The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Tanev is proven, whereas Tryamkin isn't not quite as established.  

That being said, if you want a player to clear the front of the net or to pin someone along the boards, Tryamkin is the better option.

Nikita does have that "x-factor", simply due to his size and unorthodox style of play.  I remember when he was defending a 2-on-1... and instead of staying in the middle in an attempt to stop the pass... he just stopped and went at the puck carrier... and the guy with the puck just flinched and for a split moment seemed confused.  Weird... but it broke up the play.  

What I noticed when Tryamkin was with us as a 21 year old ..

He doesn’t track an opponent like Tanev does it a cycle,  he simple shuts them down.

He doesn’t play with stick checks in his own crease area,.  He simply puts his body where he wants with an opponent and easily leveraged them out of position..

He rarely turns away on his gap coverage after an opponent makes a pass,  he follows through to take the passer out of the return play the passer is trying to make.

im not into analytics.. but for his rookie year as a 21 year old ,  I think his shutdown game was pretty good.

He was a “hits” leader on this team.

so if there are comparisons to Tanev,

let’s include the age difference, the physical play, and the “Ironman” aspect as well.

ps. Tryamkins shot was recently clocked at 101 mph.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

He doesn’t track an opponent like Tanev does it a cycle,  he simple shuts them down.

He doesn’t play with stick checks in his own crease area,.  He simply puts his body where he wants with an opponent and easily leveraged them out of position..

He rarely turns away on his gap coverage after an opponent makes a pass,  he follows through to take the passer out of the return play the passer is trying to make.

im not into analytics.. but for his rookie year as a 21 year old ,  I think his shutdown game was pretty good.

let’s include the age difference, the physical play, and the “Ironman” aspect.

thats an interesting observation. What I remember most about Nik was he was still a bit nervous and tentative. I suspect now that he's 3 years older, married, and coming back to a league he knows better now that will disappear. I do like the mobility I see on the highlight clips people post in here too. 

I don't know how Green will want to use him so we'll have to wait and see but there's a lot to be excited about. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

let’s include the age difference, the physical play, and the “Ironman” aspect.

Maybe Petey can take him weight training when he gets here? :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Weaker than EP, what a dud.

I think that's actually pretty good for a wrist shot lol. I remember when he was here that his passes were often harder than many players slap shots. Takes a fairly high skill level just to be able to receive them cleanly.

• Cheers 1

watched half the game today Avto lost 3-2 to AKB and also lost their goal tender Kovar who left on a stretcher? 

Tryamkin with spirited play. Looked good with a couple hits, separating guys from the puck. Won a couple nice board battles and came out with the puck. Nice sweet passing today.One lollipop pass over everyones heads blueline to blueline right onto his guys stick. Very nice first passes today.

Again good on the number 1 pk

Cleared the crease well. Drew a penalty because he was taking time for his pass. ie using his size the small forward just tugged hard on his left skate.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, theo5789 said:

I think the family issues were the reason why he was adamant about going to Yekaterinburg. I think this time with the possibility of him moving again that him and his wife are more ready for the challenge of a move wherever they may end up. If they're willing to move to a "new" country, surely a new city in their own country wouldn't be a reach. Maybe he wouldn't get as much money as he would here, but he gets to stay in a country where his wife is more comfortable (language and all that) and try to squeeze more money in a offer for a player coveted by the NHL.

All signs seem to point an eventual return and I'm really hoping he does. But I'm also trying to set myself up in case he doesn't and not be too upset about it. Whatever decision he makes, I wish him the best.

Oh sure, but he definitely added on a few things as he left that he didn't need to. At any rate, the talk sounds positive that he wants to play in the NHL again.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think that's what management plans to do. A LOT is going to depend on Tanev's appetite to stay here... And for how much/long?

Yeah. With Edler's contract up the next season they might be okay signing him longer term.

And if we managed to move two of Sutter/Baer/Eriksson out. Maybe Eriksson retires. Cap will be a bit too tight to re-sign Tanev if none if them is moved.

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Tryamkin has had 3 seasons to think about his first run through the NHL. I think he learned a lot, ie the stuff after the whistle, face washes, clearing the crease after the whistle if they are to close to the goalie, knocking guys over when heading to the bench, Crashing the melee and grabbing someone if there's trouble. All common sense stuff for NA players. Also he knows that if he rocks someone with a legal hit that the play is not over after the whistle, other players will come at him for revenge or try to push him down. He knows now to be able to protect yourself at all times. That cheap stuff is always at risk happening after the whistle. Good thing Try is able to protect himself.

I think the edgier part of the NHL  is part of the mental game Tryamkin will be better prepared fpr when he comes back. But now with a way better team and more back up than last time.

He had said he was confused and not fond of all the extra-curricular stuff that goes on, especially when he had to fight Benn after hitting him clean.  Perhaps from knowing the game now and maturity, he's better-prepared to deal with it.  And in reality, if/when he establishes himself and his reputation, he won't need to do much of that stuff because most people won't want to mess with him.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

He had said he was confused and not fond of all the extra-curricular stuff that goes on, especially when he had to fight Benn after hitting him clean.  Perhaps from knowing the game now and maturity, he's better-prepared to deal with it.  And in reality, if/when he establishes himself and his reputation, he won't need to do much of that stuff because most people won't want to mess with him.

Considering he has the size, strength and reach to be able to grab a heavyweight by the throat and use their head for a speed bag, I don't think he will need to fight very often.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. With Edler's contract up the next season they might be okay signing him longer term.

And if we managed to move two of Sutter/Baer/Eriksson out. Maybe Eriksson retires. Cap will be a bit too tight to re-sign Tanev if none if them is moved.

I'd imagine Edler probably re-signs on shorter/one year deals until he retires anyway but yeah, I'd be wary of signing 'lucky to play 60 games and on the wrong side of 30 Tanev' to much over 4 years myself...

On 1/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

If Tanev, like Edler, was hurt for an extended time we would really feel it. I feel that Tryamkin wouldn't be able to replace what Tanev brings right away. It's hard for some players to step in right away and make that sort of impact, there's an adjusting period.

I would personally like to keep Tanev and have Tryamkin here. It would give Green a 3rd pairing he can play more than 15 minutes a game, taking the load off our top 4 which would make them all play better and fresher. On top of this it would give Tryamkin the time he needs to adjust, though personally I don't see him needing much more than a year.

It would give us some pretty ganrly D-depth that season too. 

I agree with your assessment re Tanev vs Tryamkin, but (big little word there) Tryamkin brings that Tanev does not, is a very physical rambunctious nature (for instance his taking on Dallas).

Or this vs the Ducks

• Like 1

I want to see this team have role players on d. Guys who have a specific purpose but always maintain decent defensive acumen.

Hughes: Drive play. Get points.

Tanev: Shut down top lines. Support your partner who can score more.

Tryamkin's role relies almost exclusively on his size and aggressive play. Play well defensively (in whatever style that works), but clear the crease and crash and bang. That's what he does, and does often. If not, there is really little reason to have him on the team.

I think if you have role players who can play well defensively, it allows you to not rely on them being great in all areas but the coach can deploy them according to the play. Got a pp? Hughes goes out. Got big opposition forwards? Get Tryamkin out. Obviously, line matchups are what coaches do but when you have guys like Benn and Stecher (who are decent players) they are just... sort of... "there". They aren't your #1 go-to in any particular situation.

This is why in particular I would be happy to have Tryamkin back over those two guys. He fills a role.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I agree with your assessment re Tanev vs Tryamkin, but (big little word there) Tryamkin brings that Tanev does not, is a very physical rambunctious nature (for instance his taking on Dallas).

Or this vs the Ducks

I feel he could surpass Tanev but it would take time to adjust to the elite league that is the NHL.

• Cheers 1