The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Tryamkin I think knows there will be an adaptation period to settle into his role. But he also follows our games I am pretty sure. And I think he sees where he can add like with heavy teams.He can match up well with big forwards and neutralize  attacks of bigger forwards giving time and space for Hughes to work his magic, and also for our forwards to come claim the puck on the back check.

His confidence dealing with bigger players will have a calming effect on our defensive coverage and slow down the big 5 -7 goal games against us.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think that's what management plans to do. A LOT is going to depend on Tanev's appetite to stay here... And for how much/long?

I think its still possible for Tryamkin to be in the lineup even with Tanev coming back. The bubble guys right now are Fantenberg, Stetcher and Benn. Benn, name recognition, experience, and his fairly decent salary is tradeable. Fantenberg is just a spare part so hes expendable.

With Stetch,this year he hasnt been noticeable in a bad or good way, but its just hes an RFA, if qualified, due for a raise and if I was in Stetchers camp, Id say hes a legit NHLer that deserves something with more term, 2-4 years, Im not sure if management is going to go that route. A player like Stetcher can be found in UFA pool, waivers etc, 5'8 Dmen that can move the puck with little to no offence, thats easily available. A guy thats 6'7 that can move the puck, let alone being physically imposing, thats another story even if he would have deficiencies defensively from coming from the K or just inexperience.Fact is, you can teach that, you can't teach anybody to grow taller. Thats what Tryamkin brings. Its the upside.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I want to see this team have role players on d. Guys who have a specific purpose but always maintain decent defensive acumen.

Hughes: Drive play. Get points.

Tanev: Shut down top lines. Support your partner who can score more.

Tryamkin's role relies almost exclusively on his size and aggressive play. Play well defensively (in whatever style that works), but clear the crease and crash and bang. That's what he does, and does often. If not, there is really little reason to have him on the team.

I think if you have role players who can play well defensively, it allows you to not rely on them being great in all areas but the coach can deploy them according to the play. Got a pp? Hughes goes out. Got big opposition forwards? Get Tryamkin out. Obviously, line matchups are what coaches do but when you have guys like Benn and Stecher (who are decent players) they are just... sort of... "there". They aren't your #1 go-to in any particular situation.

This is why in particular I would be happy to have Tryamkin back over those two guys. He fills a role.

I think Tryamkin wants the Tanev type role, which is the role he's currently playing in the KHL. Willie D tried to make him be more aggressive, but that didn't bode well for Nikita. Maybe it was the way it was told of him to do so, who knows.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

I think its still possible for Tryamkin to be in the lineup even with Tanev coming back. The bubble guys right now are Fantenberg, Stetcher and Benn. Benn, name recognition, experience, and his fairly decent salary is tradeable. Fantenberg is just a spare part so hes expendable.

With Stetch,this year he hasnt been noticeable in a bad or good way, but its just hes an RFA, if qualified, due for a raise and if I was in Stetchers camp, Id say hes a legit NHLer that deserves something with more term, 2-4 years, Im not sure if management is going to go that route. A player like Stetcher can be found in UFA pool, waivers etc, 5'8 Dmen that can move the puck with little to no offence, thats easily available. A guy thats 6'7 that can move the puck, let alone being physically imposing, thats another story even if he would have deficiencies defensively from coming from the K or just inexperience.Fact is, you can teach that, you can't teach anybody to grow taller. Thats what Tryamkin brings. Its the upside.

If the Canuck goaltending was not delivering the way it has the conversation would be much different. IMHO the goaltending has made the d-core look better than it is. Often there is a fire drill in the d-zone with opposing teams having sustained puck possession time. 

While the status quo would be OK for playoffs this season it is not a CUP serious group. Playoffs this year would be valuable experience it is not the important period in the timeline. 3 years out is the target. At that point I do not see Stecher, Benn or Fantenberg on the team. On the bubble is Edler and Tanev. I like both of these vets and think both could still play it is about age and durability and CAP cost. Vancouver is on the rise and Benning will find lots of players who will want to join this young group for a CUP shot.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If the Canuck goaltending was not delivering the way it has the conversation would be much different. IMHO the goaltending has made the d-core look better than it is. Often there is a fire drill in the d-zone with opposing teams having sustained puck possession time. 

While the status quo would be OK for playoffs this season it is not a CUP serious group. Playoffs this year would be valuable experience it is not the important period in the timeline. 3 years out is the target. At that point I do not see Stecher, Benn or Fantenberg on the team. On the bubble is Edler and Tanev. I like both of these vets and think both could still play it is about age and durability and CAP cost. Vancouver is on the rise and Benning will find lots of players who will want to join this young group for a CUP shot.   

Have you watched the leafs this year that's a fire zone

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Our goaltending is over rated our d under rated

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

Not ideal but could see running with both Benn and Fantenberg in the lineup post-TDL as we wait for Tryamkin to return, if we were to move Stecher.  Brisebois and Sautner are capable and proven fill-ins should there be injuries in the meantime.  Get the feeling Benning will try to re-sign Tanev, but depends of course if he wants to stay or test UFA.

I like what he brings as a player, and am intrigued at the idea of Ferland & Tryamkin joining the team for a playoff run.  If Try doesn’t fit into the current team - I would think he’s a valuable trade asset. His agent’s language about being able to play on ‘any NHL team,’ may be hinting at exactly that.

2 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

Don't think our goaltending is bad just that my fellow Canucks fans over rate avarage goaltending

The initial stats support your claim. But if you consider the -quality- of shots (also stat supported) our goaltending is pretty darn good. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel he could surpass Tanev but it would take time to adjust to the elite league that is the NHL.

I think that that within, or after 1 complete season in the NHL Tryamkin will be a top 2 pairing D man on this team.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I like what he brings as a player, and am intrigued at the idea of Ferland & Tryamkin joining the team for a playoff run.  If Try doesn’t fit into the current team - I would think he’s a valuable trade asset. His agent’s language about being able to play on ‘any NHL team,’ may be hinting at exactly that.

I think his agent was making* the point that NT is NHL ready..   his rights are ours for 1 or 2 more seasons regardless.

i don’t see that comment as a point to go elsewhere or a threat.

Tryamkin will bring a catalyst to the D core not unlike what Tyler Motte brings to the F core..

balanced strength and chemistry will flow through all other D pairings with a player like Nik in.

Just to note:   I think Joulevi will replace Tanev either before the TDL or next season.

and if Ferland gets back FULL ON soon , and add an arrival of Tryamkin to our team this season..  

its going to be a great playoff season for us.   A learned one in the least.

Edited by SilentSam

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think his agent was making* the point that NT is NHL ready..   his rights are ours for 1 or 2 more seasons regardless.

i don’t see that comment as a point to go elsewhere or a threat.

Tryamkin will bring a catalyst to the D core not unlike what Tyler Motte brings to the F core..

balanced strength and chemistry will flow through all other D pairings with a player like Nik in.

Just to note:   I think Joulevi will replace Tanev either before the TDL or next season.

and if Ferland gets back FULL ON soon , and add an arrival of Tryamkin to our team this season..  

its going to be a great playoff season for us.   A learned one in the least.

If Tryamkin is serious about coming over we can either trade/waive Benn Or fantenberg. 

Olli is a left handed D. Next year he might get called up and split time and either he or Tryamkin If they are both around will get more responsibility once Edler leaves/retires/plays a reduced role 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think that that within, or after 1 complete season in the NHL Tryamkin will be a top 2 pairing D man on this team.

That may be wishful thinking. 

I feel that there’s a better chance he doesn’t pan out than become a top 2 D. 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think he’s already shown he can play in this league even if it was a small sample size.

The question is can he be more than 6th/7th guy (on a good team) and will he be happy with that role or will he head back to Russia again.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He was already a solid 3rd pairing D in his rookie season as a 21 he old with 60 GP.

im sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised JD ;)