The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tillman wants the NHL in Houston

3 hours ago, ArkDepot said:

Houston is 4x the size of Quebec City, but the fans in Quebec are 4x crazier, so even up.

Plus. 

Winter.

Quebec-arena-winter-celebration.jpg

I dunno, I hear the people in Houston are pretty nuts. Maybe not over hockey, but still...

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I miss the old battle of Quebec days.

Hard core Hab fans ( especially Quebecois ) hate the Nords more than the Bruins in my own personal poll over the years.

In fact when I mention expansion/re-location to QC some actually oppose it, man those games were can't miss events!

Just now, zzbottom said:

Arizona to Seattle
Carolina back to Hartford
Florida to Houston/Quebec
Columbus should stay cos Ohio is a hockey state and the team is on the rise. 

I only mention those 4 based on profit which is in the top 4 of negative profits. New Jersey is in this same boat.

5 hours ago, Shekky said:

Relocate anyone of Arizona, Columbus, Carolina, or Florida.

No way Columbus should be relocated. They have one of the biggest, most loyal fan bases in hockey not to mention they sell out in every one of their games and their games always fill up to the max capacity. 

I would relocate Florida and Arizona. Florida should be Houston meanwhile Arizona should be Seattle. 

1 hour ago, jmfaminoff said:

KC does not have the population.

Population means nothing.

Phoenix has the 5th highest population in America, and they're having a hard time filling up the arena. It also doesn't help their cause, by icing a horrendous team.

4 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

QC is not getting a team. Houston probably does hurt Seattle's chances a bit as well... And be careful with the relocation talk.. Vancouver's attendance is mediocre at best right now and before you know it, it could be the Canucks people are mentioning in the relocation talks. IF FA decides to sell and a buyer wants to move the team, im not so sure the NHL would step in to try to block it. 

Vancouver won't be relocated because of its 40+ year history. Relocating the Canucks would be as likely as relocating the Red Wings or the Rangers. Especially when the Canucks are part of only a handful of teams that is profitable now and were 6th most profitable in NHL last time I checked. So it won't move even if FA sold to another buyer who wasn't a BC native just because of the established market in Vancouver and the potential to become really profitable when the team wins.

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bring in Houston.

Move Carolina to Quebec.

Move Arizona to Seattle.

I like it but an Eastern team would have to change divisions to accommodate Quebec City's move to the Atlantic Division. Perhaps Columbus or Washington would be candidates as almost every other team in the Metro Division is within a 2-2.5 hour drive from each other. 

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Population means nothing.

Phoenix has the 5th highest population in America, and they're having a hard time filling up the arena. It also doesn't help their cause, by icing a horrendous team.

Population means something. Yes its not the only factor, but the reason there's no NHL team in Mexico City is not the same reason there's no team in Yellowknife.

Houston would work. With the arena already there and massive population it would do fine. I think Seattle would get a basketball team before a hockey team if they got a new arena built anyways. As for Quebec, it's probably a pipe dream as long as Bettman is around and no way will he put an expansion franchise there. The NHL could actually use another expansion team as the talent coming into the league is incredible and vast and it's forcing a lot of good, NHL worthy players out of the league by 30. 

21 hours ago, jmfaminoff said:

Not funny.  I live here in the Houston metro. I have friends that lost everything, and won't be back into their homes for months to come.  We had to repair our roof and replace the sheet rock and insulation at our house. The scale of the damage is insane.  The thousands of people that are now homeless is tremendous.

Terrible things happen to everyone. Sorry I’m coming across as insensitive but let’s not get all unglued over a 4 word comment that was attempted humour. Let’s talk about hockey. 

23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats a relief. I must have remembered an earlier story where they were thinking of multiple years of the #3 lotto spot, but man would that be lopsided given where they have started off from. They remind me of Team Europe, doing well despite themselves. 

17 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I think they are top five protected which means they will have guaranteed top five pick . Not sure though 

Elliotte Friedman originally reported that they would have top 3 draft odds for the first 5 (I think?) years but he later retracted saying he wasn't able to confirm it. Since then as far as I've seen nobody has said anything about it. We'll probably hear something about it later in the season once teams start to bottom out and look ahead to the draft.

Just me, but, I think the Montreal Canadiens are blocking any Quebec City bid, They already have Ottawa next door.

I would think the Leafs would do the same if another franchise tried to put a team in their digs.

Montreal has a ton of pull in the head office of the NHL.

Archived