The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Damn...JT has been a revelation. He's found a home. He's playing like he belongs here. Great trade, at the moment. We make the playoffs, I would fully say that 1st rounder is worth it. Honestly, gotta say though...the team seems to be missing Sutter. They just started falling off when he got injured. Gaudette is scoring pretty well, but holding leads has been a problem. Makes me wonder how the future of our bottom 6 is truly gonna look.

This is an interesting look. There were a few times in the 3rd where the team could've easily put out Horvat for an offensive faceoff when we had the lead, but Green chose to put Gaudette out. He risked playing with the lead against an eastern team that had lesser bearing to the standings if we gave up the point to them to give Gaudette more experience. Not saying Gaudette was the problem, but we could've gained more possession at this point and controlled the game a bit more, but then Horvat's minutes would be elevated. Looks like Green is managing minutes and trying to develop our players on the fly.

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is an interesting look. There were a few times in the 3rd where the team could've easily put out Horvat for an offensive faceoff when we had the lead, but Green chose to put Gaudette out. He risked playing with the lead against an eastern team that had lesser bearing to the standings if we gave up the point to them to give Gaudette more experience. Not saying Gaudette was the problem, but we could've gained more possession at this point and controlled the game a bit more, but then Horvat's minutes would be elevated. Looks like Green is managing minutes and trying to develop our players on the fly.

Wasnt bo held out for concussion?

More than just his game Miller brings a calming leadership and accountability quality.  Great to have him as one of the leadership group. 

I  wonder if they had waited to name a Captain how much consideration he would be getting at this point?

Bo was the right choice but Miller would not be a bad choice to this point.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

I think JT might be the best overall player on the Canucks. Not saying he is better than Pettersson talent wise but Miller has that veteran presence that our young guns can look to and rely on 

Veteran presence at 26! Love it! This kid is like money in the bank. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smokes said:

This trade why I am glad Benning is the GM and I am armchairing. I love when I am proven wrong.

Feels much better to be proven right. Just saying ^_^ Plus you don't have to feel so negative all the time, good for the soul.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Was thinking about it actually :lol:

Though I think some of my better responses personally on this trade were in a Canucks talk thread and not this one.

Either way though, I was completely baffled (so the usual :lol:) at the vitriol and negativity both here and in social media on acquiring Miller.

People REALLY ought to take better looks at players they're clearly unfamiliar with and try to do a bit more critical thinking and forecasting before putting their feet SO firmly in their mouths with their hot takes and jumping on the opinions of the usual, negative 'twits' :lol:

Oh well, I guess it keeps the board interesting!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, DontMessMe said:

Haha...Sekeres is an idiot.

If you want a laugh, go back in this thread to page 8 (when we found out JB traded a 1st rounder) and read the comments. So many bad ones.....:lol:

Edit: my own first comment also sucked lol. But I liked the trade shortly after when I was able to do more research on JT Miller - I did not know much about him at the time of the trade.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

We really should hold the media responsible for the negative spin and it’s trickle down into this fanbase and message board. It’s remarkable how little most of these goobs on the radio know about players and prospects around the league not to mention in this organization, yet they have the audacity to criticize a blockbuster trade when it happens at the draft in their own city!!!

Were there any media who remained agnostic on the trade when it happened? I seem to remember all criticizing as an overpay and salivating at the opportunity to carry forward the “Dim Jim” moniker. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha...Sekeres is an idiot.

If you want a laugh, go back in this thread to page 8 (when we found out JB traded a 1st rounder) and read the comments. So many bad ones.....:lol:

Edit: my own first comment also sucked lol. But I liked the trade shortly after when I was able to do more research on JT Miller - I did not know much about him at the time of the trade.

I love how some people were saying we should have used our pick to get Subban instead.

Subban currently has 5 points and is on one of the worst teams in the league. I can only imagine the reaction to us giving up a top 10 pick for a washed up egomaniac.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I love how some people were saying we should have used our pick to get Subban instead.

Subban currently has 5 points and is on one of the worst teams in the league. I can only imagine the reaction to us giving up a top 10 pick for a washed up egomaniac.

they wanted Gaudette along with that too. Pay-Kah isn't worth that. 

• Haha 1

AYYYY GUYS IM READY TO GET FLAMED! Do you guys think Miller can keep this up for next season too?

What kind of trade value does he have now? Must have increased, whats his value at the deadline.  

Law of economics: Buy low; sell high :P 

Time to get flamed. But plz be peaceful :)

***Obviously we will get KEEP him tho. Just trying to get a hypothetical value yenno :)

Edited by DontMessMe

I was one of the ones who was on the fence about the trade.  I had watched J.T. Miller a handful of times and loved the player (stated that he was basically a Horvat clone) and I’d be fine with giving up a first for Horvat although at the time I thought it was fair value.  So far Miller has gone above and beyond fair value.

I love what Miller brings to the table and the player he is/what he has been doing so far. 

My problem is JB not being able to negotiate. Imagine if we could have landed him for a 2nd or prospect we weren't super high on. 

One of the reporters metioned JB took the offer without countering. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

14 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This thread should be a first ballot candidate for the forum HoF. Not quite "Burrows? Do we need him?", but it's up there.

Hmm..what about my April Proposal where I suggested, let's get JT Miller?(Tanev was main part of pkg) Not even one person in Asia seemed to care

about my nice prediction! :^)

7 minutes ago, kacholu said:

I love what Miller brings to the table and the player he is/what he has been doing so far. 

My problem is JB not being able to negotiate. Imagine if we could have landed him for a 2nd or prospect we weren't super high on. 

One of the reporters metioned JB took the offer without countering. 

really?

you think the first offer tampa put out there

is that they wanted a conditional 1st rounder

they only want the 1st in the year the nucks make the playoffs

cuz yeah, they prefer a lower pick in the first round

do you even think before you post such nonsense ?

• Upvote 1