The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

24 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm convinced that Boeser will do a lot better next season. I'm not ready to give up on him and his contract.

What convinces you that he will be better next year?  Another offseason of trying to lose weight and get faster?  Is Tocchet going to get more out of him?

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm convinced that Boeser will do a lot better next season. I'm not ready to give up on him and his contract.

I think he has it in him to return to his previous form, but I don't think he can do it here. Brock is in desperate need of a change of scenery. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m pretty sure that’s mostly humour with a solid dose of irony, but though GMs understand tanking, I don’t think coaches and players like it much. Pretty sure Hughes, Pettersson and Demko would hate it.

If we can get our cap straightened out with a judicious Myers trade, we look to have an interesting lineup for next year, and a really competitive camp. I don’t see how returning Poolman or Dermott will improve over the kids we have playing right now. Even if he gets healthy,  i don’t see how Pearson can make the team. It’s pretty clear who the centres are, unless we have a miracle at the lottery (since the new draft, miracles in terms of pushing seem to be restricted to the east - like it’s some kind of algorithm the NHL has permanently built in. No wonder the drop of the ping pong balls happens in secrecy. 

Unless we have one more horror show of a schedule, we should be a playoff team next year. Interesting to see how much improvement has been built into next year’s D. The pressure is really going to be on for wingers - we have an army of them on either side. Centre ice is thin - an injury to Pettersson would likely torpedo a winning season. The remainder of the season in Abby is going to be really a harbinger of Canucks future. Lot’s of promise: Raty, Karlsson, Hoglander, Bains, Klimovich have all showed considerable growth. Kravtsov will have to show some finish to keep his job. Then there is, what do we have in McDonough? If there are a couple of promising pivots among the college free agents, the Canucks may want to take a flyer on a couple.

I would say the wonder of the ping pong ball drop is merely a poor comprehension of mathematics. Nothing outside of the norms of random number theory. As far as should be a playoff team goes I wouldn't make that leap. We're currently a bottom feeder who have won a couple hockey games in a row and still remain 8th last. I wouldn't quite plan on the playoffs. Our defence and bottom 6 still need work to compete for a wildcard over 82 games. Not to mention other teams have prospects and cap space to improve their teams where we are looking at possibly losing players just to break even.

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I like the signing will get 7--10 game look.. Hard work in summer on his skating will have his transition to NHL..

I think he will need to play 50--60 AHL games next season and if he is playing well he will see NHL time 10--15 games?
Good signing size 6'2- 200 lbs has a great shot and some talent... Cheering for him hope he develops with new group no rush..

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I know they play different positions but based on skill level alone, who's better at end of the final NCAA year: Gaud or Aidan?? 

Gaud, he won the hobey baker award. Do not think Aidan is going to win that, then there is the C vs W. Gaud is more of a W now I think...

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

not comparable, Jonah was a tough guy, physical with decent offensive skill, Mcdonut is a guy who snipes goals and has size

Jonah had 15 goals in 19 games his last season in UTICA I'd be impressed if McDonut scored at that rate in Abby next year. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would say the wonder of the ping pong ball drop is merely a poor comprehension of mathematics. Nothing outside of the norms of random number theory. As far as should be a playoff team goes I wouldn't make that leap. We're currently a bottom feeder who have won a couple hockey games in a row and still remain 8th last. I wouldn't quite plan on the playoffs. Our defence and bottom 6 still need work to compete for a wildcard over 82 games. Not to mention other teams have prospects and cap space to improve their teams where we are looking at possibly losing players just to break even.

The players we are looking at ridding ourselves of, particularly, OEL and Myers won’t be missed that much. The wings are not the problem in Vancouver. Right now, the problem is left D after Hughes, and another centre - preferably one that is strong defensively and on the draw that can supply some offence. They don’t grow on trees, and there really aren’t any in the system that can force themselves into the lineup. We have wingers to spare, but can we turn them into our needs? Left D can probably be found in the system - in two or three years: among Wolanin, Pettersson, Kudryavtsev, Jurmo and Rathbone 

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

The players we are looking at ridding ourselves of, particularly, OEL and Myers won’t be missed that much. The wings are not the problem in Vancouver. Right now, the problem is left D after Hughes, and another centre - preferably one that is strong defensively and on the draw that can supply some offence. They don’t grow on trees, and there really aren’t any in the system that can force themselves into the lineup. We have wingers to spare, but can we turn them into our needs? Left D can probably be found in the system - in two or three years: among Wolanin, Pettersson, Kudryavtsev, Jurmo and Rathbone 

OEL and Myers wouldn't be missed at all but unfortunately not a single other team wants anything to do with OEL. We're stuck with him for at least another 2 years as a buyout now is just totally dumb. Myers will be smarter to move at the TDL unless we're interested in giving up our 2024 first, which would be incredibly dumb. We have lots of wingers but nobody wants Boeser's or Garland's contracts. We definitely need another center. Those LD's you mentioned all have interesting aspects to them but it's also possible none of them are playing in the NHL next year or beyond. Personally I think only Petterson has a 50/50 chance. Wolanin has been decent but he's had a problem sticking everywhere he's been as his defence eventually lets him down. A lot of hopes here but nothing concrete at all. It will be a very difficult off-season for Allvin and company to get the parts we need to improve the team enough to be in the conversation for playoffs..

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Dude… when you meet these guys it is shocking how young they are.

I had a bunch of guys over at my place once, fresh off winning a Stanley Cup.  You kind of forget that in these huge men’s bodies are often barely more than teenagers.  Not only are they actually young, most of them are even young for their ages because their entire lives have been about hockey and having their schedules run for them since junior.  Not worldly at all.

If you want to not feel as old, I was in my mid thirties at the time… and all of the players I am talking about had entire careers since and are now retired.

Thanks. Now i feel even older than before. And I’m not even that old! <_<

image.thumb.jpeg.b8176a801eda7fd3fe8aa6604ba4032f.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

Gaud, he won the hobey baker award. Do not think Aidan is going to win that, then there is the C vs W. Gaud is more of a W now I think...

Hmmm.. Thought Aidan got a better release?? Guess we can't expect much then... Would be nice if he becomes a full time 4th liner...  Still better than Gaud right now who's just a trade filler!! 

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Jonah had 15 goals in 19 games his last season in UTICA I'd be impressed if McDonut scored at that rate in Abby next year. 

Jonah had a whale full.  Mouthful?

A whale of a story?! 

Screw it. I’m too tired to make waves. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neutral said:

44 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Hmmm.. Thought Aidan got a better release?? Guess we can't expect much then... Would be nice if he becomes a full time 4th liner...  Still better than Gaud right now who's just a trade filler!! 

Gaudette is a classic case of a guy who is an offensive star in college but is not quite good enough to play top 6 in the NHL and doesn't have the right kind of game to play in the bottom 6. 

I am not claiming that Aiden is a lock to make it in the NHL. He is no better than 50-50 to be a regular on a good NHL team. But he is a lot more likely to be able to contribute in the bottom 6 than Gaudette was.  He is bigger, stronger, and more defensively responsible. 

I think AIden might be a bit over-hyped but I will be very interested to see how looks in the NHl. Expect him to be in Abby next year though.  

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What convinces you that he will be better next year?  Another offseason of trying to lose weight and get faster?  Is Tocchet going to get more out of him?

I don't have any real evidence. Tocchet said that Boeser is a good listener. He didn't have to say that. I just believe Boeser will change his offseason training though.

13 hours ago, dpn1 said:

The last few games Karlsson has been playing center especially on the pk.  Also, he is better than ok as a scorer.  He is leading all forwards in scoring all in his rookie year in the AHL.  I think he maybe better than some are giving him credit for. B)

Karlsson is such an interesting player. One thing for sure is that Benning is unfairly blamed for the OEL trade when really he should have been blamed for trading away Forsling. That is a painful trade.

Edited by Dazzle