The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, damn. I thought he'd go LTIR.

Well, at least we know. 

Well is it a LTIRetirement? Dorsett openly said he was retiring as well and was on LTIR.

Either way, congrats to Lu for a great career.

Ian Clark is one of the best goalie coaches I've ever worked with and helped me a lot during my time in Vancouver. Rollie Melanson too, he played a big part during my later years in Vancouver.

Guess he knows what he's talking about.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Anyone thinking this is bad check this one out

If Weber retires before:      Penalty per year – NSH         Penalty per year – MTL
2019-20                                          $3.51MM                                              $918K
2020-21                                          $4.1MM                                                $762K
2021-22                                          $4.91MM                                              $543K
2022-23                                          $6.14MM                                             $215K
2023-24                                           $8.19MM                                             None
2024-25                                           $12.29MM                                           None
2025-26                                           $24.57MM                                           None

Apologies if format sucks

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/07/the-salary-cap-implications-of-a-shea-weber-early-retirement.html

That would really suck for Nashville, considering that the only reason that contract got structured that was was due to matching an offer sheet from the Flyers.

• Upvote 1

Damn. I really thought he would go on LTIR like everyone else, but I guess the key difference was everyone else was still on their original team, while Luongo is no longer a Canuck, so he would feel less bad about hitting us with that recapture.  The good news is it's only for 3m for 3 years and not the dreaded 8m it could have been later.  We can handle that caphit without much problem for 3 years.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 1

Well there is enough wiggle room in that letter to argue it is a medical retirement and LTIR.... maybe?

There are guys like Dorset that retired due to medical issues and were able to be on LTIR... no doctor in the world doesn’t give Luongo a medical letter stating he can’t play due to his hip.

Edited by Provost

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Confirmed:  Luongo does not have mystery illness, Canucks do not get out of the recapture penalty like everyone else.  Buttman and NHL hate Vancouver. 

THE END.

Its not over yet, wait and see how it plays out. He's just decided that he can't play anymore. From my understanding, he was meeting with doctors, due to lingering injury issues, before he made the decision to stop playing.

The man would go through an hour and a half of rehab every day just to get on the ice.

His hip is a wreck.  This guy should qualify for LTIR.

I imagine Canucks will file some sort of request to the league to see if they let them off.  They mostly let NJ off of penalties on Kovalchuk.

Don't think we will get it because, you know, The Canucks.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

3M a year is fine it would have been a huge problem if he retired 2 years from now and slapped us with a 8m cap hit.

It’s actually less because we were paying 800k of his salary. Just jettison some baggage and we’re good. Better he did it now than later as you say. 

Have to respect the guy’s integrity. Choosing not to use the IR loophole and take a lot of money. Most including myself wouldn’t do that.

thank you Lou, for all you did for us , the excitement and congrats on a great career and a HHOF induction down the road

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Well there is enough wiggle room in that letter to argue it is a medical retirement.... maybe?

Indeed:

I love the game so much, but the commitment I required to prepare, to keep my body ready, has become overwhelming. Since I had my hip surgery a couple of years ago, I've been showing up two hours before every practice and three hours before every game to work out my hip. Even at night, whether it was the night before a game or even a night off, there I was rolling out, doing strengthening exercises. My entire life revolved around recovery, strengthening and making sure I was ready to go the next day.

Then thinking about getting onto the ice in late July, for the first time in my career, I wasn't excited about it. That was the sign for me. It's not that I don't love playing hockey anymore, but I had to listen to my body. I'm at the point where my body was telling me it just needed a rest. It didn't really want to get going.

I hope this cap hit doesn't mean we'll be stuck with Biega and Goldobin....  please just no!!! This offseason is supposed to bring us upgrades to both ends of the ice.... last summer JB was stupid enough to waste $ on Beagle and Schaller....

• Haha 1