The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames fire head coach Darryl Sutter

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am very aware of him and what he excels at.  but 55 points...that's insane.  It's less than half his production from the year prior and almost half of his production standards over the last 5-6 seasons averaged out.  For the level of contract he received, he and Kadri sure are getting a pass in many aspects

I don't think Flames fans are giving Huberdeau and Kadri a pass.  I can't imagine the words that would come to their mind thinking about Huberdeau-Tkachuk.  But two things can be true at once.  No sane coach would take a 115-point player and force him to play out of position in favour of Lucic.  No one.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Sutter is a fossil from a bygone era.  These guys do NOT know how to deal with today's modern NHL players nor today's modern NHL media and I suspect that is one of the main reasons why the team moved on from him.  His style was accepted in CGY only as long as he was winning.  There are very few of these guys around the NHL anymore doing any 'meaningful' jobs because franchises have simply moved on - kinda like there are pretty much zero 'stand-up' goalies left anywhere in pro-hockey - the game has moved on. 

Today's modern NHL stars are 'entitled elitists' - they've been groomed their entire lives to expect certain things whether they deserve them or not.  In Sutter's generation, NOBODY was given anything, you only got what you earned and he can't reconcile that with today's NHL player whether it's right or wrong it is, 'the way'. 

This article confirms EXACTLY what you're saying @Fanuck :

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/valji-darryl-sutter-out-as-calgary-flames-head-coach-1.1954855

The scary thing is that it's clear Maloney has conceded to the pressure, and is letting the inmates run the asylum.  Once the players/agents are running the show, as it seems is the case in CGY - you likely never come back from that - the next GM/Coach are simply going to be puppets to the players/agents - the precedent in CGY has now been established - you do what the entitled stars and their agents want or you'll be shown the door, regardless of your pedigree.  

It kind of surprises me how little of a backbone Maloney has to simply admit publicly that the players/agents ran a 2x Stanley Cup winning coach out of essentially his own home town.  

I for one can't wait for the S*$T show to keep unraveling there for some time.....

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This franchise had this coming for brining this guy back for another go. Check the last time. Ruined the franchise on and off the ice. So lets bring him back. regardless of what happened a decade ago in LA. 

I'm no Flames fan, far from it but it's a similar situation where the fan suffers because of white collar incompetency.  

As a Canucks fan i love it. This is a huge set back in Calgary. 

There's a lot of problems in Calgary that were there last season but the record they hard last season masked the smell of rot. 

I love it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aqua59 said:

This franchise had this coming for brining this guy back for another go. Check the last time. Ruined the franchise on and off the ice. So lets bring him back. regardless of what happened a decade ago in LA. 

I'm no Flames fan, far from it but it's a similar situation where the fan suffers because of white collar incompetency.  

There's a lot of problems in Calgary that were there last season but the record they hard last season masked the smell of rot. 

I love it!

Not to mention LA locked him out of the dressing room.  Sutter is a cancer in the room and he's proven yet again over the course of this season that he's not capable of acting like a professional; I am truly puzzled as to why allowing him to come back next season was ever an option.  Calgary will be better next year just by getting rid of dirtbags like Sutter and Lucic.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Not to mention LA locked him out of the dressing room.  Sutter is a cancer in the room and he's proven yet again over the course of this season that he's not capable of acting like a professional.  Calgary will be better next year just by getting rid of dirtbags like Sutter and Lucic.

Wasn’t Sutter the coach for the King’s two recent Cups? He’s a farm boy too. What makes him a “dirtbag”? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn’t Sutter the coach for the King’s two recent Cups? He’s a farm boy too. What makes him a “dirtbag”? 

The lack of professionalism when dealing with Calgary's young players, coupled with his own team locking him out of the dressing room.  That doesn't happen with respectable coaches.  Sutter's cattle better remember how to kick backwards.  Keenan also won a Cup but I don't think anyone here is going to try to argue in favour of that waste of oxygen being treated with respect.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I love it!

Sutter should of been fired 20 games before season ended and Calgary might of made the playoffs... .Stii remember Sutter's terrible negative comments about rookie Pelletiers 1st NHL game..

Players must of not liked coming to the ring..I bet some players would not resign if Sutter was coaching next season..Calgary really underachieved under Sutter..

Tortorella, Sutter, Keenan all the same style...Players stop playing for them in short time..These  type of bosses are terrible in any work place..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The lack of professionalism when dealing with Calgary's young players, coupled with his own team locking him out of the dressing room.  That doesn't happen with respectable coaches.  Sutter's cattle better remember how to kick backwards.  Keenan also won a Cup but I don't think anyone here is going to try to argue in favour of that waste of oxygen being treated with respect.

So Sutter isn’t a dirtbag. He’s a curmudgeonly prickly pear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1