The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

His problem wasn't labelling him generational it was the over-use of the term generational.

By definition this should be used for a player, maybe two that is head and shoulders above the rest, for sports it would usually be about once every 10 years (as opposed to 20 in regular life).

Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Bossey, Howe, Crosby are generational players and there is probably a handful more in the past.  McDavid may become one but isn't yet.

Every good player or prospect that comes along is hardly generational and frankly it should be a judgement made at the end of someones career not at the draft.

Generational prospect I would be willing to give more liberally.  A lot more of those come along.  Lindros is a great picture of a generational prospect that for various reasons didn't turn into a generational player, hall of famer yes but not generational.

Generational players start out as generational doing things their peers couldn't. Ie Elias Pettersson. And I know what his problem was and agree with it. But that being said I feel 100 percent Elias is already doing what players that come along once every 20 years is doing.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, MattJVD said:

IMO Crosby and Ovechkin are the only two generational players in the league. Not  Tavares, not Karlsson, not Malkin, not Kopitar. 

I guess McDavid is making a case for himself now too. 

You lost me at Malkin. 

• Upvote 1

Teams that win the cup usually have a superstar first line centre, a superstar defence man, and a really good goalie. 

I am confident we have all three of these with Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and Thatcher Demko 

We have a solid second line center in Bo Horvat who we can rely on in big moments and a star goal scorer in Brock Boeser. 

Next season in Utica a lot of the prospects will have a chance to play together and build chemistry. Also Pettersson will get to play in the NHL

We will also be able to hopefully add 2-3 more NHL quality prospects at the draft in Vancouver.

We could also see the return of monster defence man Nikita Tyramkin who would come in handy during the playoffs. 

I see Elias Pettersson as our Wayne Gretzky. Quinn Hughes as our Paul Coffey and Thatcher Demko as our Grant Fuhr. 

Maybe Jari Kurri is like our Brock Boeser, We could still use a LW like Messier and a top line RD. 

Exciting times for Canucks fans....

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Oh Boi, fellow gents... thats a pretty high expectation to fall from...

Ill be fine with 15-20g 40-50 pnts for the young man 

He'll be the best when we need him to be at our journey to the  stanley cup...

I get what you're saying, but I would have been happy with 0.75 points per game in the SHL last year for him and he blew that out of the water. The kid has so much talent, he's probably capable of a 60 to 70 point rookie year (if he plays all 82).

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I get what you're saying, but I would have been happy with 0.75 points per game in the SHL last year for him and he blew that out of the water. The kid has so much talent, he's probably capable of a 60 to 70 point rookie year (if he plays all 82).

I'll only be happy if Pettersson wins the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, or Hart this year.  Therefore, since he's good at exceeding expectations, I now know that he will win all 3. :D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I'll only be happy if Pettersson wins the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, or Hart this year.  Therefore, since he's good at exceeding expectations, I now know that he will win all 3. :D

I like your positivity, but I think you may be slightly optimistic. I think that this year the only addition to his trophy collection will be the Calder. The Ross, Lindsay and Hart probably won't come till next year, and the Conn Smithe not until the year after. ::D

Pure scorer we haven’t seen since Bure?

i would argue that naslund was pure scorer between the two. But very nice to see EP getting lots of recognition. He’s not under the radar anymore so it will be interesting how he deals with the spotlight that will be on him. 

If anything having EP and Boeser in the mix might take a little pressure of Hughes if he starts this year too.

I think at some point this season ( might not be till March if he goes back to Michigan ) we will see a powerplay unit the looks like this:

gagner - horvat - pettersson

boeser - Hughes 

hopefully hughes will get some time to learn to play on the right side in the pp this season wherever he plays. I remember seeing an interview where he talked about being put on his off side on the pp for team USA at the world championships and it was something he had never done before and wanted to improve. I’m thinking he’ll get lots of chances there this season in Van or Utica, but I’m not sure about Michigan. It depends if they want to use him the same way as last year or not. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Pure scorer we haven’t seen since Bure?

i would argue that naslund was pure scorer between the two. But very nice to see EP getting lots of recognition. He’s not under the radar anymore so it will be interesting how he deals with the spotlight that will be on him. 

If anything having EP and Boeser in the mix might take a little pressure of Hughes if he starts this year too.

Id argue that this will be better for Juolevi who is more NHL ready but is slipping under the radar, which is good for him. I cant see Juolevi and Hughes both on the roster to start the season and my guess is Juolevi is ahead of Hughes development wise.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, Canadian Clay said:

I think at some point this season ( might not be till March if he goes back to Michigan ) we will see a powerplay unit the looks like this:

gagner - horvat - pettersson

boeser - Hughes 

hopefully hughes will get some time to learn to play on the right side in the pp this season wherever he plays. I remember seeing an interview where he talked about being put on his off side on the pp for team USA at the world championships and it was something he had never done before and wanted to improve. I’m thinking he’ll get lots of chances there this season in Van or Utica, but I’m not sure about Michigan. It depends if they want to use him the same way as last year or not. 

....not sure how you can put Gagner on that PP with a straight face...

It should be Dahlen or Gaudette but likely will be Baer or Erikkson (for net front presence)

I would rather see another D. on the PP than Gag's...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....not sure how you can put Gagner on that PP with a straight face...

It should be Dahlen or Gaudette but likely will be Baer or Erikkson (for net front presence)

I would rather see another D. on the PP than Gag's...

I put gagner cause he’s a right handed shot and played there at times on the PP last season (sometimes Vanek was there too). 

Gaudette would be good there too, as I believe that’s where he played with northeastern. But I don’t think he will have built up the trust with Green yet by the end of the year end (maybe though). 

I think baer and Eriksson will be in the 2nd unit to help spread out the offense and so they can be on their off wing for the pp. 

i know gagner is easy to rag on but his greatest strength as a player is banging home picks at the net front, he did it a lot with the Sedins towards the end of the season and putting him there *may* also up his trade value

edit: just wanna day I do agree with you, that there are better options than gagner; but this is me trying to guess what green might do, not say what my preferred pp unit would be. 

Edit 2: just a thought, maybe Virtanen down low? Big body, good for retrieving pucks, for checking, and a threat to shoot the puck. Could work well actually

Edited by Canadian Clay
Added to post
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I put gagner cause he’s a right handed shot and played there at times on the PP last season (sometimes Vanek was there too). 

Gaudette would be good there too, as I believe that’s where he played with northeastern. But I don’t think he will have built up the trust with Green yet by the end of the year end (maybe though). 

I think baer and Eriksson will be in the 2nd unit to help spread out the offense and so they can be on their off wing for the pp. 

i know gagner is easy to rag on but his greatest strength as a player is banging home picks at the net front, he did it a lot with the Sedins towards the end of the season and putting him there *may* also up his trade value

edit: just wanna day I do agree with you, that there are better options than gagner; but this is me trying to guess what green might do, not say what my preferred pp unit would be. 

Edit 2: just a thought, maybe Virtanen down low? Big body, good for retrieving pucks, for checking, and a threat to shoot the puck. Could work well actually

Virtanen's got earn it by showing puck skills, that is something he is supposed to be working on this summer...hope it works out for him...Gaudette has everything Gag.s has plus the ability to go into the corner's and come out with the puck....as well as backcheck....both things I have not seen Gagner do...at all really ...he certainly has never been to the corner's to check or be checked...

By the TDL I think we see both Dahlen and Gaudette up to stay and Gagner plus....? Eriksson or Baer or Granlund will be gone...