The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

3 hours ago, goblix said:

Curious on why you lost respect for Dhaliwal? if anything you should be gaining respect no ?

Dhaliwal has been reporting what's been going on. Prior to a couple days ago it was stalled which he reported and when the negotiations was looking good and picked up again he reported that too.

Seems like he's been accurate in his reports.

The variance in information coming from him the last few days. He's the most accurate local insider but I'm under the impression he was being played by Edler's agent a bit and given that he's generally pretty good that surprises me.

It's a tough gig in sports media but that's my take. 

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The problem is that players who are probably going to decline in production during the contract being discussed , puts a false value on their true worth. Hence why players get bought out such as Perry. Although Edler is probably worth the money now, if he signed a longer contract, we may have got stuck with an improperly assessed contract and we would have the problem of trying to get rid of him in 3,4 years.

Teams fall in the trap of paying too much for a player and hence messing it up for everyone else. Who knows how a player is going to perform in 7-8 years(See Chicago).

I think Edler 's contract is great as it allows to the team to continually pay him what he is worth no matter how long his career is.

I honestly think he would have got considerably more on the open market with two year deal. In fact I think he could have had a higher cap hit on a front loaded 4 year deal on the open market.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder when the terms of the NMC fall off...... if I remember correctly (I may be wrong), NMCs carry until July 1st of every year.  If that is the case, wouldn't he need to be protected for the Expansion Draft? 

Also, he has an NMC, but does that mean he has an NTC?  An NMC means he cannot be placed on waivers or sent to minors (or be eligible for Expansion Draft for that matter), BUT doesn't mean that he cannot be traded, which is the purpose of an NTC.  Does that mean he can be traded, since his contract has an NMC, but doesn't appear to have an NTC? *edit*  Just verified that an NMC includes full-NTC, unless otherwise specified (thank you CapFriendly!)

I will try to look into this a little deeper, but if anyone has any insight, can they please enlighten me and/or others, if that is possible.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by Keenan's Moustache

39 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

With the NMC, I'm assuming no one should be expecting any "trade Edler at the TDL" rumors over the next 2-years unless Edler himself asks for the opportunity to be dealt to a contender.

That clause will not stop some people from either suggesting or demanding he get traded, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What an entirely false narrative about a "warrior" like player who gives everything he has for the Canucks organization (inclusive now of leaving term/$ on the table that were out there in free agency).    Brutal character assassination of one of the most loyal and capable players to ever put on the uniform.   No, he isn't' a superstar but he is the type of player EVERY team in the NHL would love to have and the type you win with.

Some posts on CDC are so far down the "shake you head" road you really wonder what people expect.    

Rant done....

Like I said, good signing given the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Amebushi said:

Freedom 40 plan?  This is great as he is 33 and signed a 2 year deal that is very club friendly. The guy has battled through more adversity than most can imagine,  been our best defender for quite a while and never got the support he should have in terms of players on the ice or from “fans” like you. This is a great signing, lots of upside, virtually bo risk. You won’t get a better dman this year without giving up assets, more term and more money. 

As to the nickname...I’m guessing you just started watching hockey recently. Edler just took one for the team and you say he doesn’t care. It’s no wonder UFA’s won’t come here without Albatross contracts. 

Ya I'm graduating from roller hockey spectator to the bigs.

4 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

To what are you basing any of this on?

Yeah that nickname is almost as bad as someone using the word “terribad” in real life. 

Past performance from #23

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I doubt the Nucks are going to be anywhere close to winning the cup during the next to years. 

The team needs Edler to do what he's always done; eat up big minutes, add some physical presence and ++ experience.  There is no dman on the team that can replace Edler as of yet.  Having him for 2 more years gives the young LDs more time to develop and JB more time to build a solid defence.

You personal account of Edler's character aside...He clealry is the right signing for the team at this point in time.

Like I said, Good signing Given the Circumstances. However, this is the type of player we don't want to target in the future. Never quite meets expectation (except in a contract year, seems like he plays down to his pay grade a lot of the time. 

Funny how short the memory of the fanbase is. Edler was the whipping boy for awhile (non-contract years) with his lackadaisical play and bonehead giveaways. He has been asked to punch above his weight fr awhile, I will concede that.

Now that the panic of signing a D-man has subsided and the Euphoria over his contract details is in full swing, Edler is the big hero LOL. Everything about his contract was a PERSONAL decision. The needs of the team didn't factor into Edler's thought process one iota. Don't be so naive.

Now let's see if he reverts back to non-contract year Edler....

Edited by Boeserker

39 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

I wonder when the terms of the NMC fall off...... if I remember correctly (I may be wrong), NMCs carry until July 1st of every year.  If that is the case, wouldn't he need to be protected for the Expansion Draft? 

Also, he has an NMC, but does that mean he has an NTC?  An NMC means he cannot be placed on waivers or sent to minors (or be eligible for Expansion Draft for that matter), BUT doesn't mean that he cannot be traded, which is the purpose of an NTC.  Does that mean he can be traded, since his contract has an NMC, but doesn't appear to have an NTC? *edit*  Just verified that an NMC includes full-NTC, unless otherwise specified (thank you CapFriendly!)

I will try to look into this a little deeper, but if anyone has any insight, can they please enlighten me and/or others, if that is possible.  Thank you in advance!

You don't need to look into it.  The expansion draft is not based on the contracts that are expiring it only considers contracts for the following year.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Which means, moving out of bodies, especially on the already-crowded left side.

Edler*

Hughes*

Hutton

Juolevi

Pouliot

-----

Sautner

Brisebois

*locked in

Pouliot for sure and probably Hutton. Sautner and Brisebois showed promise so they can easily replace the other 2. Rounding out our top 4 should be the priority for improvement. 

Either help for the PP or help clearing the crease is my guess. 

Edited by EdgarM

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Pouliot for sure and probably Hutton. Sautner and Brisebois showed promise so they can easily replace the other 2. Rounding out our top 4 should be the priority for improvement. 

Either help for the PP or help clearing the crease is my guess. 

Didn't the Canucks already tell Pouliot he was not coming back?

There are differing opinions on Edlers rank in a solid defensive lineup (currently #1 for the Canucks) but he is definitely a loyal and good teammate. 

This is a win - win and sign of a good guy.  

Glad to see him back in Canucks colors.

1 hour ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

The only difference between an NTC and a NMC is being sent to the minors. No Movement means exactly that - the player can't be moved off the team in any way without his permission.

The last expansion Vegas could offer a contract to a teams pending UFA and if the offer was accepted that player would count as their selection from that team. If the pending UFA turned the offer down they had to select somebody else from the team. So essentially Edler being a pending UFA, is self protected without being protected by the team.