The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which is why we should all be very excited about the potential that first in the Bo deal is a top five selection in the 2024 draft. 

That was only really a possibility if he left the Isles. They are a middle of the pack team without him. With him they should be a playoff team. At the very least a team knocking on the door. Until Lee, Bailey and Nelson get too deep into their 30s. We really gotta hope they don't go top 12 this year. Cause I see a full year of Bo making that 1st in the 20s. Hell, if he stays on his torrent pace that could be an early 20s pick this year. I don't like him at 8.5mil. But he's still a legit 30 goal scorer.

ITS A BUSINESS BUT I KNOW FOR SURE INTODAYS WORLD WITH THAT TYPE OF PLAYER YOU DONT FIND TOO OFTEN..HE MAY NOT BE OVECHKIN OR MACDAVID OR A MARNER BUT HE HAS QUALITIESEVERY HOCKEY TEAM WOULD WANT...HE IS COOL CALM AND HAS THAT TEAN TOUGHNESS IN HIM WITH GOOD SKILL SET...NO FIRST ROUNDER WILL GURANTEE YOU THAT..

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I appreciate your quote even more knowing the fan you are Deb.… and also realizing, that yes,  Bo had been a “favorite “ of your for many years.

But a lot of us “stallward” fans, like yourself who have watched the different “eras” this franchise has rolled out,  realize the intensity it took to get to  those 3 cup finals,  and know that same intensity is needed.

Nobody should question intensity,  it shows integrity .   ..  and I think it’s something Bo missed in any kind of mentorship to him becoming Captain.

Let’s throw a C on Miller for 3 years,  and then if we have to , give it to Petey then.… but EP does not need that responsibility yet, he is too young, and still developing..   As was Bo when he got the C.

Pettersson will be 25 before next season is even half over, he's on pace for roughly 100 points so I question how much more development you think he needs 

Pettersson's in his prime, he's not some fresh faced rookie 

I don't see any reason why he couldn't handle the captaincy going forward 

It's pretty clear whose team this is going forward and it's been evident for a while 

I'd personally go with A's for a couple years and see who steps up but I don't see why Pettersson couldn't handle it

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

That was only really a possibility if he left the Isles. They are a middle of the pack team without him. With him they should be a playoff team. At the very least a team knocking on the door. Until Lee, Bailey and Nelson get too deep into their 30s. We really gotta hope they don't go top 12 this year. Cause I see a full year of Bo making that 1st in the 20s. Hell, if he stays on his torrent pace that could be an early 20s pick this year. I don't like him at 8.5mil. But he's still a legit 30 goal scorer.

Isn't his torrent pace lately one goal in his last ten games?

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

The Eastern conference arms race will be interesting at the TDL. I think Bo and Barzal will flourish, but NYI will have  stiff competition to make the playoffs

As we saw last year it’s so hard to pass teams this time of year, and they’ve got some pretty good teams in their division.

I said earlier they need to go like 19-8-3 to just squeak in which would put them at a higher points percentage than all but three teams in the league have achieved this far.

Edited by DeNiro

So I started reading this thread and decided after the 1st page to make a drinking game. Take a swig of brandy each time i came across the "dodged a bullet" statement and man am I like 2,000 sheets to the wind or what- woooooooooooooo!!!! :sick:

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Not sure where the Bo hatred is coming from.  Rumor was last summer that a team-friendly deal was immintent.  Management must have got cold feet and decided to prioritize Miller after they botched his trade x 2 (rangers at the TDL and isles at the draft).  

He had a huge contract year and got paid.  He may have been able to get more on the open market but the Isles made him an offer he didn't want to pass up.  I'm sure he liked the feeling of being wanted.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

The Eastern conference arms race will be interesting at the TDL. I think Bo and Barzal will flourish, but NYI will have  stiff competition to make the playoffs

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s not the Islanders system though.

He’ll get way less opportunities offensively then he did here. He won’t be able to cheat like he did here.

I could still see him being a solid 25-30 goal scorer, but his offense will undoubtedly drop.

My thoughts on how this plays out..

The Islanders will not be able to trade Horvat with that contract.

The Islanders will miss the playoffs.

The Islanders will fire Lou Lamorella.

The Islanders will be in chaos and keep this draft pick (a top ten).

The Islanders will tear down around Horvat ,

Barzal, and Sorokin.

We will get a top 5 1st round pick next season,

which plays out better for our development and timeline for new prospects.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Miller has been a point per game player as a Canuck. Outside of this year, Horvat’s highest production year was 61 points. Huge risk, but it could work out cause of Barzal, I guess. 

Based on what we know about physics, I don't think it is possible for this deal to work out. It is just too much of an overpay

5 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

ITS A BUSINESS BUT I KNOW FOR SURE INTODAYS WORLD WITH THAT TYPE OF PLAYER YOU DONT FIND TOO OFTEN..HE MAY NOT BE OVECHKIN OR MACDAVID OR A MARNER BUT HE HAS QUALITIESEVERY HOCKEY TEAM WOULD WANT...HE IS COOL CALM AND HAS THAT TEAN TOUGHNESS IN HIM WITH GOOD SKILL SET...NO FIRST ROUNDER WILL GURANTEE YOU THAT..

YES BUT WE ARE IN A REBUILD AND HE DOESN'T FIT OUR TIMELINE TO COMPETE.

• Haha 1