The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

buddyguy

Hell no.  This guy is so much of a liability in his own end he doesn't even belong in the NHL  Let another team have this pylon stink up the joint for them.  Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Hughes, Schenn, Biega, OJ, Sautner, Briesbrois are all more capable of actually playing defense.  Would be a worse contract than LE and wouldn't want hm at league minimum.

There also always seems to be a CDC trend to maginify flaws on players who don’t play for us.

Remember when Schenn was the slowest skater in the league and was garbage?

Turns out he isn’t that slow and is a serviceable 3rd pairing/depth guy who brings physicality.

We have to look at all options for our D so it looks nothing like what it did for the last few seasons.  

The left side defense is fine as it is now. Just re-sign Edler for 2 years max to save the expansion draft protection slot and we'll be good. There is progression with Edler being the elder statesmen, Hutton a top-4 place holder, and Hughes on the third pair. Juolevi will replace Hutton and then as him and Hughes get better they'll naturally overtake Edler's spot. 

Benning should be focusing on improving the right side defense via drafting and trades and not through free-agency.

2 hours ago, buddyguy said:

Irfaan Gaffar has been filling in for Alex Auld on Canucks Central at noon and mentioned that the Canucks will make a push to sign Jake Gardiner on July 1st. The contract offer could be around 5-6 years. 

I thought it would be a good time to post this here and get your feedback about signing Jake Gardiner. Does this mean we trade Hutton or Juolevi? How much would you be willing to pay him?

I personally hope we try and sign Karlsson but if that doesn't happen then I think Gardiner is a good B option. Let me know your thoughts!

I've found no source for this so this is basically a regurgitated spitball

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who do we trade for that top 4 d man?

This is a fair point. Canucks have some young players on cheap contracts they could throw around (virtanen comes to mind) but it’s true that getting one of these top 4 guys would be tough. Some guys I was considering Aquiring for the Canucks would be:

Niskanen (wsh)

Muzzin (la)

Miller (vgk)

savard (cbj)

murphy (chi)

braun (sjs)

brodin (min)

these guys are all all over the place in terms of value, so it’s hard to project what exactly the Canucks would have to give up to get them. But I think these are the doors they should be knocking on first, before they call up gardiner or Myers or Karlsson 

This doesn’t make too much sense unless maybe Edler and Hutton are gone. Hughes and potentially Juolevi will be providing some more offense to the backend but I wouldn’t mind taking Gardiner on a 1-2 year deal. Anything more than that seems like a mistake. 

Perhaps JB didn't watch game one of the Toronto/Boston series, Gardiner presumably is their 3rd best dman had the 5 least amount of ice time of the blueliners in game 1.  He struggled mightily in his own zone, leading Babcock to sit him.

He is fairly good offensively, but he is on par defensively with Derrick Pouliot, doesn't read the play but simply reacts.  Just processes the game so slow in his own zone and makes a lot of dumb plays.  Hard no.

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Perhaps JB didn't watch game one of the Toronto/Boston series, Gardiner presumably is their 3rd best dman had the 5 least amount of ice time of the blueliners in game 1.  He struggled mightily in his own zone, leading Babcock to sit him.

He is fairly good offensively, but he is on par defensively with Derrick Pouliot, doesn't read the play but simply reacts.  Just processes the game so slow in his own zone and makes a lot of dumb plays.  Hard no.

Gardiner has elite skating, but has always play way too soft - almost scared.

9 minutes ago, 6string said:

tr.pdnHH.jpg.a93533e898da5daa69ae0dbc558a134f.jpg

NO ??? Explain yourself??

Ceci 25, 6'2 plays on a very bad time plays 22:34mins per game ..

GP 74 - G 7  PTS 26 Playing against other teams top line??

My friend is a season ticket holder in Ottawa and he likes Ceci..

I don't think you have watched him play.... 

Don't no why I am replying back to a guy that can't explain himself and has never watched Ceci play.........lol  lol  lol  

Archived