The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Petterson in 3 years could get a $150Million Deal?!

Ryzen

If it was signed with today's cap, I'd hope for something like $10 mil x 8 year. But I don't know what the cap is going to look like in 3 years. Another franchise will be added and we'll be on a new CBA. $12.5 mil x 8 might be the new standard for superstar 1st line centres.

2 hours ago, Ryzen said:

It's possible when in 3 years Elias Petterson is do for his contract it could be worth anywhere from $100Million-$150Million over 8 Years!

I personally believe he is the next Gretzky of the NHL... Give him a couple more years and beef up another 10pds and experience with more skilled players.

I'm calling it now... What do you think?

Pettersson could very well be in the 11-13 million dollar range when all is said and done, but I hope that he takes a hometown discount of sorts.  If Boeser can step up and take a discount, I think that will give way to Pettersson.

That’s one thing that I like about Colorado right now.   They might have an environment where players are buying into winning a cup (even if the opportunity cost is less money for the short term).  This is what made teams like Chicago and LA quite successful between 2010-2015.  Their top players had relatively low cap hits.  Mackinnon likely has the best long term contract in the league right now. Winnipeg’s Mark Schiefele is also up there.  Some of those contracts in Winnipeg might give way for Laine “buying in.”

If guys like Boeser and Pettersson start breaking the bank, then our ‘window’ could start to close just as we start to open it.  

This thread almost most makes me wonder:

If a team consistently traded their superstar RFA’s (slated to make North of 10 million) for “very very good” players that were signed in that 6-7 million dollar range + draft picks/prospects, would said team be better off in the long term?  Focusing on depth rather than being extremely top heavy?  Like a Vegas/San Jose type model.

Let's calm down before saying this kid is going to be on Gretzky's level. Read more about how much above the rest of the league Gretzky was and then come back and tell me Petey is still going to be that good.

Hmmm with McDavid averaging 1.32 ppg in his best year and Pettersson currently averages 1.09 if EP keeps this up until his contract year and calculating based on PPG with McDavid's cap hit. 

Around 10.3 to 10.7 million aav seems like how much Pettersson will be signed for. 

It could go to 11m + with the cap going up but I think that's ok since Pettersson is going to be essential for the 7 player profile the team needs to be a cup contender. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Let's calm down before saying this kid is going to be on Gretzky's level. Read more about how much above the rest of the league Gretzky was and then come back and tell me Petey is still going to be that good.

Well Gretzky himself compared Pettersson to himself so it's coming from the man himself. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Well Gretzky himself compared Pettersson to himself so it's coming from the man himself. 

Gretzky compared his playstyle. I completely agree that they have similar playstyles, but that's different from saying that they are at similar levels.

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely.  Four consecutive 200 plus point seasons when the next highest was in the 120 s etc... heck this year four players are on pace for more than 120, so if EP get says 170-180 points the it would be comparable.  That said after two five point games I’m starting to expect it.  On the cap and salary I believe the most any individual can make is 20% of that so there is a limit to what he can even be offered.  Rantanen and McKinnon are both earning a lot less...Mathews, well TO had been pumping his tires since he was drafted so I wouldn’t be surprised if they pay him more than McDavid...which would open the door to some ridiculous signings after (McDavid should be earning the most at this point).

Hoo boy. Well, I'm sure the deal will be massive if the production keeps up. My initial thought is - the owners are absolutely never going to agree to that high of a maximum allowed contract on the next CBA. I could see it being a little higher. But, 18.75M? That's almost a 3M dollar increase on the current maximum allowed. I could see it being comparable to McDavid and Matthews in that 12-13M range. Maybe 14-14.5. 

I'm going to suggest we wait to see him finish his first NHL season before deciding that he needs to be one of the highest paid players in hockey. I know everyone is excited, but its been 30 games and people are suggesting we throw ridiculous money at him. Makes no sense.

We need to see him sustain the pace he's at before throwing that kind of money at him. And make sure that he can continue that pace into next season.

10 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I'm going to suggest we wait to see him finish his first NHL season before deciding that he needs to be one of the highest paid players in hockey. I know everyone is excited, but its been 30 games and people are suggesting we throw ridiculous money at him. Makes no sense.

We need to see him sustain the pace he's at before throwing that kind of money at him. And make sure that he can continue that pace into next season.

This is the key. Next year teams will be cueing in on him, scouting him, would have played him before etc. If EP can still produce like he has been through next year then I think we can start having contract discussions. Until then this conversation is rather pointless. His production could very well decline in the second half of the season.

Look at Matthew Barzal. Last year he wins the Calder with 22G, and 85 points over the season. This year he has 4G in 31 games (27points). He is on pace for 10 goals! Tavares is gone so he is getting the opposing top pair D and defensive FWD line. IF Pettersson can perform in those conditions then the 10M/season conversation can start.

Cap management is going to start to be a big part of the puzzle for management.  There are a lot of contracts to be negotiated over the next three years: Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Boeser, Gaudette, Goldobin, Edler, Hutton, Tanev, Stecher and more that might be let go.  We currently sit with between 7 and 8 million in cap space and most of these guys will want, and some of them deserve, a raise.  Contracts like Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel start to be problems during this period.  With both Boeser and Pettersson being core players who make players around them better, it's going to be critical to keep some cap space for them.

Archived