The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

15 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Juolevi was shaking out his leg during a portion of of the down time of the bag skate. Have we heard anything on him? is he ok?

Green told reporters it was nothing to worry about...but who knows. He looked a bit uncomfortable after the skate.

17 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Juolevi was shaking out his leg during a portion of of the down time of the bag skate. Have we heard anything on him? is he ok?

He seems to be okay but Travis Green did say that they will be using "load management" with him.

I've been thinking that I could see Juolevi make the Canucks as the 8th d-man wherein he's not expected to play a ton of games but that he ends up working with the training and medical staff to get his knee 100% before being deployed down to either Utica or becoming a regular fixture for the Canucks.

I know big minutes in Utica would be ideal this year but I'd rather not risk his long term health over some short term gains. I'm still a big believer in Juolevi and think he could make a very solid defensive partner for a guy like Quinn Hughes in the future.

• Upvote 1

Juolevi was listed as the spare defenseman for the white team at the scrimmage today. I don't think he played that much, but again that's likely due to the load management that's been discussed before. 

I think it's fairly evident that rust and conditioning are going to be significant for him this season. Early in the game, he had one shift where he made an inaccurate pass that resulted in a turnover, a pass that got picked off and then a broken stick to top it off. It was a rough start. I think rust and timing are the two most likely things affecting his passing ability because I've seen him make those plays consistently before. The broken stick was just unlucky. He looked fine the few times I noticed him after. 

It can take a while before you start making the passes that you know you can, especially when everyone else is already flying at full speed. I really think he'll need around 2 months to feel 100% up to speed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just read Juolevi’s rankings profile on Canucks Army. This part stood out:

“Jeremy Davis’ prospect Graduation Probabilities System gives Juolevi an expected likelihood of success of 59.4%, a top 4 XLS of 52.2%, and an expected production rate of 35.1. The successful players in Juolevi’s cohort are a murderer’s row of top four defensemen of all play styles that includes Mike Green, Shea Theodore, Justin Faulk, T.J. Brodie, Roman Josi, and Keith Yandle.”

So a 60% chance to become a full time NHLer and over 50% chance of becoming a top-4 defenseman. Expected production of 35 points per season.

Makes me wonder, if Juolevi had gone to, let’s say college at UND for his D+1, put up maybe 25, 30, and 35 point seasons, over three years, signed after his junior year of college, and was arriving in Vancouver with the analytics saying he had a 50/50 shot of becoming a legit top-4, and was predicted to score 35 points per season, how would people feel?

I expect most Canucks fans would be excited as **** about this player. He’d be one of the big stories at camp and a reason for optimism regarding this team’s future.

Here’s the link to the full profile:

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/09/16/2019-preseason-prospect-rankings-5-olli-juolevi/

Great post Sid, as they always are. One of very few credible posters on here. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd rather have a controlled rehab then him trying to go all out, maybe overdoing it just to try to prove a point.  It's the timing of his knee healing up that's most important right now. Dec-Jan is fine by me. We got Benn and Myers going now and Hughie needs some game time.

We've waited this long for OJ a few more months ain't going to make difference in the long run.

Not to mention that we have several other left handed defensemen that have looked good in camp. Sautner, Brisebois and Teves have all played well and are all good injury callups until Juolevi is going 100%

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1