The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I doubt he is on the same level defensively as Tanev.

I would prefer he be the Stecher replacement. The whole D is better then. I am one of the fans that wants JB to get an extension done with Tanev. He has been awesome with Hughes.  Why let him go unless we have a young stud on an ELC to fill his spot, and we don't yet.

Edler  Tryamkin

Hughes Tanev

Fantenberg  Myers

Raffferty

Tanev is proven, whereas Tryamkin isn't not quite as established.  

That being said, if you want a player to clear the front of the net or to pin someone along the boards, Tryamkin is the better option.

Nikita does have that "x-factor", simply due to his size and unorthodox style of play.  I remember when he was defending a 2-on-1... and instead of staying in the middle in an attempt to stop the pass... he just stopped and went at the puck carrier... and the guy with the puck just flinched and for a split moment seemed confused.  Weird... but it broke up the play.  

• Haha 1

If Tanev is asking too much I just don't see him coming back, but I'm sure we would all say, he's earned it and good for him. Then Stecher and Benn are also going to be players who may move on or be traded, and will be replaced by Tryamkin, Rafferty, perhaps OJ at some point or others. It's just the nature of the game. It could come down to the offers JB gets for Tanev as the deadline approaches and what other moves he can make, it will have to be good for him to make that move.

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Tanev is proven, whereas Tryamkin isn't not quite as established.  

That being said, if you want a player to clear the front of the net or to pin someone along the boards, Tryamkin is the better option.

Nikita does have that "x-factor", simply due to his size and unorthodox style of play.  I remember when he was defending a 2-on-1... and instead of staying in the middle in an attempt to stop the pass... he just stopped and went at the puck carrier... and the guy with the puck just flinched and for a split moment seemed confused.  Weird... but it broke up the play.  

I am a very big fan of Tryamkin and his potential, but Tanev is one heckuva good defensive D. For me, the big issue with Tanev, is can he stay healthy, not can he play a key role for us. If I was to target a spot for Tryamkin, it would be 3rd pairing left D (Fantenburg or Benn), or 3rd pairing right D (Stetcher). I believe Tryamkin has the ability to play further up the lineup - ultimately, but that is to be seen. Another player that we may want to work into the lineup is Rafferty, and another who next year may earn a look is Juolevi.

I understand that there is a lot of hope tied into Tryamkin’s return. The obvious size and good mobility for that size is clear. I watched him closely when he was here last and I liked many aspects of his game - my god the stick reach was INCREDIBLE...but he WAS quite slow to process the game in some regards. Quite often his go to zone exit technique was a bank shot off the boards or glass when he was under just moderate pressure....the result of this was a lot of icing calls.

Then there was his well documented difficult adjustment to the high conditioning standards of the NHL. And he didn’t particularly like being told to play more on the edge. If the scouts have seen progression in his processing of the game and Tram expresses his desire to get here and work his butt off, I’ll be somewhat excited. But perhaps not quite as excited as others.

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I understand that there is a lot of hope tied into Tryamkin’s return. The obvious size and good mobility for that size is clear. I watched him closely when he was here last and I liked many aspects of his game - my god the stick reach was INCREDIBLE...but he WAS quite slow to process the game in some regards. Quite often his go to zone exit technique was a bank shot off the boards or glass when he was under just moderate pressure....the result of this was a lot of icing calls.

Then there was his well documented difficult adjustment to the high conditioning standards of the NHL. And he didn’t particularly like being told to play more on the edge. If the scouts have seen progression in his processing of the game and Tram expresses his desire to get here and work his butt off, I’ll be somewhat excited. But perhaps not quite as excited as others.

Processing the game required development, not uncommon to young dmen adjusting to the highest league in the world. Unfortunately he didn't stay to develop, but that's not to say he hasn't improved in the KHL (arguably the next best league in the world). Icing the puck is a safe play and shouldn't necessarily be considered a poor decision, but I know what you're trying to say. Sometimes we are caught trying to be too cute with the puck, so simplifying things sometimes is the way to go and if we ice it, it's a good thing we have some strong faceoff men on our team.

As for conditioning, he's been playing 21+ mins a night this season. Can't imagine having poor conditioning would allow this. He's been viewed as a leader and even given captaincy at one point which also alludes to the idea that he's probably not a lazy guy and is an example of hard work and character. He has adjusted his game to be more defensive to the point where he's the go-to PK RD (which suits taking over Tanev's spot). He is a tough guy to handle physically, but he's not going to be a goon. Green seems to like to play more controlled games, which is probably why his agent continues to reiterate the fact that the team has a new coaching staff, so he must be more confident that he will like the systems implemented now. Tryamkin has admitted that he left because wasn't really mature enough to make the adjustment here, but has grown since and hopefully with some experience of being here that he will transition and adapt easier and quicker in his return.

• Cheers 3

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have not been a big fan of the concept and not because of contacts, wives or even former issues of entitlement, I just didn't think he was NHL ready then and didn't think in what I was seeing of him in KHL on games I watched (admittedly not live) that he was regressing.   This season he has changed.   He is playing far more responsibly and taking a real obvious leadership role in all aspects of the game.   He has improved his first step, he breakout passing and is not lazy on the backcheck when he messes up a pinch like he used to be.   He is smarter on the physical stuff too - improving his timing and not taking himself out of the play nearly so often.

I will say that he has impressed me and is clearly trying to show he has more to give than he showed the past two years in his return to the homeland.   IF he was able to bottle this year and put in a full summer of work and come to camp in real NHL shape, i really think he would have shot of making the team out of the gate putting any AHL talk as unnecessary.   

I wonder if the change to NHL sized rinks this year had any effects on his play. If so, that bodes well for us.

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I'm fine with no forcing Tryamkin to play with an edge.  If it's not his game, it's not his game.  He just needs to be a willing participant when he is required to be one... and so far he has been more than willing to finish things when the opposition wishes to start something.  

If he is just another Marek Malik (but tougher), that's perfectly fine too.  

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder if the change to NHL sized rinks this year had any effects on his play. If so, that bodes well for us.

Hmmmm, perhaps but his level of "try" seems increased too.   Not sure rink size impacts size of your heart.

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I am a very big fan of Tryamkin and his potential, but Tanev is one heckuva good defensive D. For me, the big issue with Tanev, is can he stay healthy, not can he play a key role for us. If I was to target a spot for Tryamkin, it would be 3rd pairing left D (Fantenburg or Benn), or 3rd pairing right D (Stetcher). I believe Tryamkin has the ability to play further up the lineup - ultimately, but that is to be seen. Another player that we may want to work into the lineup is Rafferty, and another who next year may earn a look is Juolevi.

he's a good defender, for sure, but I do think his play is moderately overrated too.  However, I think he's a strong leader and losing him would be a big hole in the makeup of the team.

Just now, stawns said:

he's a good defender, for sure, but I do think his play is moderately overrated too.  However, I think he's a strong leader and losing him would be a big hole in the makeup of the team.

If Tanev, like Edler, was hurt for an extended time we would really feel it. I feel that Tryamkin wouldn't be able to replace what Tanev brings right away. It's hard for some players to step in right away and make that sort of impact, there's an adjusting period.

I would personally like to keep Tanev and have Tryamkin here. It would give Green a 3rd pairing he can play more than 15 minutes a game, taking the load off our top 4 which would make them all play better and fresher. On top of this it would give Tryamkin the time he needs to adjust, though personally I don't see him needing much more than a year.

It would give us some pretty ganrly D-depth that season too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

If we hire a new defensive coach, I would like someone who has the same mindset as Scott Stevens, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Pronger, Denis Potvin, Kasparaitis, Jovanovski and Konstantinov in their prime. Someone who will make our defence hard as a rock to play against. 

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I'm fine with no forcing Tryamkin to play with an edge.  If it's not his game, it's not his game.  He just needs to be a willing participant when he is required to be one... and so far he has been more than willing to finish things when the opposition wishes to start something.  

If he is just another Marek Malik (but tougher), that's perfectly fine too.  

I think Tryamkin has had 3 seasons to think about his first run through the NHL. I think he learned a lot, ie the stuff after the whistle, face washes, clearing the crease after the whistle if they are to close to the goalie, knocking guys over when heading to the bench, Crashing the melee and grabbing someone if there's trouble. All common sense stuff for NA players. Also he knows that if he rocks someone with a legal hit that the play is not over after the whistle, other players will come at him for revenge or try to push him down. He knows now to be able to protect yourself at all times. That cheap stuff is always at risk happening after the whistle. Good thing Try is able to protect himself.

I think the edgier part of the NHL  is part of the mental game Tryamkin will be better prepared fpr when he comes back. But now with a way better team and more back up than last time.

• Upvote 1