The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I agree with letting more of the farm team having a shot. I think players like Wolanin and Brisebois could thrive up here if given enough time. Then there's also prospects like Raty who may very much just be a matter of time.

That being said, I still want to see us shore up our defense more without relying on prospects to jump in. The unfortunate thing is that could get expensive, and that's not even considering cap.

Well where we stand right now,  I think Wooly Breezer and Juulz are matching up quite well to anything we might be looking for..

I can only imagine with this taste,  and a full Summer ahead,  how they will be in Camp.

Although the absence of Hroneck right now isn’t giving us the full vision ,  we are better than what we were at the beginning of the season even without Hroneck in the line up.

Of course I say this after a shot blowout on Demko last night..   lol.

but in other games , we are closer in gap and better in breakouts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well where we stand right now,  I think Wooly Breezer and Juulz are matching up quite well to anything we might be looking for..

I can only imagine with this taste,  and a full Summer ahead,  how they will be in Camp.

Although the absence of Hroneck right now isn’t giving us the full vision ,  we are better than what we were at the beginning of the season even without Hroneck in the line up.

Of course I say this after a shot blowout on Demko last night..   lol.

but in other games , we are closer in gap and better in breakouts.

So, personally, I'm more about overall consistency. On a random note, maybe I should start learning more about advanced stats as there's ideas I want to bring up here about defense but don't know for certain and I know that looking at advanced stats could either back me up or prove I'm wrong.

That being said, I will say "closer in gap" tells me there's still a gap, which is not what we want at the end of the day. lol

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So, personally, I'm more about overall consistency. On a random note, maybe I should start learning more about advanced stats as there's ideas I want to bring up here about defense but don't know for certain and I know that looking at advanced stats could either back me up or prove I'm wrong.

That being said, I will say "closer in gap" tells me there's still a gap, which is not what we want at the end of the day. lol

By that I meant tight coverage ..  just seemed to me last night they weren’t defending as aggressively,   Other games it’s like they don’t give time or space and shut down is quicker.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, coryberg said:

Schenn is logging 12:29 a night with the leafs where as he hovered around 17 minutes in his 3 seasons in van. I'm thinking it's a safe bet we get him back this offseason.

If Schenn is playing 17 minutes a night for Van next year it means Allvin didn’t get his job done. Luke is a 7/8 guy on a contending team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If Schenn is playing 17 minutes a night for Van next year it means Allvin didn’t get his job done. Luke is a 7/8 guy on a contending team. 

If Schenn can put up .38 points per game, lead the team in hits, protect his teammates and be a plus player I have no problem at all with him being on the 3rd pair.

33 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If Schenn can put up .38 points per game, lead the team in hits, protect his teammates and be a plus player I have no problem at all with him being on the 3rd pair.

But Luke Schenn won’t put up 38 points playing 3D. We are all fans of what he brought the team this season but bottom line it was a terrible season for the Canucks. The team has to build towards a better future and the TOI Luke would take should be invested in younger players who might mature to be members of a Cup contender. That is why I say he should be a 7/8D. We don’t know yet whether Meyers will be gone or not. If he is there could be a bigger role for Schenn. Obviously a lot of uncertainty moving towards fall. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Schenner does not need to bring any offence. If he reverts to 7 point a season Schenn, as long as he is defensively responsible and hits, he's a good 3rd pair guy. 

Hronek was the big add on the back end this year and while I think we’ll make one more move, it’s far more likely we find a solid LD than another high profile RD. 

In other words, Hughes might play with Hronek.. but will likely have to play with someone on the cheap to maximize the Hronek acquisition. 

That means Schenn on a reasonable contract should be welcomed back with arms wide open.  If he gets beat out so what - he’s signed for cheap.  There’s zero benefit to penciling in Burrows or Juulsen next season without competition. Let the best man win. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Hronek was the big add on the back end this year and while I think we’ll make one more move, it’s far more likely we find a solid LD to play with Hughes / OEL than another high profile RD. 

In other words, Hughes might play with Hronek.. but will likely have to play with someone on the cheap to maximize the Hronek acquisition. 

That means Schenn on a reasonable contract should be welcomed back with arms wide open.  If he gets beat out so what - he’s signed for cheap.  There’s zero benefit to penciling in Burrows or Juulsen next season without competition. Let the best man win. 

That's the rumor. His agent said on the D/D show that they'd definitely considered the return in free agency.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, ilduce39 said:

Hronek was the big add on the back end this year and while I think we’ll make one more move, it’s far more likely we find a solid LD than another high profile RD. 

I personally wouldn't want Hronek paired with Hughes. They should be on separate pairings. 

Like you say, let the best man win the RD. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

I personally wouldn't want Hronek paired with Hughes. They should be on separate pairings. 

Like you say, let the best man win the RD. 

why not?  That's the pairing I'd have

10 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Both guys can control zone exits maybe occasionally play together but ideally atleast one of them is on the ice 48-50 minutes a night

Why have 48 watered down mins when you can 25-30 dominating mins.  Of course, assuming they have chemistry.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why have 48 watered down mins when you can 25-30 dominating mins.  Of course, assuming they have chemistry.

I’m hoping OEL finds his defensive form. If he does, the pairing I want is OEL-Hronek and then turn Hughes-Bear loose on weaker opponents 

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't want to see Bear on the ice for 20+ mins a night.

I'm hoping Johansson can get into that #2rhd spot and play with OEL, then Myers at 3rhd.  I don't really care if they bring Bear back or not

I’m also on the unpopular side of not liking bears game 

• Cheers 2