The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling is outscoring our D

Ray_Cathode

It's easy to determine after the fact but things happen in real time that are a roll of the dice and based on needs at the time, etc. You have to factor in all the variables, not just step back with a snippet to make a point.  

1 hour ago, cbdoubleu said:

It was a bad trade, but I don't think Benning's legacy will hang on Forsling. He's done too much good for the organization's depth.

And he's been on the good end of more bad trades in our favour with Baertschi, Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin, and Dahlen.  

Without Clendenning, we don't get Sutter. Pittsburgh wanted an NHL ready defenseman, which Forsling wasn't at the time.

Without Sutter we\re not enjoying the success we\re having right now.

Sometimes you gotta make what seems like a bad trade on paper in order to get ahead in other areas.

On 2017-11-20 at 7:21 PM, Warhippy said:

Canucks have 4 players scoring double digit numbers.

Hawks have 9

Canucks have 5 additional players with more than 5 points.

Hawks have 4.

Hawks D en masse is outscoring the Canucks 43 points to 23 points.

Just, you know...for reference.  Without ever remembering that Forsling was small and had exactly 1 decent WJC while Clendenning was not only larger but also nearly .70 PPG average in the AHL over 3 seasons at that point in time at the same position

Thankfully Benning saw a chance to improve our team like any GM would do and sold high on an unknown prospect to take a chance on a guy who didn't pan out but looked very promising.  Thankfully Benning found guys like Chatfield, Brisebois etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc after almost 13 years of mediocre to absolutely abysmal drafting.

Edit.  I was not a Benning fan, but it takes a real downer to not see how and where he's tried to improve this team and to see where it is headed in the future.  I do not foresee any chance that Forsling has 7 points as of right now on a team like the canucks over the Hawks with keith, Rutta and seabrook

He used the same tactic with the Pedan for Pouliot trade. You win some and you lose some. 

Hated the trade from the get go, but with that said he likely does not have those point totals here. Not as simple as moving a player and all his points over. We are a different team, different systems, different deployments etc.

Like those that say we missed out on Nylander, there's no saying whether or not he would have had the same success here that he is having in Toronto. Although I'll admit he'd still probably be better than Jake. I love Jake, I love what he brings but Ehlers and Nylander were likely better picks, discussion for another thread though.

So this topic to me is more about scouring the dreggs of old periphery deals to nit pick what could of been than actually making a straight up comparison of roster players.  Jesse Louise, yes our teams D doesn't match up to most ( recently ranked 26, ahead of Detroit, Buffalo, NJ, Col and Vegas by the defense oriented THN edition, and even with that ranking the say we've improved and are servicable without any star talent) thats obvious, but Benning's body of work should have some wins and some losses when it come to everything from drafting and trading to running his staff, but as a whole he's worth extending.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Without Clendenning, we don't get Sutter. Pittsburgh wanted an NHL ready defenseman, which Forsling wasn't at the time.

Without Sutter we\re not enjoying the success we\re having right now.

Sometimes you gotta make what seems like a bad trade on paper in order to get ahead in other areas.

To say that there would be no Sutter without Clendenning is to say that the Canucks wouldn't have gotten Luongo from Florida without Bryan Allen.

The focal pieces in that trade were Sutter and Bonino. Clendenning wasn't going to make or break that trade.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hated the trade from the get go, but with that said he likely does not have those point totals here. Not as simple as moving a player and all his points over. We are a different team, different systems, different deployments etc.

Like those that say we missed out on Nylander, there's no saying whether or not he would have had the same success here that he is having in Toronto. Although I'll admit he'd still probably be better than Jake. I love Jake, I love what he brings but Ehlers and Nylander were likely better picks, discussion for another thread though.

And thats always my point, would Willie have given Ehlers and Nylander the opportunities that maurice and babcock gave them?  Or would one error have benched them and lost their confidence like Jake.

Either way, hindsight 20/20 alway.s

The way I see it, you can either focus negatively on trades like that we lose, or you can be happy that at least we have the GM who was able to see who he could be when he drafted him in the first place and likely to find more gems (like Gaudette, etc).

Looking at trades under a microscope is great and all, but don't look too hard. You'll pop your eyes out and become blind to what's really going on overall. ;)

On 20/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I was looking at the prospect points tracker all the way down at the bottom, and noticed:

If Forsling ( Gillis pick, I believe) could transfer himself and his points to Vancouver, he would be our highest scoring defenceman  at 2g 5a in 17 games compared to Del Zotto at 1g and 6a in 20 games played.  Apparently, he was traded for, along with a 2nd round pick, for Adam Clendenning and Brandon Sutter, in order to get rid of a guy who went on to win two Stanley Cup rings.

In PPG, Jarred McCann with 2g 3a in 8 games, would be our second highest scoring C.  Thankfully, Benning is better at drafting that at evaluating NHL talent.

Sorry but this is A terrible post. If you took the time to look further both Forsling and mcann got most of their points at the start of the season. Mcann especially. 

JB is one of the better at evaluating NHL talent. Oh and Sutter has been A beast.

This thread is just pointless. Just another attempt to discredit JB 

I remember not liking this trade and saying so at the time. I had gone onto Game Center and looked at a couple of Hawks games. He seemed slow and his judgement looked poor.

However, like with the McCann trade I also said I trusted JB and that is the bottom line. You don't expect your GM to get it right every time and we have to accept we generally don't know the facts influencing these transactions. They have led to good things.

I still feel the same way. I have my opinions but accept that I am not in the least bit qualified to realistically question a GM's or a Coach's actions. I support them until they are gone.

11 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

He is a small European. I have seen similar players disappear in past playoff series, so I am basing my assumptions on life experiences and lessons I have learned along the way. 

funny you should say that in a thread where there's a lot of moaning about trading Forsling.

Archived