The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Pius Suter

18 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I love when a NON NHL player says an NHL Player is "not that good". 

I think Bear would be a fine 'cheap' depth blueliner for at least a couple years. I hope we sign him when he is ready to come back to the ice on a cheap 2 year deal: half as cheap in year one, as he will only be on the cap for half the season, and then reliable and cheap in year two. But I like him and he is as good as any other 6th/7th dman we have or could get. 

I think they will sign Bear to a show me contract when he's recovered from his injury.  If they can move Myers, he would

be a good replacement on the right side.   I think this lineup allows Quinn to have less toi, when needed.

Hughes   Cole

Soucy   Hronik

Irwin     Bear

Brise    Julssen

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure Petey will be killing penalties.  Miller will be taken off for sure.  I can see Petey with Suter and Suter would take the faceoffs.  Blueger and Mikheyev should be the #1 unit.  

Im sure we will have a few configurations. Miller and Petey both will probably kill penalties at times.

Depending on minutes, game flow, if they haven't been on the ice.

The fact we have viable PK personal and options is huge for our squad.

There will be no excuse to be anything less than Mediocre on the PK this season.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

I am almost certain Garland and Myers are moved before opening night.

Yes I agree I think Myers will be trade after his 5 million bonus is paid Sept 2.. New team will have 1 million to pay with cap hit of 6 million.. I think Coyotes, Anaheim or Chicago will be trading for Myers.. 

Myers would also be a good trade chip at trade deadline big 6'7 RD would be great for a contender on playoff run..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Im sure we will have a few configurations. Miller and Petey both will probably kill penalties at times.

Depending on minutes, game flow, if they haven't been on the ice.

The fact we have viable PK personal and options is huge for our squad.

There will be no excuse to be anything less than Mediocre on the PK this season.

And the fact that Petey and Miller led the league in short-handed goals could come into play.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

And the fact that Petey and Miller led the league in short-handed goals could come into play.

For sure there could be certain situations where they throw them out together down a goal with Hughes or Petey with Mikehyev and Miller with Blueger or Suter etc. Lots of combos / options to work with. Its exciting.

I am sue when Hansen comes back to the radio hes gonna be a lot happier with our PK personnel 

• Cheers 3

I wasn't really buying into the Myers to SJ after bonus paid rumours before but since we keep adding and all reports indicate Pearson is going to be ready for camp, I am starting to believe that they have a handshake deal and will be making that move. I would be happy with Myers on the third pairing but if Pearson is ready to go and we aren't having to move out an asset of significance with Myers than I am ok with it assuming we would than sign Bear and run with Juulsen in the spot until Bear is healthy...or we swing for the fences and trade for Pesce. I would rather not trade away Boeser or Garland for the sake of cap space as I think with our forward group, they add a fair amount of value. Boeser will be improved (and actually had decent per game numbers last year) and Garland gives us 3 scoring lines playing with Suter and Podz which is needed in this NHL.

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Says right there with the LTIR that they will be 700K under the Cap

Not to mention another contract needs to be sent down once Mikheyev is added to the active roster, giving us at least $1.46m in total space.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Cheers 3

So in my opinion we're very much a playoff team now

Beau-Petey-Kuz

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Suter-Hoglander (deceptively good 3rd line)

Joshua-Blueger-Studnicka

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

Demko

Martin

Some concerns with Martin but if we give him easy competition it should be ok, plus, the team in front of him is a LOT better than last year defensively

Its worth noting that they revamped literally the entire roster and the cost to do all of this was uh.. Bo Horvat. We traded Bo Horvat, used the pieces from the trade to get Hronek, and the rest was built through free agency.

We kept all our own futures which is absolutely wild. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

21 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

A gun rack? What’s he going to do with a gun rack? He doesn’t even own A gun, let alone many that would necessitate the need for a gun rack.

You know, Citizen, if you're not careful, you're gonna lose me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

A gun rack? What’s he going to do with a gun rack? He doesn’t even own A gun, let alone many that would necessitate the need for a gun rack.

Not sure how to answer that. It definitely looks like the old school gun rack, for hunting rifles. Back in the day, before guns safes were common, those wall hung racks were very common with hunting households. You stored the rifles on the rack, ammo in the drawer. It was a different time for sure. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Who knows when he'll be ready. He'll be out of shape and coming off surgery.

Let some other team deal with the unknown of Bear. He's not ideal for Hughes and he's not that good. League minimum as depth but I hope we have a better plan for our 1RD.

Yeah, I could see a conditioning stint in Abbotsford if he did come back. I see him better than just depth, but not the top 4 some were coining him as being, nor is he what this team truly needs. But depending on the cap requirements, he still may be a viable option when healed, and should be able to step in without the trying out period you can get from looking outside the org. 

Ultimately, Allvin needs to get Huggy his 1b. TDL or next offseason is fine, but it must happen for this team to be fully deadly. It's really the last piece, from what I can see.

I'm really glad (and a little surprised due to cap issues) we added Suter. I wasn't comfortable with what we had, and I'm sorry, but I'm not sold on Aman whatsoever. Can't say he adds the size this team could use, but he does have some skills.

Dunno guys. This is shaping up to be a pretty properly built team. Funny enough, most of the base was Bennings work. And for all his faults, he will never get that credit.

• Cheers 3