The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A little late, but Bo moved into 27th in all-time scoring with his assist Sunday night.

26.  Chris Oddleifson C 469 85 180 265
27.  Bo Horvat C 405 106 140 246
28.  Geoff Courtnall LW 292 102 144 246

Quite the gap to catch Oddleifson next.

Bo looks gassed the past few games, he isn't skating with the same speed and gumption to go to the net as before.

Obviously impacted largely by Beagle and Sutter out, need to find him some support down the middle and even on the wings.  Albeit I like that it is pushing him to be better defensively, at times he has looked a bit lost defensively, need him to get back to playing simple defensive hockey like his first two seasons in the NHL.  

18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bo looks gassed the past few games, he isn't skating with the same speed and gumption to go to the net as before.

Obviously impacted largely by Beagle and Sutter out, need to find him some support down the middle and even on the wings.  Albeit I like that it is pushing him to be better defensively, at times he has looked a bit lost defensively, need him to get back to playing simple defensive hockey like his first two seasons in the NHL.  

A few days of rest here and hopefully one or both of Sutter/Beagle back soon should help Horvat's energy etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Been noticing Bo's defensive awareness is lacking last little while. Tonight, Bo was on for all of Vegas' four goals where he was caught in no mans land on all the goals.  He has to track and make quicker decisions to get back into defensive positioning and getting his stick/body in passing lanes. 

Was advertised to be a strong defensive player in Junior and when drafted. I feel he hasnt developed that part of the game as much in the NHL compared to his offensive game.  At this stage of his career was hoping he would be a bit more polished in this area of his game. 

Beagle and Sutter wont be here forever and we will depend on Bo to carry the load going forward.  He needs to start taking bigger strides in this area. 

He has shown he is always uo for ghe challenge.  Whether it was his skating, offensive game, he has passed it multiple times. Hope its the same case for his defensive game. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1

Because of his line mates, I Beleive, he’s trying to be that spark offensively. He gets caught a lot, I agree. Horvat is absolutely brilliant on face offs and he does a lot of good things every game. If he had better line mates we would not be having this convo. Horvat is the heart of this team.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Because of his line mates, I Beleive, he’s trying to be that spark offensively. He gets caught a lot, I agree. Horvat is absolutely brilliant on face offs and he does a lot of good things every game. If he had better line mates we would not be having this convo. Horvat is the heart of this team.

Bo needs a play driving winger.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

To me Gaudette is finding his way now in the league and atleast from an offensive perspective will be our 2nd best center by seasons end.  If we are to win this could mean Bo adjusting his game to play a more defensive role to put the team first.  Use the tools he has to be that shutdown guy we need.

That is what I was thinking watching the game last night. Bo has a dry spell each season. If he was a tad more physical it might improve his game. 

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

If Bo can get his plus / minus in the plus range , he should be a nominee for the Selke trophy. 

Ehh....he's got good face-offs, but on other stats there are better players.

He doesn't play on the PK that much and the stats show that when he does, he's not actually that great.

He does have some pretty impressive possesion metrics according to NHL.com though based on his OZ%. Still, I don't think he has enough going for him to seriously challenge for the Selke.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Ehh....he's got good face-offs, but on other stats there are better players.

He doesn't play on the PK that much and the stats show that when he does, he's not actually that great.

He does have some pretty impressive possesion metrics according to NHL.com though based on his OZ%. Still, I don't think he has enough going for him to seriously challenge for the Selke.

Probably right, 80 points and a +20 as a shut down centre would win that , not quite this year but he might peak there in his career . He needs an aggressive side once in awhile to get over the top.

18 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Probably right, 80 points and a +20 as a shut down centre would win that , not quite this year but he might peak there in his career . He needs an aggressive side once in awhile to get over the top.

I think the Selke should have to do with a lot more than points and +/-. I would say that about 65 points should be enough to qualify and from there, while +/- is a factor, you'd also want to include factors such as faceoff %, possession metrics (CORSI/Fenwick), OZ%, blocked shots, takeaways/giveaways, PK time, and PK effectiveness.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2