The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks poking on Pesce

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

And Garland should be an easier move, with cap going up.

Petey top 10 in points,  24 yrs old - will demand at least 11.5 million X 3 or 4 yrs- Cap will be going up and Petey could be worth 13 million next contract.

Hronek 25 RD  RFA - will demand 5.5--6 million X 6 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Petey top 10 in points,  24 yrs old - will demand at least 11.5 million X 3 or 4 yrs- Cap will be going up and Petey could be worth 13 million next contract.

Yup. It would certainly be nice to have a guy like Pesce here, but his cap allocation might be too high. Unless we could move off Myers and Garland. Then it should work. Got to move them first though. 

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

OK. Who do you propose we target for this young, "developing 3C"? 

Curtis Douglas or Aku Raty from Arizona are intriguing targets. Douglas being a 6'9 248lb C. Antti Saarela is another from Chicago, the difficult part with the Hawks is they are clearly still in tank mode so whether they would want to add a player like Beauvillier or Myers to possibly hurt their tank is another story

17 hours ago, Baratheon said:

What seems to be the hang up then?  Moving either of them would certainly help our current cap situation. (Although it does absolutely nothing for next year but that's a whole different can of worms)

Well salary cap does exist this isn't EA NHL hockey. Not to mention movement usually starts AFTER training camp when teams have a better idea where they're at.

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Curtis Douglas or Aku Raty from Arizona are intriguing targets. Douglas being a 6'9 248lb C. Antti Saarela is another from Chicago, the difficult part with the Hawks is they are clearly still in tank mode so whether they would want to add a player like Beauvillier or Myers to possibly hurt their tank is another story

Myers hurting a tank?  He is the tank commander.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. It would certainly be nice to have a guy like Pesce here, but his cap allocation might be too high. Unless we could move off Myers and Garland. Then it should work. Got to move them first though. 

Pesce 29 years old in November and UFA this summer will demand  6 million X 4-- 5 years?? 

Do Canucks want to lock this kind of money into another older player? I say no..

If your locking 6 million into player turning 30 next summer asking for trouble in last few years of contrac...,Please no

Canucks will have prospects ready in 2 years.

Willander  18 - 6'2 RD   2 yrs -- Pettersson 19-  6'3 LD  2 yrs - McWard RD  21- 1--2 years away

Hirose  LD  23 - 1-2 yrs--   Woo. 23 -RD    1- 2 yrs.     -Truscott 6'1  21- Michigan 2 yrs away - - - Brzustewicz 18 - OHL   2-3 yrs --

Jurmo 6'4 -21 -LD  2-3 yrs away---Kudryavtsev 19 -- 2-3 yrs -- OHL

Mynio 18 -  3--4 yrs

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Not sure what my post you quoted has to do with that, but sure.... 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Pesce 29 years old in November and UFA this summer will demand  6 million X 4-- 5 years?? 

Do Canucks want to lock this kind of money into another older player? I say no..

If your locking 6 million into player turning 30 next summer asking for trouble in last few years of contrac...,Please no

Canucks will have prospects ready in 2 years.

Willander  18 - 6'2 RD   2 yrs -- Pettersson 19-  6'3 LD  2 yrs - McWard RD  21- 1--2 years away

Hirose  LD  23 - 1-2 yrs--   Woo. 23 -RD    1- 2 yrs.     -Truscott 6'1  21- Michigan 2 yrs away - - - Brzustewicz 18 - OHL   2-3 yrs --

Jurmo 6'4 -21 -LD  2-3 yrs away---Kudryavtsev 19 -- 2-3 yrs -- OHL

Mynio 18 -  3--4 yrs

I would love 6M x 4 years. That would take him to 33 and pays him for his late prime. Even if he starts to decline it wouldn't be very drastic. My concern would be a 7 year contract which he will probably be looking for.

Most of those guys you listed are LD. Even if Pesce starts to decline slightly in year 3 or 4 he would be an amazing partner for one of those young guys so would still have value. If Willander is ready to make the jump in 2 years he still probably isn't ready to be Hughes' partner. At a minimum we probably need someone who can play with Hughes for 3 years before any of our prospects might be able to handle it.

I'm personally hesitant on going after Pesce because I don't want to be paying more guys into their late 30s. But, if we can actually sign him to only a 4 year contract then please sign me up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would love 6M x 4 years. That would take him to 33 and pays him for his late prime. Even if he starts to decline it wouldn't be very drastic. My concern would be a 7 year contract which he will probably be looking for.

Most of those guys you listed are LD. Even if Pesce starts to decline slightly in year 3 or 4 he would be an amazing partner for one of those young guys so would still have value. If Willander is ready to make the jump in 2 years he still probably isn't ready to be Hughes' partner. At a minimum we probably need someone who can play with Hughes for 3 years before any of our prospects might be able to handle it.

I'm personally hesitant on going after Pesce because I don't want to be paying more guys into their late 30s. But, if we can actually sign him to only a 4 year contract then please sign me up.

Even at 5 or maybe even 6 years, Willander improving and on an ELC/bridge deal will cover any eventual, possible inefficiencies on Pesce.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying. Pesce is the perfect 4-5 year stop gap for Willander to develop properly. Nice to see others are sharing the same sentiments. 

• Cheers 3

To Car: beau, Myers, podz, 1st pick 2024 (unprotected) 

to van: Pesce, teravainen 

money is about the same, and ONLY trading a first if we are on the cusp of the playoffs 

sign Pesce to a 6.5m/7yr deal…he’ll be looking at severson/graves type money 

then sign bear to a 1yr/1m in Dec 

Kuzmenko-pettersson-mikheyev

teravainen-Miller-boeser 

pearson-suter-garland 

joshua-blueger-hoglander 

hughes-Pesce 

soucy-hronek 

cole-bear 

demko 

Always Sunny Charlie GIF

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, billabong said:

To Car: beau, Myers, podz, 1st pick 2024 (unprotected) 

to van: Pesce, teravainen 

money is about the same, and ONLY trading a first if we are on the cusp of the playoffs 

sign Pesce to a 6.5m/7yr deal…he’ll be looking at severson/graves type money 

then sign bear to a 1yr/1m in Dec 

Kuzmenko-pettersson-mikheyev

teravainen-Miller-boeser 

pearson-suter-garland 

joshua-blueger-hoglander 

hughes-Pesce 

soucy-hronek 

cole-bear 

demko 

Always Sunny Charlie GIF

Keep beau and swap garland into the trade for long term cap benefits and then I’m cool with this 

great proposal 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

That seems to completely contradict the market. Why hasn't it been done then?

SALARY CAP and bonus structure. Not sure why some of you grossly underrate player value. No salary cap and 20+ teams are interested in Myers. He is a legit NHL regular dman :picard:

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

SALARY CAP and bonus structure. Not sure why some of you grossly underrate player value. No salary cap and 20+ teams are interested in Myers. He is a legit NHL regular dman :picard:

I don't see a 3rd line winger fetching a 3rd line center. Personally. Myers is a 3rd pair d-man. Not sure he fetches a 3rd line center either. But I guess maybe someone with enough center depth and a need to contend now might throw a prospect with 3C potential at us for Beauvillier. But we'd be pretty much picking up another Studnicka. A 3C long shot prospect that is closer to waiver bait than being a legit 3C.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I don't see a 3rd line winger fetching a 3rd line center. Personally. Myers is a 3rd pair d-man. Not sure he fetches a 3rd line center either. But I guess maybe someone with enough center depth and a need to contend now might throw a prospect with 3C potential at us for Beauvillier. But we'd be pretty much picking up another Studnicka. A 3C long shot prospect that is closer to waiver bait than being a legit 3C.

I mean if you collect enough "Studnickas", hopefully one of them turns in to something. But that player is not likely going to replace an aging, declining Miller in 3-4+ years. Raty might (or at least be a decent 2nd/3rd line "tandem" with a declining Miller).