The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, Alflives said:

I was hoping the Bo trade for futures was a sign that management was actually making the hockey ops' direction. But I still worried that our owner would get in the way and demand his direction to win now at the cost of futures. He does own the team though. But darn if he's not BIG DOUGH HEAD! 

I had so much hope over the last 2 weeks. Should have know that's for fools when it comes to being a Canucks fan.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I hope so. I'll keep an open mind until the picture is complete but I just don't get what they're doing.

Seems like they’re shoring up the defence, trying to move cap out which has hamstrung the team and would continue to for years. Also, looking to quality players in their mid 20’s to compliment and younger core. 

Hopefully Miller, Myers and Boeser are traded in order to continue that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'll take that bet.

A buyout is UGLY.

Year 1 - $147k

Year 2 - $2.3M

Year 3 - $4.8M!

Year 4 - $4.8M!

Year 5 - $2.1M

Year 6 - $2.1M

Year 7 - $2.1M

Year 8 - $2.1M

Would make WAY more sense to retain $2.5M on him ($4.76M AAV) and trade him away.

He's untradeable.  Nobody is taking him for $4.76 million for 4 years and he has a NMC anyways and won't agree to a trade even if we could find a trade partner.  I'll take that bet.  You name the price.  The only stipulation is that if he goes on LTIR then the bet is off as that is the best-case scenario and may also happen...

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Basically my take. I'm not going to rage about it or gush over it based on a gut reaction. I'm disappointed we lost picks when we should be building, but I'm excited to have a legit young, top 4 RHD. 

Maybe let's just see how it plays out. 

Yup.

Sorry everyone, I'll have to pass on either the :frantic:or :towel:take.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeamTurmoil said:

Injured Dman, -85 in his 5 year career for a 1st and 2nd rounder? That is a low, low bar for wow. I would love for this to work out but this isn't Jeremy Roenick, its Filip Hronek

Hronek is solid. He's been playing on a trash Wings team. Nearly that whole team has been - the past 3 or 4 years. Change of scenery will do wonders. Who cares if he's injured this season - not like we're going to the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

And that’s why we traded for a defencemen. Draft one and wait 5 years 

Draft one wait 5 years and chances of him turning into Philip Horonek are slim.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, aqua59 said:

I enjoy the disappointment on this feed. Predictable, never good enough.

Only speaking for myself, but my issue is that it isn't bad enough....

We've done the "retool" thing several times.....unsuccessfully....

With where we are in the standings and the depth of the upcoming draft there's no way we should be trading picks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Erik Johnson is a 6'4" heavy Dman who is perfect for the 3rd pairing for Colorado's cup run.  OEL is not a 3rd pairing guy.  People want to put him there because they can't fathom that he will be bought out.  Reality is he will be and we will get some beef on that 3rd pairing for $1-2 million.  Who knows, maybe Schenn comes back and plays the 3rd pairing for $1 million...

What does size have to do with it?  I think ability is more important.  If OEL is only having to play 15min a night along with Bear, I think it would be a massive win to have a 3rd pair that can be completely relied upon when they're out there.

Have you looked at the buyout cost of OEL?  Look at it again.  It makes ZERO sense to buyout OEL.  Retaining on him to bring his cap hit down to $4.7M means you could ship him out for sure.

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'd say the majority of the fanbase was anticipating a rebuild, and nobody in the entire league was expecting us to actually be buyers at the trade deadline.  

Did you expect us to be buyers at the deadline?

I expected our team to get younger and better while giving us some cap flexibility.  I don't think we are done yet with moves.  I think Boeser is next.  I think we've improved with our age and talent.  

Edited by Metal Face Doom

3 minutes ago, TeamTurmoil said:

His defensive numbers look alright to you? He was minus 29 and minus 38 in the last 3 years. He had a worse +/- than Mike Green, yes, that Mike Green. 

Alright - if we're looking at his PAST years, this trade was 110% stupid.  He has made a huge jump this year and Yzerman sold high.  Obviously he is an attack-minded D-man (which makes me nervous when he inevitably pairs with Hughes), but his defensive analytics this year look decent.  Not great - but decent.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's an incredibly stupid idea but that makes it more likely with the trash the Canucks have for management.  Hopefully FA has the sense to fire any idiot who even suggests a buyout and Vancouver can wash the stain of Rutherford away.

The trash were the guys before him who made that stupid trade to begin with.  The guys who have to clean up the mess afterwards usually aren't referred to as the trash, they are the clean-up crew.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

Right we’ve been a terrible team as has Detroit should the so called # 4 dman not be almost 20 times  worse than our defensive disaster .

apple to apples 

( and some people said the same when we signed Myers how’s that working out….) 

His stats make Myers look like he’s worth 5 first rounders. 
lololololololol

What a stupid trade. 

39 points in 60 games for a 25 year old right shot defenseman. Exactly what we need. Convenient how you left that out eh?

Just now, brian42 said:

And the Canucks likely won’t use him on PP1. 

He played on the 2nd unit for Detroit anyway I doubt we use him on our 1st

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Seems like they’re shoring up the defence, trying to move cap out which has hamstrung the team and would continue to for years. Also, looking to quality players in their mid 20’s to compliment and younger core. 

Hopefully Miller, Myers and Boeser are traded in order to continue that. 

If those 3 are moved out for picks, prospects and some expiring crap contracts then I get it. But having having followed this franchise for decades I doubt it.

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

you said the prospect cupboard is bare.

i showed otherwise

now you divert on quality.

pretty sure there's a top 10, top 20, top 30 former 1sts developing

not prospects though or good enough though..

couple of 2nds and 3rds too, but hey since they're not in the NHL yet they must be plugs and not prospects, right?

love the logic!

if Pearson & Mikheyev were healthy, Podz&Raty would be in the A.

how old is raty? 20. yet hes not a prospect and wont improve, ever?

oh oh! Kravtsov top10 power forward who has not fully developed his game yet, traded from new york state at the same age of 23 as todd bertuzzi, how did he develop after age 23 if he was not a prospect?

Hoglander is down working on his d game, is that not what a prospect does in the ahl? work on and develop skills to make him not a prospect?

so he could, develop in to a solid NHLer (not a prospect)

Wow, that's your argument.

It's pretty f**king clear what I meant.

Podkolzin and Raty should be in the A, because they're not NHL level players. That doesn't make them prospects.

Being a high pick doesn't mean shit when they've absolutely stalled and shit the bed at both the NHL and AHL level.

I guess Joulevi is a great prospect, wherever the f**k he is?

Can't wait to see what that Jake Virtanen prospect turns into, he was 5th overall!

Yes, Kratsov shows all the tools of Bertuzzi. You're f**king high dude. Keep grasping at straws.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1