The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Regardless it is a first round pick. Haven't you notice in the last 5yrs we have given away high draft picks for D's that haven't panned out for us!!! 

And Hronek is suddenly going to turn into dog crap?

PTSD is a real thing and fans can absolutely be cautious or uneasy about the move but this is an instance where a 1st was not thrown away. It was a secondary 1st in the teams arsenal that secured a big core piece at their biggest weakness right dman.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

So what do you want to do. Sell Hughes and Pettersson? That's the only way you tear it down. Otherwise you piss away their primes and we wait another 10 years to ice a competitive team. 

I don't understand you folks screaming for a rebuild. Our last window to do that was in 2017 or 2018 when we drafted them, but unfortunately Benning decided not to. 

I don't know about the "window for winning" argument in this trade. I don't see it... EP will be 29 and Hronek will be 30. Looks like a perfect window for a run within the next 5 years...

If we don't win the lottery and get a top 2 pick as we are definitely falling back to the 8+ range, I'd bet we trade the pick to move a contract and get a top 4 LD back. I hate it but they are going to rush this one way or another... So that would be my guess lol

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Why does it matter if this trade is made now or in the offseason?  Its the NYI 1st round pick so it wont factor in to the Bedard sweepstakes.

This 100%. The islander pick as it stands would fall at 17 oa. And with Pittsburg making trades with 4 games in hand 60 games vs 64 w/ NYI  it’s safe to say the pick will slide to 18 oa when pitts overtakes NYI which will be soon. The pick  May slide even further. Or possibly next year. If that’s the price for a good rhd then that is what it is. Good rhd don’t  avail them selfs to the point you just ignore that. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why people think any deceng owner would sign off on being as sh!tty as possible for a decade or so.  I know I wouldn't.  Not many, if any, teams recover from that approach, hard to fault a guy for not wanting his team to be the Arizona coyotes.

They've got a good young core of players who are taking over and becoming top players in the league, do we just want to cast those players off?  I don't, I know that.

What this management group has done, is make the wrong decisions on the big moves.  Last tdl, a few of us were mad that they didn't move Miller at his peak value, for a good package and give this team to Petey and Hughes.  When they signed Miller and Boes they made the job of balancing this roster very difficult and really increased the cost and risk of doing completing that task.

Getting out of this mess is going to be expensive and difficult to do.  Trading miller tomorrow is the best way out of it, but they've torpedoed the value of their own asset by making this move today

This is exactly it. Do they flush it on this core (like many think) or try to build around Petey/Hughes. I agree, I don't know how people could watch the way Pettersson has played this year & be happy to give up on him.

Disagree on the Miller stuff though. Your not getting another high end C easily if they deal Miller, gotta keep him now as he's still a really good player. I think if a deal as valuable as the one they got for Horvat was available (specifically the high end draft pick) they would've done it. The pick is what allowed us to get Hronek which is the kind of player they had been looking for the whole time.

With Poolman & Pearson on LTIR they can get under the cap, but I imagine they will move Myers after his bonus is paid.

• Cheers 1

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

So what do you want to do. Sell Hughes and Pettersson? That's the only way you tear it down. Otherwise you piss away their primes and we wait another 10 years to ice a competitive team. 

I don't understand you folks screaming for a rebuild. Our last window to do that was in 2017 or 2018 when we drafted them, but unfortunately Benning decided not to. 

If they don’t want to be part of the rebuild yes. There two player last I checked we need 23 

we should have rebuilder 10 years ago but guess what we had two players so we didn’t.

what we have is a sht mix. You can’t actually think this team that’s actually worse will be better next year. Lol

A ten year rebuild or a forever refool.

I picked rebuild ten years ago i pick it now again

this team doesn’t even come close to being a cup team so who cares if two players need to be traded for a windfall of picks and prospects.

but hey I want to win a cup some rather watch and are more worried about  pete and Hughes as they continue to lose. 

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really have to take issue with this narrative that a rebuild means you can't possibly win for a decade or more....or that Petey and Hughes can't possibly be part of it....

Take a look at who had the 1st overall pick in 2020....and look where they are now....

NYR weren't  a full rebuild.  They got lucky in the COVID draft.  NYR were never a bad team.  Just lucky in 2 drafts.  2020 and 2019