The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennings terrible pro scouting and player analysis

Rate this topic

DefCon1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In all fairness to Benning, he and his scouts drafted McCann and Forsling.  He then signed Stecher, Tanev and Chatfield out of college or as free agents.  So the work was done.  For whatever reason, he and his team decided to move on from them.

Lesson to be learned here regardless who the GM is.  Keep these guys in the AHL for as long as you can.  You just never know.  This is why I don't want Hoglander to be traded.  I don't want him to turn into a 25-30 goal scorer with another team.  Even Rathbone I am not inclined to move, if they can keep him as a 7/8 Dman next year and play Hirose in Abby that would be a better situation for now and then re-evaluate after a year...

People here want them moved or as a throw away while not looking at the long term. They could easily be the next Chatfield or Forsling or Lomberg etc. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In all fairness to Benning, he and his scouts drafted McCann and Forsling.  He then signed Stecher, Tanev and Chatfield out of college or as free agents.  So the work was done.  For whatever reason, he and his team decided to move on from them.

Lesson to be learned here regardless who the GM is.  Keep these guys in the AHL for as long as you can.  You just never know.  This is why I don't want Hoglander to be traded.  I don't want him to turn into a 25-30 goal scorer with another team.  Even Rathbone I am not inclined to move, if they can keep him as a 7/8 Dman next year and play Hirose in Abby that would be a better situation for now and then re-evaluate after a year...

So Jim Benning signed Tanev was he was employed by the Boston Bruins?  He was signed in 2010 by Gillis under recommendation by Gagner.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So Jim Benning signed Tanev was he was employed by the Boston Bruins?  He was signed in 2010 by Gillis under recommendation by Gagner.

Yes, he was actually working for the Canucks under the table, knowing he would be our GM soon…   :)

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

To play Devil's advocate, JB acquired all those guys, we just gave up on them early. You could argue none of them were really that good with us - they all developed into solid players on much better teams. We never gave Forsling a chance, but the other guys had a chance here and there and were never amazing. I thought McCann could have done better if we were patient with him but we never were. I never thought much of Chatfield and realistically he's a 6th defenceman so not that big of a loss.

I will argue that JB had good intentions and made moves at the right time to address the team's needs, the problem was exactly scouting - we got the wrong player and they all sucked with us. OEL and LE are the big names that come to mind. The same goes for drafting, watching Tkachuk and Nylander buzzing in the playoffs hurts when they should have been Canucks. That being said, every team makes a mess of their drafting, top 10 picks though are very rarely busts and having two in a couple of years sets us way back - Petey and Hughes outplaying their draft doesn't quite negate Juolevi and Virtanen.

You might call it bad luck but I think it's on our scouts to identify players who will do well in our system, and it seems as though most of the players who left the Canucks did well, and those who were doing well and came here did poorly.

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To play Devil's advocate, JB acquired all those guys, we just gave up on them early. You could argue none of them were really that good with us - they all developed into solid players on much better teams. We never gave Forsling a chance, but the other guys had a chance here and there and were never amazing. I thought McCann could have done better if we were patient with him but we never were. I never thought much of Chatfield and realistically he's a 6th defenceman so not that big of a loss.

I will argue that JB had good intentions and made moves at the right time to address the team's needs, the problem was exactly scouting - we got the wrong player and they all sucked with us. OEL and LE are the big names that come to mind. The same goes for drafting, watching Tkachuk and Nylander buzzing in the playoffs hurts when they should have been Canucks. That being said, every team makes a mess of their drafting, top 10 picks though are very rarely busts and having two in a couple of years sets us way back - Petey and Hughes outplaying their draft doesn't quite negate Juolevi and Virtanen.

You might call it bad luck but I think it's on our scouts to identify players who will do well in our system, and it seems as though most of the players who left the Canucks did well, and those who were doing well and came here did poorly.

With all the L's Benning had during his time with Vancouver you almost have to feel sorry for him. It almost feels like if Benning had a 15 times to guess between heads or tails in a coin flip and he only got it right twice. It's comically sad actually. 

It's like McCann or Virtanen ... flip a coin ... Virtannen ... loss

Forsling or Tryamkin ... flip a coin ... Tryamkin ... loss

Tkachuck or Juolevi ... flip a coin ...Juolevi ... loss

Baertschi or 2nd Round Pick ... flip a coin ... Beartschi ... loss

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1