The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, Disgruntler said:

There was one point where he turned on his yets in the O zone that looked like a rocket. Jaw actually dropped. He has all the tools.

That Sutter pass was not an easy one to get to. Virtanen blew by one of the best defenseman in the league and sent him flying into the boards in desperation.

Virtanen finished on what turned out to be one of his best.

• Like 1

On 2018-10-06 at 10:32 AM, HomeBrew said:

I think Virtanen’s game will take off once the defense can hit him in full flight with stretch passes on a consistent basis. That probably won’t happen until Joulevi and Hughes are on the team next year.

I know we have major issues on defense currently as not many of our guys can hit that outlet tape-to-tape pass or make a move with the puck to open up those passing lanes, but next year if both Juolevi and Hughes take the next step our defense group will be very different.

Edler can make that pass consistently. Tanev isn't so bad at it too. Gudbranson can make the short pass if it's open, same with Stecher but he can at least make a few moves with the puck to open up the passing lane. Adding in Juolevi and Hughes will give our back end one player on each pairing that can hit that pass consistently.

Just have to make sure we have the supporting cast to help Juolevi and Hughes...

Back to Virtanen, I think he's looked good so far. The only gripes I have with him is that he could be a tad bit more aggressive and use his size, speed, and strength to take the puck to the net. His first goal this season was classic Jake Virtanen; use his footspeed to get separation, use his body to protect the puck, and his hands in close to score the goal. IMO he's best when he's on the rush and takes the puck to the net or makes a move to get into a scoring position in the slot. Offensively, he's got to do more of that and less slap shots or wrist shots along while he's skating down the half wall.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

One of the better players on either team in the game last night and clearly Green is very confident with him in key situations.   

Loved how Green put Jake on the ice to finish out the game when Tampa pulled their goalie. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

After the initial cluster f@#$ of starting Jake at 18 in the nhl.  Benning and Green regrouped and started building him from the foundation.  At this point it is looking like they know what they're doing. 

Benning sending him down and Green coaching him well in Utica has saved his career.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Saved? Maybe. Maybe he was going to learn anyway, but probably better without rushing. ;)

I think if he had stayed in the NHL, he would be worse than he is currently and would have no defined role. I think he'd be about as good as Jordan Schroeder.