The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think most fans would be disappointed. It’s the whole speed up the retool philosophy though.  So I wouldn’t be overly shocked.  

With the size of the executive team and all their accolades, you'd have to think they know something we don't or they must have a plan... I just don't see a plan though. Their move today wasn't a sped up retool. It was a classic rebuild. 

I can't see how they'll take the islanders first and raty and somehow turn that into a young blue chip rhd. 

Who knows... Maybe they already locked up Livingstone and just need 1 more top pairing D man in FA to solidify our D and then run Myers and OEL as the 2nd pairing. 

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Beauvillier scoring at a decent rate in the playoffs compared to his regular season.  

Not that we’ll be there this year… but it’s always nice to see a guy who can elevate his game.

Also the islanders barely score 2 goals a game. Barzal who is a great player can barely get 60 points a season. Beauvillier is the most interesting piece to me in a way. I think Raty is a great piece and obviously the pick is awesome but Beau will be interesting to see on a new team 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Agree.  But the team needs more sandpaper and experience in top 9.  Hogz, podz, raty, still have a lot to learn. 

Yep, that’s why I love that all 3 guys are in the AHL. Let the kids learn and carry a team on their own.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I think you're gonna be dissapointed. 

More than likely, yeah. But SS is right, that you have to stand up for each other. 

It doesn't mean that you're the Broad Street Bullies, but you can't allow others to 

take liberties on your teammates/star players. Period. 

I grew up that way, and I would still play that way. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Disagree. We got the highest 1st we likely could have, their best prospect, and a serviceable NHLer to make the cap work. Don’t stress Beauvillier, it could have been Bailey.

Good point. There is a big difference between picking 14th or 15th and picking 28th or 29th. Also, Beauvillier is there mainly to make the move financially feasible for the Isles. The Canucks had to take money back. Beauvillier is not bad from that point of view and might even be tradeable at the deadline for a pick (3rd round?) if the Canucks retain some salary. 

• Cheers 2

2 things to mention

the Canucks would have gotten more if they allowed teams to talk extension but they didn’t wanna risk getting less so the cut their losses which was the wise/safe move 

Canucks have added 9.5m in cap in wingers in The past week for next season which makes me wonder what’s next….

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Draft pick will probably be a RHD prospect

We'll do ok if we draft Dragacevic, Richmond boy & Swedish Axel Sandin Pellikka

Both RHD, Drago a big boy at 6'3''. Pellikka a slick, skilled PMD, ultra calm with the puck, well positioned defensively.  Less dynamic than Hughes, but better in other area's, similar size.  

Both in the wheelhouse, might even be able to trade down for one? Sandin is effectively the top ranked D by most outlets, but only 10 to 17th depending where??? Being top ranked D, will expect he goes higher than his ranking, cough, us...  :ph34r:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529817/lukas-dragicevic

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/534818/axel-sandin-pellikka

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Fingers crossed.......it would be one explanation for why they did this deal now.  Perhaps they want to be laser focused on moving miller now 

Hoping so. I could see teams having interest, we'd just have to take cap to facilitate a move. 

As much as I'm pretty open about my wanting to move Miller out I don't believe he's worthless, I doubt other GM's do either. But given most of the league is cap strapped we'd almost certainly have to take cap space back and it'd probably be more of a hockey trade than a garnering an actual return kind of trade. 

And I'd be okay with that if said deal/deals coming back freed up cap space sooner. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Disagree. We got the highest 1st we likely could have, their best prospect, and a serviceable NHLer to make the cap work. Don’t stress Beauvillier, it could have been Bailey.

It's just as possible to end up with a 20+ pick next season.  

Dealing with a team at the top, you'd get a lower pick, but you'd balance that with better pieces with it........and not take on a $4m cap hit for two seasons for a redundant winger

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

To what end?  Keep in mind, that was my job in Jr, so I like that style of hockey.  It's just not a part of the game anymore and you can't afford to risk W's.

Lol what do you mean. The Bruins played that style, put Raymond in a Stetcher and won the cup. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So apparently the 2023 draft is supposed to be just as good as the 2003 draft.  Some players who were drafted in 2003 in the 1st round after the 12th pick:

Brent Seabrook

Zach Parise

Ryan Getzlaf

Brent Burns

Ryan Kesler

Corey Perry

Bergeron at 45

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So we win the 2023 draft lottery.  Not too much to ask really.  Here is what we can look forward to:

Kuzmenko    Pettersson    Mikheyev

Miller            Bedard          Klimovich

Hoglander    Raty              Podkolzin

Joshua         Aman            Lazar

That's not bad I think.  Add a little more sandpaper in the bottom 6 and I think we are good to go.

As for the defence, only God knows how we will fix that...

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1