The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Lucic to have Hearing

Shekky

The hit is blatant interference, but aside from that, it's just a beautiful hit. If he stopped there, it's a 2 minute minor for interference and that's it. It's the punches to the head afterwards that will net him a suspension.

That cross check by Matt Benning to the neck of Killorn (trying to defend Joseph) deserves a look at by the league as well IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The hearing is largely around the surprise the league had that Lucic could still skate the entire length of the ice.   "We were certain Milan was not capable of that much skating on one shift and we need to understand how that talent is offsite by his offensive performance - is he taking bets on the Oilers to lose?   We just don't know".

My god he looked pathetically slow chasing after Joseph, like I seriously feel I could beat him in a skating foot race.

The only difference between this and the Bertuzzi incident is that Joseph didn't seem hurt afterward.

Lucic clearly was stalking Joseph and caught him in the corner to try to take him out.

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The hit was fine. No issue. The first glove punch to the helmet was innocuous enough. When he sat on him and fed him shots though, that's crossing a line.

That being said, I'm sure Kris Russell appreciates what Lucic did, considering the cheap hit Joseph made on him. He deserved some retribution for the cheap shot.

Fine? On what planet? Joseph hadn't touched the puck, and was nowhere near it. You can't just hit any guy on the ice at any time.

And punching a guy in the face while he's lying on the ice is about as douche-bag as you can get. I would absolutely throw the book at Lucic for this - 5 games minimum.

Also, what has happened to him? It's one thing to be slow and useless at hockey, but you'd think at the least he'd still be able to enforce properly, rather than be a lame-a$$ b!%&h. Taking cheap shots at a rookie when they are not ready? So lame. What absolutely useless player he has become.

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

That cross check by Matt Benning to the neck of Killorn (trying to defend Joseph) deserves a look at by the league as well IMO. 

My god he looked pathetically slow chasing after Joseph, like I seriously feel I could beat him in a skating foot race.

Lucic lost something on the flight from LA to Edmonton and seemingly cannot find it again - his skating.   For a big guy, he was a good skater in junior and for the Bruins and even in LA but something happened on the trip to Edmonton.   I think he should file a claim with the airline.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Lucic lost something on the flight from LA to Edmonton and seemingly cannot find it again - his skating.   For a big guy, he was a good skater in junior and for the Bruins and even in LA but something happened on the trip to Edmonton.   I think he should file a claim with the airline.

He shares ice with McDavid. That's what happened  lol

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Fine? On what planet? Joseph hadn't touched the puck, and was nowhere near it. You can't just hit any guy on the ice at any time.

Plenty of players commit those types of hits throughout a season, usually ending up with them getting a interference penalty. As a hit, it was a good, clean check regardless of the location of the puck.

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

And punching a guy in the face while he's lying on the ice is about as douche-bag as you can get. I would absolutely throw the book at Lucic for this - 5 games minimum.

Certainly when he reigned punches down on Joseph whilst sitting on him, he displayed a complete lack of respect for the game. That's pathetic.

Also, what has happened to him? It's one thing to be slow and useless at hockey, but you'd think at the least he'd still be able to enforce properly, rather than be a lame-a$$ b!%&h. Taking cheap shots at a rookie when they are not ready? So lame. What absolutely useless player he has become.

He's always had that cheap shot aspect in his game, as I mentioned earlier, he attacked Hamhuis after Dan hipchecked him during the playoffs. Hamhuis had injured himself and was struggling to get up and Lucic attacked him when he was compromised. He's quickly becoming a joke in the league, and his MMA ground and pound on Joseph didn't do him any favors.

That being said, Joseph did deliver a dirty hit to Russell.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Plenty of players commit those types of hits throughout a season, usually ending up with them getting a interference penalty. As a hit, it was a good, clean check regardless of the location of the puck.

It's obviously not a good, clean check when the player usually gets a penalty.

The location of the puck means everything. A player with the puck should be prepared for contact. But a player who is not in possession of the puck should not expect to get body-checked. Therefore, hitting an unsuspecting player who hadn't even touched the puck is dirty, plain and simple.

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's obviously not a good, clean check when the player usually gets a penalty.

As a hit, once again, it was fine. From a rule based standpoint, it was a penalty worthy play.

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The location of the puck means everything. A player with the puck should be prepared for contact. But a player who is not in possession of the puck should not expect to get body-checked. Therefore, hitting an unsuspecting player who hadn't even touched the puck is dirty, plain and simple.

Joseph handled the initial hit just fine. From my perspective he was preparing himself for Lucic to do something. Hitting a player without the puck is a violation of the rules of the game. In my opinion, that doesn't make it dirty.

Is this the hit Lucic was upset about?

https://streamable.com/gqgam

From what I see on this play Russell puts himself in the psotion to get hit and Joesph isn't even really looking when he hits him. And why didn't Lucic go after him then - he was on the ice when it happened??

Best thing for the Oilers might be him and his 4 pts sitting for a few games.

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

And there are genuinely people on this board who want to trade Eriksson for this permanently enraged Quasimodo on a worse contract.

His contract is one year longer at the same money as Eriksson. If nothing else, at least Lucic can be a deterrent for other teams' rats taking liberties on McD and co.

Eriksson deters nothing.

Eriksson does next to nothing in any capacity. Eriksson is here to count stacks of cash while Lucic is in Edmonton to actually do something - on the ice! 

Honestly, I'd take 7 years of Lucic at 6 million any day over 6x6 for that useless pantywaist, Eriksson. Lucic at least looks like he gives a s**t.

Joseph's hit on Russel was very similar to Keith's hit on Dube. Both were ugly.  And crickets from the refs AND league!

Here is the problem in all of this.  Who else is going to hold Joseph accountable for his dangerous hit?  Not the on ice officials.  There hasn't been a single BOO from the league DOP(e)S on Joseph's or Keith's hit.  So, apparently the players have to do it.

Lucic is lucky Joseph wasn't hurt. This is Burtuzzi v Moore, just with a different result.

I hope he gets a serious suspension, but the league should look at Joseph's hit on Russel too. They have to know the officials are complicit in this. Had they given Joseph a misconduct, there is no opportunity for this crap.

Archived