The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Sometimes I think some are confusing what side guys are most effective on and just what side they play.

LD: Edler, Hughes, Benn.   RD: Myers, Tanev, Stetcher.  Benn is flexible and can play both sides but he is the only one I would use this way (for this year anyway).

If and when The Tryan man will need to play on his strong side LD in the NHL.  Nik is not far enough along to confuse things by putting him on the right side.  I think sometimes Nik is over rated on this thread.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him over here but he is still developing and has spent the last 2 years in the KHL not the NHL.

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Sometimes I think some are confusing what side guys are most effective on and just what side they play.

LD: Edler, Hughes, Benn.   RD: Myers, Tanev, Stetcher.  Benn is flexible and can play both sides but he is the only one I would use this way (for this year anyway).

If and when The Tryan man will need to play on his strong side LD in the NHL.  Nik is not far enough along to confuse things by putting him on the right side.  I think sometimes Nik is over rated on this thread.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him over here but he is still developing and has spent the last 2 years in the KHL not the NHL.

Tryamkin has played predominately on the right side FWIW. I don't think it would 'confuse' him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Apparently Hughes and Tryamkin have played on the right side, but not at the amount of time and/or level like Benn has.

Travis Green has shown in the past that he wants his players to play on their dominant side, so I'm not seeing any changes in the near future. I certainly don't think he would do it with a rookie like Hughes.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Apparently Hughes and Tryamkin have played on the right side, but not at the amount of time and/or level like Benn has.

Travis Green has shown in the past that he wants his players to play on their dominant side, so I'm not seeing any changes in the near future. I certainly don't think he would do it with a rookie like Hughes.

It is surprising that Tryamkin can play his off side. Usually taller dmen struggle with this (Myers, Edler for example are horrible). Hughes I could see being equally as effective as 1. he is small so requires less turning 2. His edgework and puck control is fantastic so he could easily pick the puck up off his wrong side and 3. He carries the puck a lot

I HATE playing my off side defensively. Mind you I am a garbage hockey player but at the speed and skill level of the NHL I can imagine that it would relatively be as difficult if not more 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

It is surprising that Tryamkin can play his off side. Usually taller dmen struggle with this (Myers, Edler for example are horrible). Hughes I could see being equally as effective as 1. he is small so requires less turning 2. His edgework and puck control is fantastic so he could easily pick the puck up off his wrong side and 3. He carries the puck a lot

I HATE playing my off side defensively. Mind you I am a garbage hockey player but at the speed and skill level of the NHL I can imagine that it would relatively be as difficult if not more 

Again.  Great players can play anywhere.  USSR 70’s team had all lefties except Tretiak.  Federov played D for the wings when injuries happened, and was their best D man laying the wrong side.  Tryamkin is a fabulous skater, and has good hands.  He is smart too.  Hughes could play anywhere 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again.  Great players can play anywhere.  USSR 70’s team had all lefties except Tretiak.  Federov played D for the wings when injuries happened, and was their best D man laying the wrong side.  Tryamkin is a fabulous skater, and has good hands.  He is smart too.  Hughes could play anywhere 

I am a big fan of Tryamkin but he isn't a great player in the NHL. He is a solid #6 with upside. But if he can that is awesome! Just saying I have a difficult time imagining him comfortable on the right side compared to Hughes. 

• Like 1

Do we have room for the Try man now....

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn/Juolevi - Tanev

That's 7 guys...if we carry 8 D. then Fantenberg draws in...Oli makes the team as soon as the first D. man gets injured...in training camp....or the weight room just before camp starts...

By mid season Oli will be pulling Hutton's minutes...making room would have to involve trading one of Tanev or Stecher...here's hoping they start the season in good health and are tradable  if we need to.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Do we have room for the Try man now....

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn/Juolevi - Tanev

That's 7 guys...if we carry 8 D. then Fantenberg draws in...Oli makes the team as soon as the first D. man gets injured...in training camp....or the weight room just before camp starts...

By mid season Oli will be pulling Hutton's minutes...making room would have to involve trading one of Tanev or Stecher...here's hoping they start the season in good health and are tradable  if we need to.

Tanev expires this year and from what I hear, will not likely be back. One way or the other (walking as UFA, trade, injury etc) he's not likely going to be here all of/past this year.

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think he is very overrated by this forum.  I think he is a promising prospect, but some people want to just slot him in over some of our other guys in the top 4 who have earned the job.  He left the team a couple years ago by his own choice, and if he wants to play again in the NHL he has to earn his spot at training camp like everyone else.  In his 1st season he came to training camp out of shape, was demoted to the AHL for conditioning, and then there were apparent entitlement issues throughout his time here.  Did Willie contribute to this through poor coaching?  Probably.  But it wasn't 100% Willie's fault either. 

Green has established that no one is going to be gifted a spot on this roster, and he isn't afraid to park someone on the bench or in the minors if they aren't playing the way he wants.  Tryamkin has a lot to prove still, but he is an intriguing prospect and there aren't many like him with that kind of size and strength that can still get around the ice effectively in the NHL.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I think he is very overrated by this forum.  I think he is a promising prospect, but some people want to just slot him in over some of our other guys in the top 4 who have earned the job.  He left the team a couple years ago by his own choice, and if he wants to play again in the NHL he has to earn his spot at training camp like everyone else.  In his 1st season he came to training camp out of shape, was demoted to the AHL for conditioning, and then there were apparent entitlement issues throughout his time here.  Did Willie contribute to this through poor coaching?  Probably.  But it wasn't 100% Willie's fault either. 

Green has established that no one is going to be gifted a spot on this roster, and he isn't afraid to park someone on the bench or in the minors if they aren't playing the way he wants.  Tryamkin has a lot to prove still, but he is an intriguing prospect and there aren't many like him with that kind of size and strength that can still get around the ice effectively in the NHL.

I think you are right on but he wouldn't go to the AHL so he sat in the press box until he was in shape.  I think Willie didn't play him for the first 4 or 6 weeks.  Never thought I would ever agree with Willie. ::D

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think you are right on but he wouldn't go to the AHL so he sat in the press box until he was in shape.  I think Willie didn't play him for the first 4 or 6 weeks.  Never thought I would ever agree with Willie. ::D

Right, forgot that minor detail.  I recall that they wanted to send him to the AHL for a quick conditioning stint but he wouldn't agree to it.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Right, forgot that minor detail.  I recall that they wanted to send him to the AHL for a quick conditioning stint but he wouldn't agree to it.

It wasn’t in his contract.

He didn’t have to go..

and it will still be in his contract.

Edited by SilentSam

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It wasn’t in his contract.

He didn’t have to go..

and it will still be in his contract.

I'm sure it was also in his contract that he would show up to Vancouver in shape ready to play hockey.  

My point is it shows a sense of entitlement which is not a good sign in a young prospect.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Agreed. Tryamkin is over rated constantly on this thread. He is gonna be 25 years old very soon and 26 before he even gets back here IF he even comes back next year. That is peak age for an NHLer.

He is no longer developing in all likelihood. He is what he is at this point.

I would still like him to join the Canucks but he would be a big 3rd pairing D man. We could use the size, strength and physicality even if it was only on the 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn/Juolevi - Tanev

:lol:

That line up is hillarious.  Stecher is a 3rd pairing d man. No more. He won't play 1st pairing with Edler.  :picard:

Regardless of the quote in my signature.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 hours ago, The Sedge said:

He said no to the AHL likely because his wife was having trouble being alone in Vancouver.  He was on the road enough, but going to Utica would mean he was away for an extra couple weeks.  Our coach and management messed this up a lot.  They should have had someone watching out for his wife, who spoke Russian.  

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Fair enough, but he did move a rookie RW who needed sheltered minutes in a limited role to top line C within moments of arriving