The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

sucks that we will lose him for nothing. 

seems like the Canucks are the only organization that seems to let our own players go for nothing. is it just me or do other teams around the league have a tendency to do this as seemingly often as the Canucks do? 

Cough Tavares cough

• Haha 3

seems like the Canucks are the only organization that seems to let our own players go for nothing. is it just me or do other teams around the league have a tendency to do this as seemingly often as the Canucks do? 

What do you think free agency is?

You're just closer to the players the Canucks let walk.

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

It wouldn't have changed much to give Stetcher a break for a couple of games and rotate Rafferty in.  Rafferty has earned the look.

Stetcher makes me scratch my head a lot after he 'kills' momentum.

He seems very anxious with the puck and his defending quality is also dropping

3 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I like Stetcher and he is a great story.  But at $2.5 Million I can't see how he fits going forward and as the games get heavier I am concerned he may get pushed around even more.  I wonder if there would be a market for him now as part of a package for an upgrade. 

Where do you think all the UFA's come from every summer? Are they all expiring Canucks?

Besides, at this rate, is not be shocked to see Tanev back. Stecher on the other hand...

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Where do you think all the UFA's come from every summer? Are they all expiring Canucks?

Besides, at this rate, is not be shocked to see Tanev back. Stecher on the other hand...

Honestly, I could see Tanev try the market to see if he could go to Pittsburg and play a season with Brandon.  

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can see Tanev re-upping as well even at a discount. The issue might become term. How much term can you give him? If you re-sign him it has to be with the idea he will be 2RD in 2023 where as he might be at 3RD level. Tough decisions for JB. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I haven’t seen Rafferty play....I know his offense is good. how’s the rest of his game, does he have a high or low hockey IQ.?

Should Canucks trade him while his stock is high or is he as good as his stats?

Anything ive read about him is Top Notch Harry.  ... and considering he is 23-24 yrs 6’2 195-200lbs.. he might be one of these college men that steps on and never leaves.

it would be great to get a look at him asap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I haven’t seen Rafferty play....I know his offense is good. how’s the rest of his game, does he have a high or low hockey IQ.?

Should Canucks trade him while his stock is high or is he as good as his stats?

He’s taking Stecher’s place, and that saves 2 million on the cap.  He’s a keeper for at least his ELC.   

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Anything ive read about him is Top Notch Harry.  ... and considering he is 23-24 yrs 6’2 195-200lbs.. he might be one of these college men that steps on and never leaves.

it would be great to get a look at him asap.

I like the Collage Guys they seem to be...well prepared....Rafferty offensive (right shot) could be a good pairing with Big Tryamkin 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I like the Collage Guys they seem to be...well prepared....Rafferty offensive (right shot) could be a good pairing with Big Tryamkin 

There are 2 teams right now that desperately need to fill a hole on Defence.

Carolina - D Hamilton 

St Louis - J Bouwmeester 

make a trade now with Tanev for futures / or prospects , lose 4m on the cap.

add to that the extra cap space that remains from our IR . . (beleived to be 6 m alone with BB, MF, & JL out)

10m has to get us a good D man from some other team.

plus with the probable addition of Tryamkin, and the hopeful arrival of B Rafferty, who is 24 yrs 6’2” playing college hockey.

id say we’re set for the 3rd round or more.

• JB. be a God.
Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, Wanless said:

Me too.  I really like him but he seems to be a bit fidgety with the puck rather than having a clear purpose.  Lots of movement but not a lot of direction/momentum.  To be honest, I would trade him at the deadline (Max return now vs off-season) and add Tryamkin and Joulevi/Rafferty to the club.

• Cheers 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, Borvat said:

I like Stetcher and he is a great story.  But at $2.5 Million I can't see how he fits going forward and as the games get heavier I am concerned he may get pushed around even more.  I wonder if there would be a market for him now as part of a package for an upgrade. 

Agreed, and that would be the savvy thing to do this time of year.  Tryamkin and Joulevi/Rafferty can upgrade his place +1 for expanded rosters leading up to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Rafferty's 40 points moves him into a tie for the club record for points by a D-man.

With who? Future Hall of Famer Bobby Sanguinetti.

Well ..... I'm not sure what hall but there might be a hall out there that will welcome Bobby one day.

An aside to your hero worship, everytime I see Rafferty's stat line as a 24 year old AHL rookie, it puts into perspective and adds to my utter amazement of Q's fabulous first year. The comparison helps hit home the significance of Q's historic pace and the gap between a potentially nice prospect/future roster player and someone who is imbued with God given gifts.

Edited by zimmy
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

23 hours ago, zimmy said:

Well ..... I'm not sure what hall but there might be a hall out there that will welcome Bobby one day.

An aside to your hero worship, everytime I see Rafferty's stat line as a 24 year old AHL rookie, it puts into perspective and adds to my utter amazement of Q's fabulous first year. The comparison helps hit home the significance of Q's historic pace and the gap between a potentially nice prospect/future roster player and someone who is imbued with God given gifts.

The thing about Quinn is that he makes everyone better...Stecher played his best game as a Canuck last night and it was the type of game I thought he could put out there right from his rookie season, but with Green holding guys back ( because that is what happened to him as a rookie) it has taken Quinn to show him the way.

I think Rafferty could come in and benefit from the Quinn effect pretty, pretty ,,,pretty quick.

I just hope it isn't because we traded Stecher...we will see tomorrow....

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The thing about Quinn is that he makes everyone better...Stecher played his best game as a Canuck last night and it was the type of game I thought he could put out there right from his rookie season, but with Green holding guys back ( because that is what happened to him as a rookie) it has taken Quinn to show him the way.

I think Rafferty could come in and benefit from the Quinn effect pretty, pretty ,,,pretty quick.

I just hope it isn't because we traded Stecher...we will see tomorrow....

Green holds players back?  I don't get that at all nor have I heard anybody say that.  I think you mean that he makes players earn their ice time.  There's a huge difference

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Stecher, but I think as a 15 minute per game 20 point D, we should deal him for an asset rather than watch him walk.  I think that a combo of Rafferty, Brisebois, Chatfield, and to a lesser extent Juolevi and Tryamkin would be able to provide the same value.

I really want to see what we have in Rafferty.  If his game translates to the next level, he would fix a lot of cap issues for this team.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Green holds players back?  I don't get that at all nor have I heard anybody say that.  I think you mean that he makes players earn their ice time.  There's a huge difference

Some posters here keep saying that as if those posters know how to coach an NHL team more than Green does. Very weird.

• Thanks 1