The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's true, Petey has really worked on his hitting game over the last couple of years. He is getting stronger, hoping he takes another big step this off season. Maybe he should spend some time with Bieksa, teach him a few things. 

tbh not really keen on Petey dropping the mitts... imagine him breaking a hand or worse... Leave the fighting to the players, who knows how to do it... 

In saying that, yes nothing wrong with learning how to defend himself, should he have to do so...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR inherited alot of bad contracts.  Obviously his job is not going to be easy.  But he didn't come here for a rebuild.  He is strategically changing this team and the roster in a way to make it competitive without having to go through a rebuild.  He is still working his way through the lineup, I expect more changes in the summer.  If not, he will pull the trigger next summer when we have better cap relief with expiring contracts.

Who said he is using picks to move deadweight contracts?  He never said that he would do that, that is only CDC speculation.  Allvin said they are calling teams to see what those prices are.

College free agents have the same chance of making it as a 2nd or later round pick.  How many 2nd or later round picks are actually on the Canucks right now?  Demko?  

So your answer to our long term plan is to trade Petey and Hughes?  Trade them for what, draft picks?  How is that actually going to help us?  Trade your star players and start over again with draft picks.  That makes no sense.  We already have our superstar players, trading them to acquire draft picks to start all over again makes no sense...

I question this, the lack of prospects on the Canucks drafted in the 2nd round or later speaks more to the fact that we simply haven't used our 2nd round picks to draft players most of the time as well as our player development having been an organizational weakness for a while now. 

Our lack of drafting in the players in the 2nd round and our lack of player development reflect more on drafting and development having been organizational weaknesses than the value of actually drafting players in the 2nd round. 

Maybe if we'd used more of our 2nd round picks over the past decade we'd have more players from the 2nd round on the roster. 

As for college free agents, I dunno, that also depends on who you're actually able to reel in. 

We only know part of the equation, we know what we traded to get Hronek, which IMO was fair to slightly overpaid which is fine, the pain is going to come when we find out what assets we will lose in order to re-sign and keep him.  That part I feel is going to be ugly.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I question this, the lack of prospects on the Canucks drafted in the 2nd round or later speaks more to the fact that we simply haven't used our 2nd round picks to draft players most of the time as well as our player development having been an organizational weakness for a while now. 

Our lack of drafting in the players in the 2nd round and our lack of player development reflect more on drafting and development having been organizational weaknesses than the value of actually drafting players in the 2nd round. 

Maybe if we'd used more of our 2nd round picks over the past decade we'd have more players from the 2nd round on the roster. 

As for college free agents, I dunno, that also depends on who you're actually able to reel in. 

I would say that Chris Tanev was a better player than any 2nd round pick we ever drafted over the last 53 years other than Thatcher Demko and Mike Peca.  Akito Hirose also looks better than any 2nd round pick currently in our organization...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR inherited alot of bad contracts.  Obviously his job is not going to be easy.  But he didn't come here for a rebuild.  He is strategically changing this team and the roster in a way to make it competitive without having to go through a rebuild.  He is still working his way through the lineup, I expect more changes in the summer.  If not, he will pull the trigger next summer when we have better cap relief with expiring contracts.

Who said he is using picks to move deadweight contracts?  He never said that he would do that, that is only CDC speculation.  Allvin said they are calling teams to see what those prices are.

College free agents have the same chance of making it as a 2nd or later round pick.  How many 2nd or later round picks are actually on the Canucks right now?  Demko?  

So your answer to our long term plan is to trade Petey and Hughes?  Trade them for what, draft picks?  How is that actually going to help us?  Trade your star players and start over again with draft picks.  That makes no sense.  We already have our superstar players, trading them to acquire draft picks to start all over again makes no sense...

had covid not hit, the contracts would be fine.  People tend to forget that when talking about JB and the deals he signed.........there was zero reason to believe the salary cap was suddenly going to freeze.

Supply and demand fully in effect with the Hronek trade. On any given day Hronek type of players are traded with a first rounder. I think PA had to throw in a second only because good RHDs are rare commodity in the league now. As for how this trade will affect us in near future jury is still out and it is too early to tell it would hurt us or not. I believe if we are fully in playoffs picture by Christmas trade could turn out to be a homerun 

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Happy with it, it partially addressed one of our biggest areas of weakness.

The draft is a crap shoot.

That's a good point, Canucks needed upgrades to the Top 4D right away and that is expensive. At least we know Hronek is a good NHL player. 

Drafting a D could take years to develop properly. I feel like I've been waiting 5 years for Woo to take a step. He'll probably be back with Abbotsford next season. 

Oh wait! It has been 5 years since Woo was drafted (2018). Is he any closer? sheesh

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 2

Hugely depends on how he plays. 

For one thing I went to the Red Wings board and 95% was overjoyed with the return, that's something telling. 

But if he plays like a #2, and we make the playoffs and beyond, then it is a good story. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

And we won’t even be a competitive team for the next 3-4 years. Look at our cap situation. 

If the goal is to make the playoffs and exit the 1st round for the next 4 years, we are no better than Toronto or Edmonton. Making trades to play an extra 4 weeks in April is not progress.

im much more optimistic tbh

minnesota is showing what you can do despite a disastrous cap situation. 12-14m of actual dead cap, and still iced a very good playoff team.

This past year was not an accurate reflection of our team. It was skewed majorly by the absence of Demko, and the inability of any of our goaltenders to provide suitable backup services. 

Our team was/is also very top heavy, with a ton of firepower up front, lack of penalty killers, and a weak Defence. 

In terms of futures, we also had a major absence of good center prospects who could one day be a top-6 two way C. 

Bo + 2nd for Hronek + Raty (what the deal was essentially) goes a LONG way to addressing multiple issues.

We still need a penalty killing 3C now, and a defensive-defenseman for our roster now, but add those two things and we'll be a playoff team next year.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Yzerman stole a 2nd round pick off our desperate PA. 

Can be desperate in a trade it's like shopping when you're hungry. 

I usually buy a bunch of really tasty stuff when I shop hungry. 

• Haha 1

Both PPs will have a good, mobile puck moving Dman. Having Hronek will take a lot of the responsibility off of Hughes, sharing the work.  The Canucks now need some steady, D monsters as partners for #43 and #17. Too bad Schenn wasn't younger and faster.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I am 60/40 still on it as I feel that he was bought at the WORST possible time, that injury is scary as hell and Yzerman has rarely come out on the wrong end of a trade since he started in Tampa.  

Everyone knew Vancouver needed an RHD between 23-26 desperately.  Trading at or just before the TDL ensured the price was the highest it possibly could be.  Without knowing how his shoulder injury is (Vancouver has a horrible history with signing or trading for injured players) and what his next contract will most likely come at.  I also agree I am not happy with this trade at all.  That 1st and 2nd for a team with zero quality assets in the pipes (for the last decade or more) would have been far more beneficial moving forward when this teams core were older vets and they needed youth infusions.

But until we see him play, know if that shoulder is healed and see what his next contract comes in at.  I am hesitant to drop the axe entirely on it.

I don't like it though and most people honestly for those reasons and unknowns should be hesitant as well.  I feel this trade could have been made in a month for a far cheaper cost but....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

So you only see Räty as young and cheap? 
Kravtsov, Hogz, Bloom, Johansson, Hiroso, Petterson and more…

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a good point, Canucks needed upgrades to the Top 4D right away and that is expensive. At least we know Hronek is a good NHL player. 

Drafting a D could take years to develop properly. I feel like I've been waiting 5 years for Woo to take a step. He'll probably be back with Abbotsford next season. 

Oh wait! It has been 5 years since Woo was drafted (2018). Is he any closer? sheesh

Our core (Pettersson, Hughes, Demko), are ready to go NOW. They are entering their prime, we need to take the next step. 

Finding and developing good RD is not as easy as some people think and there's no one who will be available at #11 or later in the draft, who would be ready to start breaking into the NHL before about 2 years time.

If you want to keep these 3 guys years, you have to get them help. Our only REAL area of weakness right now is defense. We needed to address that in the Horvat trade and ultimately through leveraging the assets we got from that trade, we accomplished this.

Good trade! So far, Allvin has been a pretty shrewd trader. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Hugely depends on how he plays. 

For one thing I went to the Red Wings board and 95% was overjoyed with the return, that's something telling. 

But if he plays like a #2, and we make the playoffs and beyond, then it is a good story. 

So not much pressure there Hronek... but agree. Maybe a solid 3-4 would be ok.