He almost got hurt last game. What if... he actually got injured prior

to the trade deadline, while never planning to re-sign here? 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

But that's always going to be an outlier when trading picks.....you will never know what exact # that pick will be? It's always been that way. This year's is protected top 12 and if it is then we get next year's. Where the NYI finish next year is completely irrelevant and out of everyone's control. They are average this year and are an old team. I dont see them taking any major steps forward.

Top 12 protected?  I haven't heard a lot of top 12 protected before.